Star Wars: Episode IX - THE RISE OF SKYWALKER

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Totally agree and I don't even mind them rebooting the continuity every few decades, in fact I prefer it over pretending that characters are the same age for 50+ years. I think the early 2000's was a great time to start over with new modern takes on the classic heroes and villains, whether they be Ultimates, Brubaker or what have you. That gives everybody clean jumping off/jumping on points each time they reset, just like we've seen so many times in the movies.

I also agree on Nomad's unbecoming death. Just another cheap way to prop up his pet character IMO, but eh, it's all a reboot and brand new continuity from what came before so it doesn't taint any of the older stuff for me.
Nothing taints the old stuff in movies or comics for me. I still have the classics and ignore the crap. Indiana jones has Raiders for me and I can enjoy Crusade as a comic remake with his dad. Bond has many great films and some duds in there. Ultimates was a great update on characters because as you said they don't ever age. Most of us are way older than the character in the comics at this point.

Well he does state point blank that he'd been obsessed with wanting Bucky to come back to life since he was 9 years old since he was a Navy brat who spent his childhood on military bases just like Bucky. Nevermind that resurrecting such a character would screw up a decades old character defining aspect of one of Marvel's biggest icons.

https://www.vulture.com/2016/05/bucky-winter-soldier-history.html

So, in other words, he didn't say he wasn't a fan of Steve Rogers, you just made that up because you didn't like his writing.

In fact, it's probably likely he's just as big a fan of Captain America as you, seeing as how he wrote the dang book for eight years.

So, in other words, he didn't say he wasn't a fan of Steve Rogers
His statements and writing made it clear that he wasn't but as I've already said his run was a reboot separate from what came before so it doesn't really matter.

At least the best of his ideas were utilized in the MCU by writers and directors who did like the character.

Sideshow's latest email should go down well in this thread! :LOL:

Dvtqjpe.png

Mark Gruenwald's run on Captain America is still the gold standard.

I can't believe how violent those John Walker as Cap issues were and they got away with it in code-approved books! Man, the way he slaughtered all those Watchdogs....brutal!

The Steve Rogers as "The Captain" and John Walker as the slowly going insane Captain America was an amazing epic run that culminated in the return of Red Skull issue. So good.

And then Gruenwald just kept it going...introduction of Crossbones and the Steve/Diamondback romance, all with Ron Lim art. Those were the best.

I really, really loved Ron Garney's art too, but Waid wasn't as good a writer. First thing he did was undo Sharon Carter's death which had lasted such a long time, it was starting to look like one of those "REAL" comics deaths. You know, like Bucky. But no....Waid ruined that with his first issue. Why do people like Mark Waid so much, anyway? Kingdom Come?

Anyway, I was long out of comics by the time they brought Bucky back, but I rolled my eyes. Truly stupid move. Bucky should have stayed dead.

Really ruined one of my favorite Captain America stories from one of the Marvel Holiday Specials, too.

RCO047_1471517648.JPG

RCO048_1471517648.JPG

RCO049_1471517648.JPG

RCO050_1471517648.JPG

RCO051_1471517648.JPG

RCO052_1471517648.JPG

RCO053_1471517648.JPG

Agreed on pretty much all points there Otomofan! :duff

Yeah it's funny you mentioning the violence of those John Walker issues. One of the reason that remains embedded in my mind to this day was because I was also collecting the original Wolverine ongoing series at that time and people were writing in to the Wolverine letters page saying "Why is Logan running around as Patch and hardly ever using his claws while the current issues of Captain America are total bloodbaths?? Shouldn't it be the other way around???" :lol

I don't agree on Ron Lim though. I thought his art was quite subpar compared to what came before though he could definitely draw the ladies (the Black Queen on the cover of #369, damn...) but otherwise his art was the main factor leading to me stopping my monthly subscription. He's gotten a lot better though and I almost picked up this month's "United States of Captain America" issue solely *because* he was drawing it. But then I flipped to the page where the current idiot going by the name of Falcon said "I love you tons Cap but for all we know you were descended from slave owners." First of all "I love you tons?" FFS. Second of all um no--Cap's parents were poor Irish immigrants who lived in a ****ing New York ghetto and the 1960's through 1990's Falcon would have KNOWN that. :slap But like I've repeated, everything from Brubaker on is a brand new rebooted continuity.

Also getting back to Brubaker he claimed that he knew that the tragedy of Bucky's death was a major aspect of Cap's character which supposedly caused him to state that he knew that if he brought Bucky back to life then he'd have to replace his "death" with something equally tragic (yeah right) like him being a brainwashed assassin. Except that he didn't *stay* a brainwashed assassin (duh, who'd a thought) and now Cap, Falcon and Bucky are all palling around the country together "loving each other tons." Way to keep that tragedy intact. Such a freaking joke.

I agree that Waid and Garney's run is pretty overrated, which I think only occurred due to the uptick in quality it showcased after the tail end of Gruenwald's run. Solid art, solid writing, but with no truly memorable time-tested story arcs produced as a result. They are definitely fun reads and thankfully occurred before Waid went insane but yeah I would have been annoyed to have Cap's run end with Sharon after all he went through with Diamondback. That's why for me Robert Kirkman's Cap Disassembled arc is the true capstone (no pun intended) of Gruenwald's run since it brought things back full circle with the Serpent Society and Rachel for a satisfying close.

I love that after trying to prove herself to Cap (often unsuccessfully) from the Bloodstone Hunt on that finally she (or at least a version of her) had her moment to pound the living **** out of a powered up Red Skull right in front of Cap. And yes I know it wasn't "her" per se but it was still her brainwaves and love for Steve doing the fighting in a jacked up LMD so it still counts as far as I'm concerned, lol.

Last edited:
Khev and Otomofan I enjoyed reading your posts and now I need to re-read those Cap stories. Have any of them been collected yet in the Omnibuses? Anyway made a nice change from reading about the ST haha.

Khev and Otomofan I enjoyed reading your posts and now I need to re-read those Cap stories. Have any of them been collected yet in the Omnibuses? Anyway made a nice change from reading about the ST haha.
There are two or three omnis starting from Cap's Tales of Suspense/early individual series days, but if you want some affordable reading material showcasing some of his greatest hits I'd start with "The Captain" tpb: Captain America

There's also an Epic Collection featuring the same storyline but it contains one less issue than the above trade (333-350 as opposed to 332-350.)

Other highlights for me are the Epic Collections of "Society of Serpents" and "The Bloodstone Hunt." (Read the latter after "The Captain" though.)

"Dawn's Early Light" gives you the John Byrne issues and "Monsters and Men" feature a lot of Mike Zeck's awesome issues.

"The Coming of The Falcon" gives you early Falcon stories but the real highlight are the three Steranko issues.

Man the role of Anakin even ruined the careers of the people who *didn't* get the part, lol. Such a damn shame that George passed on a kid who clearly was capable of acting the way we all pictured that a kid Anakin might act.

[video]

But in a way him not being picked basically stopped his life from being ruined. He’d have been slaughtered by sad little neckbeards just like Jake Lloyd was.

But in a way him not being picked basically stopped his life from being ruined. He’d have been slaughtered by sad little neckbeards just like Jake Lloyd was.
And jar jar. Or even Hayden and Portman . Kinda funny how they treated these people so badly then yrs later they are iconic characters everyone loves after the ST. So I guess if something comes out worse than ST then kylo and friends will reach that PT stardom aswell.

I honestly feel so bad for the girl who played rose. She got the most amount of hate and she didn’t do anything wrong . Yes she was a bad character but everyone was. It was crazy how those idiots targeted her specifically.

The character she played is as bad or worse than Jar Jar and hands down one of the worst characters to ever be associated with Star Wars. (If you choose to acknowledge the Disney movies, that is.) But what kind of "hate" did the actress get? Did people say mean things about her on twitter?

Jake Lloyd was ridiculed to his face by strangers everywhere he went from the time he was 10 years old. Ahmed Best claimed he was gonna kill himself cause people were so brutal to him about Jar Jar. I think that's a little worse than "Rose Tico is a stupid character with dumb hair and she says some stupid thing about loving the things we hate."

Back