Star Wars: Obi-Wan Kenobi - 1/6th scale Darth Vader™ Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, I'll get blasted, but here goes.

Now that more shots are coming out, I'm seeing a real low effort here, aside from the cracked helmet reveal and a swap-out chest plate. It's the same poorly proportioned Vader that the ESB one was that landed back in the box for me in my collection. This one also features the oversized mail slot codpiece that the R1 version featured. It just looks awkward if you're not staring at the admittedly mesmerizing cracked helmet/wicked eye sculpt.

It's memorializing a scene that was the epitome of "wouldn't that look cool even if it doesn't make total sense" that was part of one of the lowest points of Disney SW with the Kenobi show.

Cheers to those that are stoked and bathing in the hype here. For me, HT has one more chance to get Vader right with the ROTJ version, but judging from this, my expectation is another rehash of the previously released versions with the same ill-proportioned body, the same ill-fitting dome and some slight tweaks & additions (like the hopefully awesome Shaw sculpt). Oh well. Maybe HT is saving a more accurate total makeover for the "Artesian" version...

HT has one more chance to get Vader right with the ROTJ version

I'm right with you... but I fear ROTJ will be the same Vader they all have been.

I also believe HT is deliberating holding back "the goods" for their Artisan Darth Vader.

Now that more shots are coming out, I'm seeing a real low effort here, aside from the cracked helmet reveal and a swap-out chest plate. It's the same poorly proportioned Vader that the ESB one was that landed back in the box for me in my collection. This one also features the oversized mail slot codpiece that the R1 version featured. It just looks awkward if you're not staring at the admittedly mesmerizing cracked helmet/wicked eye sculpt.

It's memorializing a scene that was the epitome of "wouldn't that look cool even if it doesn't make total sense" that was part of one of the lowest points of Disney SW with the Kenobi show.

Cheers to those that are stoked and bathing in the hype here. For me, HT has one more chance to get Vader right with the ROTJ version, but judging from this, my expectation is another rehash of the previously released versions with the same ill-proportioned body, the same ill-fitting dome and some slight tweaks & additions (like the hopefully awesome Shaw sculpt). Oh well. Maybe HT is saving a more accurate total makeover for the "Artesian" version...

I agree, I'm pretty much only excited for the headsculpt on this. I really dislike the source material and its lack of love for the world that its set in, so with this Vader I'm probably going to swap a ton of pieces and just make an amalgamation of the "perfect Vader." or basically a Mythos Vader.

It's a typical Hot Toys release. Minimum effort given with 90% reused inaccurate parts. Rotj Vader will be their fifth Vader in 1/6 scale I think. But still, they refuse to improve. It's not like they couldn't do it, they just don't feel the need to improve. Reusing existing parts is still cheaper than developing something from scratch. People will buy it anyway.

To be fair, I think this one looks much better than the upcoming Rotj version with his weird body proportions. The only good thing about that one is the Shaw sculpt, imo.

Last edited:

Unfornately getting proper "human-like" proportions from Hot Toys has been long out the window. I only really get that feeling with INART figures lately.

The only Vader I've ever seen capture that properly has been @agonistes86 custom. I wouldn't expect it from their ROTJ version or any release soon.

Still very happy with this release but yeah those proportion details you want are not things you're gonna get from them.

313533-IMG-4882-3-small.jpg

Unfornately getting proper "human-like" proportions from Hot Toys has been long out the window. I only really get that feeling with INART figures lately.

The only Vader I've ever seen capture that properly has been @agonistes86 custom. I wouldn't expect it from their ROTJ version or any release soon.

Still very happy with this release but yeah those proportion details you want are not things you're gonna get from them.

He really did a fantastic job on that one. That Vader is pure eye candy.

I find it puzzling that Kaiyodo managed to release a Vader Mask this good 30 years ago and Hot Toys still struggles 30 years later after several tries.

I agree, I'm pretty much only excited for the headsculpt on this. I really dislike the source material and its lack of love for the world that its set in, so with this Vader I'm probably going to swap a ton of pieces and just make an amalgamation of the "perfect Vader." or basically a Mythos Vader.

It's a typical Hot Toys release. Minimum effort given with 90% reused inaccurate parts. Rotj Vader will be their fifth Vader in 1/6 scale I think. But still, they refuse to improve. It's not like they couldn't do it, they just don't feel the need to improve. Reusing existing parts is still cheaper than developing something from scratch. People will buy it anyway.

To be fair, I think this one looks much better than the upcoming Rotj version with his weird body proportions. The only good thing about that one is the Shaw sculpt, imo.
So you all cancelling or what? I’m waiting to pick up another one, I’ll take your spots

ANH Vader 2.0 that came with Tarkin

But that wasn't a different version, was it? I mean, it was supposed to be ANH Vader, with some minor improvement pieces from RO Vader, just packed with Tarkin for the two-pack. Like I wouldn't called ANH Han Solo packed with Chewbacca a different Han Solo -- unless of course it was a different outfit like Stormtrooper Han and Luke.

RO height and proportions, gloves, chestbox, and other differences like having buttons on the belt and straps, paint apps, no voice box, It wasn't a straight reissue and I wouldn't consider them the same like the ESB normal and 40th version.

RO height and proportions, gloves, chestbox, and other differences like having buttons on the belt and straps, paint apps, no voice box, It wasn't a straight reissue and I wouldn't consider them the same like the ESB normal and 40th version.

I suppose. But there was nothing unique about that figure other than it was a bash between RO and ANH. Nothing you couldn't make between the two, right?

Eh, it's more the fact they did the exact same thing as Rebels though.

Slash across one side of face, with someone he shares a past with, mixing Anakin and Vader voice together, talking about how Anakin is gone blah blah blah time to die.
Rebels did the exact same thing.

don’t you dare question the depth of TFU! Vader’s connection to his raged apprentice is unrivaled. The extended edition provides an immaculate alternate universe.

ANH Vader
RO Vader
ESB Vader
OWK Vader
ROTJ Vader

was there another HT Vader?
You need to call those HT Vaders by their proper names:

Insect-face ****-hands Vader
Giant puffy-diaper vertical blinds Vader
Button-nose wonky-sunglasses Vader
Re-use+fan service head Vader
Re-use+ ol' blue eyes/no brows Vader

Thanks!

And the funny thing is, I'm using the HT body and bodysuit on mine. Shaving down the shoulders and traps are all that's needed for the body to work well.

The thing that throws every HT Vader's proportions completely out of whack is the oversized helmet and chest armor. I don't know if it's LFL mandated or HT simply doesn't care enough, but if they resized those two, it would do wonders.
Even the chest armor is not a lot of work. Shaving down the sides and the neckline (allowing it to rider higher up) is all it takes. That's the HT ESB version I'm using.

Back