Styracosaurus Maquette

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
snapped a couple more with the t-rex.

IMG_1176.jpg

IMG_1174.jpg

IMG_1175.jpg

Nice shots, Craw. That skull is a real monstrosity!

I'm sure the Deinosuchus skull won't be to scale with the model. That would be... absurd, right? That doesn't seem to be the case anyway, judging from the stock photos.

Agreed. Judging from the photos the Deinosuchus skull will most definitely not be to scale. That would be an exclusive of insane proportions.

personally i think bigger is better when it comes to the skulls. especially when we gotta pay extra for them.

I agree, I just wish they made the other skulls bigger as well. They don't look right sitting next to each other.

Not meaning this in any where near a smart ass way..ok ?

Why display all the skulls together ? Display it alone, or with the piece seperate from the others ?

If you really must have a smaller Styrac skull there are possibilities as well.

Why display all the skulls together ? Display it alone, or with the piece seperate from the others ?

Agreed. I never planned on displaying mine next to each other, but it's still strange how the T-rex skull dosen't match the head on the maquette.

Do the Carnosaurus and Triceratops skulls match the fleshed out statues? I missed out on those exclusives.:banghead

I think this ones my favorite, he's so cute.
Mine came today but of course I wasn't home to get it.

Picked up the regal Styracosaurus tonight after work. Review and photos coming soon! :emperor:chew:emperor:chew:emperor:chew

One thing I'll say in response to Blade, I wouldn't display the skulls together and separate from the statues. The exclusive skulls (thus far) are to scale with the statues, which are not to scale with one another. The result is that the Styracosaurus skull dwarfs ALL other skulls. I'm not complaining, the detail on each skull is elegant, and the Styracosaurus is no exception. The skulls seem to represent a typical member of the species and not the individual organism. This explains why the horns on the Styracosaurus don't match up precisely with the exclusive skull, and why the T.rex skull is a bit smaller than the head of the Tyrannosaur in the maquette - that individual intended to be an extremely large, senior, alpha male. Skulls with the statues.

I'll post my review as soon as I can. :rock

Awesome..and very addicting.. :D

I wonder how much input the artists are being allowed for each piece ? Are they just following Sideshow's pre-existing sketches with a few of their own details and flare or do they get complete freedom ?

Last edited:
I'm sure its a little of both but with probably freer reign given to the individual artist than with any of the copyrighted lines.

For now I'll enjoy the wonderful photos of this beast posted so far since mine is sitting wrapped under the tree (thanks to the missus). :banana

Well, the first two pieces had "behind the scenes" vids, but they were just those brief discussions outlining some notable features. There was a better, much longer video detailing some of the ideas behind Dinosauria, as well. You can see these vids by following the links on the left side of the product page (for the Rex vs. Trike, for example).

I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd like to see another in-depth look at the Dinosauria creative process, however.

The short answer is...:dunno

The skulls look good with the statues, and I suppose that is how I will wind up displaying them due to the size disparity. But for whatever reason I liked the idea of displaying the skulls seperately from the statues with each other.

I can think of several ways to display them..with the statues, without, together, by themselves...all pleasing to me...so really anything could work I guess as long you like it.

Your def not alone Dan. I would like to see production sketches like concepts and such..with notes on who did each one. Sideshow could release a new one with each newsletter to keep interest and it would help show the progress from concept, design, and then final product.

Back