The Amazing Spider Man 2 (2014)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Winter Soldier in Cap2 had about half the screen time of Harry, and yet he feels less underdeveloped to me.

Why is that? Because Bucky had an entire film before it to set the character up.

Harry should've had as well OR he should've gotten the entire film for himself, antagonistically speaking.

Electro in this movie felt a pointless inclusion from a writing point of view. Or at least it felt too much combined with the fact that Harry needed an entire setup as well.

Electro in this movie felt a pointless inclusion from a writing point of view.

Agreed. I can only think they had him in it so as not to have it seem like SM1 minus the origin story. We saw 2 Goblins in action via the Raimi films so they thought the audience might have felt too much ''been there, done that'' with Harry's Goblin alone.

Last edited:
Are there long time spider-man comic book readers here? People who've actually read the original comics with gwen stacey?

How do you guys feel about ASM2?

Yup, I didn't read them when they came out though, but I thought it did the comics justice other than having the wrong Goblin do the deed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. I can only think they had him in it so as not to have it seem like SM1 minus the origin story. We saw 2 Goblins in action via the Raimi films so they thought the audience might have felt too much ''been there, done that'' with Harry's Goblin alone.

What would've been really awesome to me if this film had ditched both Electro and Goblin, and had Harry as Venom.

Just one entire movie dedicated to setting up Harry as Venom. They could've given Rhino a bit more to do in a bit more of a classic take, just to have a few more different action beats possibly. Maybe have the end reveal Rhino was working for "someone".

But this movie had too much to do for one film, mostly because ASM1 basically did nothing but establish Peter and Gwen.

Because I highly disagree that that is the case.

Harry - Felt Burned by his father who threw him away... Was dying of a rare sickness. Was angry and felt betrayed by Peter/Spider man.
Zod - Felt Burned by his People who threw him away... Needed a new world. Was angy and felt betrayed by Superman and his father. Has a cool girlfriend though.
Lois Lane - Well She is a reporter.... and Superman's got a crush on her
All others at Daily Planet - They work at a Newspaper and I know them from the comics... So I guess I should care.

Seriosly though... It's cool you like MOS and not TASM... Obviously our opinions are very different here.

Actually no, my opinion of what you summed up is largely the same. And Lois Lane was forced in Man of STeel too, I agree.

The problem is you mention Zod next to Harry but Zod was THE villain of Man of Steel. Any conflict in the entire film was basically his to dominate character-wise except for one battle scene with Faora. To boot, Faora is nothing but a drone of Zod, she basically represents his beliefs and therefor extends Zod's character development vicariously. She's his soldier under his regime. Harry in ASM2? Not so much. Neither of any of those things. Goblin and Electro received an almost equal treatment in character setup, that had absolutely NOTHING to do with each other except that Harry at some point is like 'yow dude help me out man. This spiderguy sucks!' and the result is that neither got enough time to deal with their arc in a good way. That is to say Electro got the better end of the deal imo because his arc stands on its own, but Harry had only one, ONE scene with his father (the cause of both his physical and mental status)? What the frig? ONE scene!? Really?

It's completely incomparable. Zod was very well established in Man of Steel and he had at the very least half the film to do it. Harry has at best a fourth of this film dedicated to him and that's saying it kindly. I never compared the villains in one to the other. Only reason I mentioned man of steel was because that film has the tonal issue once, at the end, that ASM2 has the entire film through.

Harry becomes Venom in the Ultimate Spider-man cartoon and I think it has potential to mirror him that way toward Spider-man.

I meant it more to have an alternate route then the green goblin.

Harry - Felt Burned by his father who threw him away... Was dying of a rare sickness. Was angry and felt betrayed by Peter/Spider man.
Zod - Felt Burned by his People who threw him away... Needed a new world. Was angy and felt betrayed by Superman and his father. Has a cool girlfriend though.
Lois Lane - Well She is a reporter.... and Superman's got a crush on her
All others at Daily Planet - They work at a Newspaper and I know them from the comics... So I guess I should care.

Seriosly though... It's cool you like MOS and not TASM... Obviously our opinions are very different here.

I have to agree with this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harry becomes Venom in the Ultimate Spider-man cartoon and I think it has potential to mirror him that way toward Spider-man.

I meant it more to have an alternate route then the green goblin.

this is very intriguing, I'm a huge venom and eddie brock fan but to help tie venom into this world, I'd be ok with Harry trying to create a cure for his disease and in turn creates the symbiote and turns into venom. Have they confirmed that Eddie Brock will be venom in the venom movie? And considering Harry knows spider-man is peter it would be a way to give venom that knowledge without making peter wear the suit first.

Also it's factually incorrect Norman threw Harry away, on the contrary, he hopes Harry can live on where he couldn't. Nothing else is said except that Norman clearly isn't a cool father.

And there's nothing else to set him up. There's nothing that shows what kindof of a dude Harry is. Zod has freakin 18 minutes, that Krypton prologue is 18 freakin minutes to establish his entire origin and then he has the entire second act of the entire film. Harry gets one setup scene in a film he shares with what is considered the MAIN villain, Electro, who ALSO needs an entirely new setup.

Come on man, it's completely incomparable. ASM2 juggled way too many things, within a tonally inconsistent structure. Also 'tone' is not whether good or bad stuff happens, it's not ups and downs in situations the character finds himself in, it's the vibe of the film and how it engages its characters, how it lets them respond to ups and downs. Iron Man is a lighthearted tone even though some super heavy **** goes down in that film. Winter Soldier is a dramatic tone but still has plenty of solid lighter moments that it weaves in perfectly. But it's consistent in how it approaches everything. Same with most CB movies these days. Whether I liked them or not, most CB movies these days have quit a solid consistency in their approach.

But ASM2 was an indescribable mess from a directing point of view.

Ah well, I'll read any replies and then probably get out this thread. I've had my say anyway. No need to be repetitive.

Brock was confirmed to exist in viral media because he writes articles for the Bugle.

I recommend watching the Ultimate Spider-man cartoon if you're intrigued. That's where I got it from.

I'm with Khev, Jaws, and pturtle on this one. :lol

Saw it twice now, wife cried during the aunt May scene where Peter was asking for the truth, i'll admit it gave me a lump in my throat as well.

The ending was still wonderful.

This movie reminded me how much tolerance I have for poor pacing, structure and character motivation when the rest of the movie quality is so much damn fun!

WIN.

:lol :lol :lol

I'm with Khev, Jaws, and pturtle on this one. :lol

Saw it twice now, wife cried during the aunt May scene where Peter was asking for the truth, i'll admit it gave me a lump in my throat as well.

The ending was still wonderful.

This movie reminded me how much tolerance I have for poor pacing, structure and character motivation when the rest of the movie quality is so much damn fun!

WIN.

Yeah man, happenstance, my allergies kicked in. :lol

Brock was confirmed to exist in viral media because he writes articles for the Bugle.

I recommend watching the Ultimate Spider-man cartoon if you're intrigued. That's where I got it from.

that's viral media, if they want to make harry venom I'm sure they wouldn't pay any intention to that. Harry is in prison, I can see them delivering venom to him and it some how creates a spawn in the process and there's cassidy a few blocks down that the carnage symbiote attaches itself too. It seems very plausible but unlikely they would do that, they seem very intent on keeping things as "comic accurate" as possible, despite how much better it might be for the "film world" to create their own path for these characters.

Back