Star Wars: Episode IX - THE RISE OF SKYWALKER

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hearing that Episode 7 would be happening was a major 'holy ****!' piece of news, I do recall. Then there was the speculation and wait for any bit of news regarding the original cast, whether Ford in particular would come back given his general lack of enthusiasm for Star Wars and Han Solo. After that it was waiting to see them in costume, waiting for the first footage...yeah there was hype

I do. I remember everyone was very excited. It was a big deal

Hearing that Episode 7 would be happening was a major 'holy ****!' piece of news, I do recall. Then there was the speculation and wait for any bit of news regarding the original cast, whether Ford in particular would come back given his general lack of enthusiasm for Star Wars and Han Solo. After that it was waiting to see them in costume, waiting for the first footage...yeah there was hype
I remember that hype… Mostly online stuff. People being excited and all that.

I don’t recall the promotional material hype like TPM had.

I remember that hype… Mostly online stuff. People being excited and all that.

I don’t recall the promotional material hype like TPM had.
It’s a different time, everything is online stuff now. Big movie releases aren’t the same as they used to be, same with video games. You don’t see people out camping and celebrating for new games like they did for things like Halo 2 & 3 etc.

My bad Prime, I guess I always thought you were in New Zealand. It probably was the avatar 😂

Both countries are similarly locked down right?

Yes, and a fair chunk of the NZ population is living in Australia as well so there's another source of confusion.

Both countries also got kudos early on for keeping coronavirus at bay, but turns out it was only because we were on the other side of the world and surrounded by ocean. Our luck has finally run out.

As prep for Villeneuve's Dune I decided to finally read Herbert's novel all the way through, something I haven't attempted since I was in junior high. Just finished it a few days ago and stumbled upon an interesting bit from the first Appendix where it details Imperial Planetologist Kynes' life on Arrakis with the Fremen. Hmm, can't help but wonder if RJ threw in a fun little Dune reference that none of us got...

Dune.jpg

As prep for Villeneuve's Dune I decided to finally read Herbert's novel all the way through, something I haven't attempted since I was in junior high. Just finished it a few days ago and stumbled upon an interesting bit from the first Appendix where it details Imperial Planetologist Kynes' life on Arrakis with the Fremen. Hmm, can't help but wonder if RJ threw in a fun little Dune reference that none of us got...

That was a neat find. Actually gives some meaning to a scene that seemed really odd at the time.

That was a neat find. Actually gives some meaning to a scene that seemed really odd at the time.
I know right! I mocked that line too but now I can't help but feel that it has a different context that is totally valid for a SW flick.

And it wouldn't be the first "real world" reference that was thrown into a SW movie just for fun.

The OT did it. Leia called Chewie a walking carpet which had absolutely no SW context in a galaxy that had no carpet at all, let alone long 70's shag carpet that she was clearly referencing for the benefit of audiences at the time. Or her saying "would it help if I got out and pushed," another real world reference to pushing wheeled cars out of the snow on contemporary Earth. But people got the jokes and forgave the slight breach of verisimilitude.

Referencing other fantasy/sci-fi films in SW has also been done from the very beginning so I'm totally good with that line in TLJ now.

I know right! I mocked that line too but now I can't help but feel that it has a different context that is totally valid for a SW flick.

And it wouldn't be the first "real world" reference that was thrown into a SW movie just for fun.

The OT did it. Leia called Chewie a walking carpet which had absolutely no SW context in a galaxy that had no carpet at all, let alone long 70's shag carpet that she was clearly referencing for the benefit of audiences at the time. Or her saying "would it help if I got out and pushed," another real world reference to pushing wheeled cars out of the snow on contemporary Earth. But people got the jokes and forgave the slight breach of verisimilitude.

Referencing other fantasy/sci-fi films in SW has also been done from the very beginning so I'm totally good with that line in TLJ now.
Mando season 3 will have a line of dialogue that references Pablo Hidalgo shooting a canon at canon :yess:

I assumed it was RJ not trusting the audience to figure it out all by themselves.

Meanwhile, a couple of the things that bugged me about TROS are starting to make more sense in retrospect.

The Final Order: At first I thought, why bother, but then it emerged Palps had founded it during the Empire era, which is more logical. It's also logical he'd want to remake the Imperial forces in the image of the Sith.

Rey Skywalker: The Skywalkers were the family she was looking for, she was mentored and trained by Luke and Leia, part of a Force dyad with Kylo and ended up with his essence inside her (TWSS). I guess if anyone can assume the name Skywalker it's her!

Lol then how do you explain people not buying st when they did the exact same thing?
for me Iron, I bought cases (waves) of figures, Thinking they would be hard to get, go up in value, as did many people whom made money on POTF figures and original Kenner….

This nevwr happened as we had enteres the worls of mass produced junk….they were hot for about 1 year, after AOTC was a HUGE let down, all those toys dies off and you couldnt give them away. I sold off all the stuff I bought still sealed, never displayed.

I think the vast majority of sales were potential fanboys, and fanboys buying for kids whom they HOPED would be the next generation of SW fans…most of them didnt end uo playing with toys like the OT fans did, as the digial age was upon us.

Fast forward to ST, most of us learned our lessons with action figures……and sidnt bother buying them for our own kids (mine were perfect age for it) BUT kids at that age do not give a damn for action figures…..they wanted digital content and other stuff. My kids did play the hell out of SW Lego games…..

So , while I agree the ST garners about similar love as the PT, I attribute any merch sales to be similar, with a slight edge to PT only due to the years they came out….

Even Mandalorian, as loved as it is….does not have kids playing with figures….Baby Yoda got some sales….but so did Jar Jar for the little ones for a while. How pissed GL must be that the companion sales trick didn't work with PT and even less with ST.

For me, I have never displayed a single PT figure or vehicle…..ever.

But I do have and HT Rey, Kylo. and Phasma.

for me Iron, I bought cases (waves) of figures, Thinking they would be hard to get, go up in value, as did many people whom made money on POTF figures and original Kenner….

This nevwr happened as we had enteres the worls of mass produced junk….they were hot for about 1 year, after AOTC was a HUGE let down, all those toys dies off and you couldnt give them away. I sold off all the stuff I bought still sealed, never displayed.

I think the vast majority of sales were potential fanboys, and fanboys buying for kids whom they HOPED would be the next generation of SW fans…most of them didnt end uo playing with toys like the OT fans did, as the digial age was upon us.

Fast forward to ST, most of us learned our lessons with action figures……and sidnt bother buying them for our own kids (mine were perfect age for it) BUT kids at that age do not give a damn for action figures…..they wanted digital content and other stuff. My kids did play the hell out of SW Lego games…..

So , while I agree the ST garners about similar love as the PT, I attribute any merch sales to be similar, with a slight edge to PT only due to the years they came out….

Even Mandalorian, as loved as it is….does not have kids playing with figures….Baby Yoda got some sales….but so did Jar Jar for the little ones for a while. How pissed GL must be that the companion sales trick didn't work with PT and even less with ST.

For me, I have never displayed a single PT figure or vehicle…..ever.

But I do have and HT Rey, Kylo. and Phasma.
Yes.. I’ve said this before… So many of those PT sales for TPM and AOTC were people trying make a quick buck because of what they saw with the Power of the Force figures and original Kenner.

Very different time then. I can pretty much guarantee that people did not buy TFA figures like that because they learned their lesson with the PT toys. Add to that the kids now focus on electronics and not toys it’s no surprise that ST toys did not sell well.

SW is just not the only show in town anymore either. Much more out there for kids to consume.

I’m not trying to say that the ST had sales issues for only those reasons… But the PT had the advantage because of the time period.

TFA was almost universally loved when it came out… I wonder how toy sales were for that film .

TFA toys sold really well. I remember there being midnight store openings and a lot of of hype. After seeing the movie I bought a load of them and i remember that they weren’t that easy to even find online at the time as it was around Christmas (you were likely to pay the scalpers price for key characters).

Fortunately the force guided me to give up the smaller puny scale of 6 inch in favour of 1/6 scale so I sold the lot just before TLJ dropped. They all sold over retail (except Phasma, even then she was worthless) so they demand was still there even a year later. After TLJ the market bottomed out and I watched as those same figures plummeted in value, maybe it was over-saturation with the new figures hitting stores or maybe TLJ killed the hype.

Back