Star Wars: Episode IX - THE RISE OF SKYWALKER

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agree with the above statement. The bulling the prequel trilogy actors sustained went on for years and was not even vilified in the media. At least for the ST guys they can just switch of twitter for a few months and no one really cares about those movies anymore.

The character she played is as bad or worse than Jar Jar and hands down one of the worst characters to ever be associated with Star Wars. (If you choose to acknowledge the Disney movies, that is.) But what kind of "hate" did the actress get? Did people say mean things about her on twitter?

Jake Lloyd was ridiculed to his face by strangers everywhere he went from the time he was 10 years old. Ahmed Best claimed he was gonna kill himself cause people were so brutal to him about Jar Jar. I think that's a little worse than "Rose Tico is a stupid character with dumb hair and she says some stupid thing about loving the things we hate."
No it's just as bad. harassment is harassment. People are in tune with social media and telling someone to kill themselves over playing a character from a movie is not ok face to face or not. She had to pretty much delete everything. Bullying is bullying.

Agree with the above statement. The bulling the prequel trilogy actors sustained went on for years and was not even vilified in the media. At least for the ST guys they can just switch of twitter for a few months and no one really cares about those movies anymore.
Hmmm Idk. Not really. This was everywhere on social and you have very weird people out there that stalk people on everything and will send hate mail or hate msgs. It's all bad. Star wars fans are the worst tbh.

From my limited corner of the internet most of the hate I saw was being directed at Rian and Kathleen. People didn’t like some of the characters in the ST seemed to blame the creators not the actors. But I definitely accept there are a lot of weirdos and they would have received tons of abuse. I just feel that PT literally wrecked the lives of Hayden, Ahmed and Jake (even the boy who came runner up to playing Anakin said he was bullied relentlessly because of it and he was only shown in a documentary released at the time). Even Portman’s career tanked and she had to really work hard to be taken seriously again.

Yes the ST actors (id imagine mostly Rose and Rey) would have endured some crappy stuff. But people didn’t blame them and their acting for the films sucking unlike the prequel actors.

it was normalised and “cool” to hate on the PT characters and acting whereas the main stream media defended the ST and attacked the fans who didn’t like it (lots of name calling and labels). I don’t think Star Wars fans are toxic, they are protective over the IP because it means so much to them. They are passionate and if, as creators, they perceive that you respect Star Wars then they will generally embrace you. But if you take them for granted, try to use the IP as a vehicle for something that it never was or churn out unimaginative poor stories then they will suss you out.

Last edited:
I know but sending death threats is just not ok. None of them deserved the hate they got. It’s not the actors fault of the st the story was crap and it’s certainly not the pt actors fault for bad direction in acting . I’m glad people hold the pt movies in high regard especially rots. Just goes to show the hate wasn’t justified. Just angry fanboys upset they didn’t get what they wanted .

No it's just as bad. harassment is harassment. People are in tune with social media and telling someone to kill themselves over playing a character from a movie is not ok face to face or not. She had to pretty much delete everything. Bullying is bullying.

She self deleted her social media stuff. As I recall there was never any evidence that she received threats or anything like that. The "media" claimed this but neither they nor she ever could produce any receipts. People just made fun of the character online and so what? Rose IS a terrible character with a silly look. People have been mocking Star Wars and other movie characters for years. You think Hamill has never been teased? If you are going to be a movie star, particularly in a franchise like Star Wars you had better be prepared for a healthy dose of criticism and potential mockery. It's part of what you sign up for, you take the bad with the good.

I’m glad people hold the pt movies in high regard especially rots. Just goes to show the hate wasn’t justified. Just angry fanboys upset they didn’t get what they wanted .
This may one day apply to the ST aswell, you acknowledge that right? In fact the only way I see it not happening is if Disney indeed overwrites the ST and never again uses its characters and storyline.

This may one day apply to the ST aswell, you acknowledge that right? In fact the only way I see it not happening is if Disney indeed overwrites the ST and never again uses its characters and storyline.
It could a-dev but I think it unlikely that the ST will have the same staying power as the PT.

Nowadays there is just so much more competition scrambling for attention of children. So many other (better handled) franchises and I really feel that the MCU will be the PT of this generation. With streaming shows having entire series available I’ve noticed that my own padawan does not dwell on a single IP like I used to and has quickly moved onto the next.

I went to the toy shop today with my son and the Star Wars section (which was small) was just Reys and Jyn Eros’s. Not great when the main characters don’t connect with the audience and are the peg warmers. When I was kid you couldn’t ever find a prequel main character they would fly off the shelves. I remember Woolworths being littered with Ric Ollies. You might do a bit better with OT figures for the POTF2 series but only because there was such a high turnover and every character was a winner - still never found Vader!

The other main point which works against the ST is it lacked the world building. I loved all the background periphery of the PT. I consumed the books and the video games, any supporting media. All of which seemed to continue long after the movies finished and I don’t think this is happening with the ST.

The ST has no fan base though. It's about 75 Twilight watching Reylos screaming Reeeee on Twitter plus Khev and jye. The PT always had it's detractors but it wasn't nearly as universal.

All I'm saying guys is that I hated the PT and it didn't seem to me like there were many fans at the time. It even seemed to me back then that the toys were pegwarming on shelves. Echo chambers, it turns out, have always existed. Confirmation bias has always been a thing. Clearly there were indeed fans of the PT and enough of them too such that the fanbase is huge now and has become the dominant voice, a voice certain - as I once was - that there is an objective truth and they are the keepers of it.

Anyway, the ST sucks too.

Last edited:
All I'm saying guys is that I hated the PT and it didn't seem to me like there were many fans at the time. It even seemed to me back then that the toys were pegwarming on shelves. Echo chambers, it turns out, have always existed. Confirmation bias has always been a thing. Clearly there were indeed fans of the PT and enough of them too such that the fanbase is huge now and has become the dominant voice, a voice certain - as I once was - that there is an objective truth and they are the keepers of it.

a-dev you sound like old obi-wan talking about the clone wars.

That a-dev is nothing but a crazy old man.

ST wins by default just for having the OT actors.

Yup it’s that simple.

Han/Leia send off was epic.

Han/Leia send off > any emotion from the PT

Kylo/Rey TROS lightsaber fight was as equally good as the Maul fight EXCEPT the win STILL goes to TROS because of the Han/Leia send off.

TPM/AOTC/ROTS Anakin = lulz

Yes the ST also has cringe plus flat world building and aesthetics but the PT has green screen vomit so they are tied there as well.

Rage in your pillows I don’t care lol

And yes I am excited for Hayden to return under the competent hands of JF and DF.

ST wins by default just for having the OT actors.

Yup it’s that simple.

Han/Leia send off was epic.

Han/Leia send off > any emotion from the PT

Kylo/Rey TROS lightsaber fight was as equally good as the Maul fight EXCEPT the win STILL goes to TROS because of the Han/Leia send off.

TPM/AOTC/ROTS Anakin = lulz

Yes the ST also has cringe plus flat world building and aesthetics but the PT has green screen vomit so they are tied there as well.

Rage in your pillows I don’t care lol

And yes I am excited for Hayden to return under the competent hands of JF and DF.
You excuse poor writing just cause a soulless company touched you in your nostalgia. Wow

Nah. The PT was hated by adults but kids loved it. Kids don’t like the ST. They don’t talk about it. It doesn’t sell. There is no plans to further the mythos like with the pt. The pt had so much content to go along with it. All st has is a Lego special.

She self deleted her social media stuff. As I recall there was never any evidence that she received threats or anything like that. The "media" claimed this but neither they nor she ever could produce any receipts. People just made fun of the character online and so what? Rose IS a terrible character with a silly look. People have been mocking Star Wars and other movie characters for years. You think Hamill has never been teased? If you are going to be a movie star, particularly in a franchise like Star Wars you had better be prepared for a healthy dose of criticism and potential mockery. It's part of what you sign up for, you take the bad with the good.
Harassment is harassment. It’s not a contest. Nobody should have been hurt. It’s just a movie . None of the actors should get hate for a film .

You excuse poor writing just cause a soulless company touched you in your nostalgia. Wow
Movies work in mysterious ways my friend.

One thing is certain we all have connections to movies others hate.

My love and life connection to Han/Luke/Leia is what it is.

Last edited:
Harassment is harassment. It’s not a contest. Nobody should have been hurt. It’s just a movie . None of the actors should get hate for a film .

Criticism and mockery is not harassment. It's what happens when you put out an awful product and slap "Star Wars" on the label. If you are so fragile that you can't weather some criticism, better not be a public movie star.

Movies work in mysterious ways my friend.

One thing is certain we all have connections to movies others hate.

My love and life connection to Han/Luke/Leia is what it is.
Even if they destroyed them and pretty much didn’t put them on screen together

Back