Superman line from Mattel

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: 1/6 Superman line from Mattel?

I got Zod today (and Egon). The head is very simplistic, about on the level of the Character Options Doctor Who figures. But it definitely looks like Stamp. I'm wondering if a paint job might bring it out more. I still don't understand the red on the suit, but I'll have to look at the movie again - perhaps there is some justification for it.

Have to stay I still HATE these boxes - impossible to get into!

A note from Matty's Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=221823748400
Hey Superman Fans… There’s been some discussion about the color of the costume fabric on our new General Zod figure. We checked with Terry Higuchi, the Mattel senior designer on the project, and here’s what he told us: “The actual outfits that Zod, Non and Ursa wear in the films have a unique red/black material. I contacted the Superman museum, which holds the props, to verify this. However, it is impossible to locate the exact fabric used in the films. We have come up with our closest match which is a red metallic color with a translucent black coating. Attempts were made to make the coating darker, but the red started to look brown. After submitting the options for licensor approval, it was decided that the current material was the best option. The flash photography does make the red color stand out.” Hope that helps. --Matty

I still don't understand the red on the suit, but I'll have to look at the movie again - perhaps there is some justification for it.

Dave - Watch the Donner Cut - you'll see there is undeniably red on all the Villains costumes, though not nearly as vivid...
As for the simplicity of the figures themselves - okay - not up to today's standards but as far as I'm concerned, these are the figures we should have got back in '79 anyway so basic seems apt provided they are genuine interpretations of the actors, which they are, so to me they will be filling a yawning gap in my childhood.

Any chance of a shot of the whole package???
Doubt i'll be receiving my order 'till after Christmas...

I can see the red on the suits if I watch the released-in-theaters version on DVD scaled up to 1080i by my Blu-ray player.

I got Zod today,
Soft sculpt , does look like Stamp, not sure if a paintjob would fix it though.

I think if they couldnt match the black aspect of the red , then they should have done the general "percieved " color of shiny Black.

Does anyone know if they are doing a Movie Lex, or the other 2 Superman 2 Villians ??

I think if they couldnt match the black aspect of the red , then they should have done the general "percieved " color of shiny Black.

Did you not read this?

Attempts were made to make the coating darker, but the red started to look brown. After submitting the options for licensor approval, it was decided that the current material was the best option.

It's obvious that Warner Bros./DC obviously wanted the red there.

Visiting the Superman museum and seeing the boots on display there is a hint of red. That I do know.

Yes I read that , and I appreciate that they tried , but after failing, why go with the stark Red ?
I doubt anyone would have questioned the appearance if they had simply gone w shiny black for the pieces.

Why stick with that material if it didnt give them the results they are looking for ?
You could more easily do a treatment of misting red over the Black instead of the other way around, so you would have that hint of red.

Aside from my own tastes, I see others turned off to buying it , with it looking loudly different than most printed pictures, collector cards , posters, video releases etc... that I have seen and collected over the years.

I would like them to get things " right " as I would like to see this line continue . Many things will effect current sales and the future of the line itself.

Kids arent buying these, it's us, paycheck earning collectors ......

I know Sideshow wrestles with this all the time, but I think screen accurate is more important than real-life accurate when it comes to costuming color. There may be a hint of red in the actual costumes - but that's not how it appears on screen.

Judging from the pix and owner comments, the head looks like someone with a little talent should re-work it. Nothing radical; just another generation of detailing or 2. As for the red... it needs to go away...PS

Even if the original costume had red in it, the red is not a good match and is too much. The prototype looked bad with the red. I thought if it was improved I would want to pick one up. The final product looks too far off from what I remember and see on screen. I wonder if the original costumes were designed that way to play with light on set like the grey/white reflective Krytonian suits.
-MACHone

I don't see these selling at this price point. Ghostbusters have the proton pack, which helps to justify the cost. But a crappy headsculpt, screen inaccurate clothing, and a broken gun don't warrant a price higher than $40 here (at most), in my opinion. I know there is a market for original Superman stuff, but only the most hardcore collectors are going to be buying sub-par stuff like this, I would wager.

Here's to hoping that Hot Toys releases more original Superman stuff at some point.

And unrelated to the figure, but this Zod reminded me of his 2008 bid for the presidency (pretty funny stuff):

https://www.zod2008.com/index.htm

With that crimson red in the costume, i have to say it makes him look like an exspensive gay hooker from the eighties.

Yes I read that , and I appreciate that they tried , but after failing, why go with the stark Red ?

Again, it's clear from their statement that the red was a demand on the part of the licensor.

Something as primitive as smudging a black sharpie into the red should dull it sufficiently...
And I love the packaging- nice to see the MOVIE crystal artwork on an action figure box- some real thought has gone into the Oval Office presentation too...and a set of flying hands!

Looking forward to finding Reeve under that nice silver shield. It's been a long wait....

After submitting the options for licensor approval, it was decided that the current material was the best option.

Not demanded, just lazy !! So it appears that they just didnt feel like correcting it, or they had already bought all the fabric stock for this figure, and said screw it .

If you are employed by them or were involved, then fine I can see your defending the decision so much. If you like it, fine also. Its just that a number of Superman fans and collectors seem to not, and they are listing this as reasoning for not buying him, which effects the continuation of the line.

I agree this is more like a 40 dollar figure. At 60 at least the Ghostbusters have gadgets , electronics etc... they are worth it just for the jumpsuit and backpack.

They could have been more creative w Zod's accessories than a couple hands and bad plastic guns.

Maybe 1/ 2 of the Fortress of Solitude crystal control stand and a couple crystals.. The other half could come with the Superman figure. That would have been an accessory and easy display item relevant to a scene from the film and both characters . That could have had lighting like the GB backpack.

Also at 40 Id prob buy 3 of him and alter the outfits for the other 2 villain customs. As it is, maybe Ill cut up the costume, pattern it and redo it w a blacker material. Or maybe on the 2nd string market I will get a couple cheaper.

- stay away from the Sharpie :lol, I wouldnt suggest it on this plastic coating, it'll streak . I might try a cell vinyl paint airbrushing. Its just a lot to cover w the boots etc.. --

Planet Houston, signing off........
:cool:Russ

Back