SSC Superman 1/6th Scale figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's not entirely fair. SSC is far from the greatest for listening to fans, but they have made changes based on feedback.

You took my post the wrong way. If you were on the boards when Bespin Han first came on, the sculptors, a few reps were all very active, saw and heard the feedback and changed it. It spiraled out of control so fast that every figure was knitpicked to death, artists, sculptors were personally attacked, it was a mess. Essentially people started to lurk instead of participate. The CEO of Sideshow for God's sake used to actively drop into threads about their events and even gave away stuff. We had Sideshow Q who as in charge of the packaging and art side, numerous sculptors, it was pretty cool. They were essentially badgered for the hills. My point was that it got so bad that I wouldn't blame them if they didn't bother to read or pay attention to this stuff but we were assured not to long ago that many of those Sideshow VIPs still do lurk around and read stuff so who knows.

You took my post the wrong way. If you were on the boards when Bespin Han first came on, the sculptors, a few reps were all very active, saw and heard the feedback and changed it. It spiraled out of control so fast that every figure was knitpicked to death, artists, sculptors were personally attacked, it was a mess. Essentially people started to lurk instead of participate. The CEO of Sideshow for God's sake used to actively drop into threads about their events and even gave away stuff. We had Sideshow Q who as in charge of the packaging and art side, numerous sculptors, it was pretty cool. They were essentially badgered for the hills. My point was that it got so bad that I wouldn't blame them if they didn't bother to read or pay attention to this stuff but we were assured not to long ago that many of those Sideshow VIPs still do lurk around and read stuff so who knows.

Oh...I see. Interesting.
I'm relatively new to the boards (only been reading it for the last year and a half), but I'm always surprised at how much bashing is directed at SSC, for a site called "Sideshow Freaks" or "Sideshowcollectors.com". But I guess that answers the question, if originally there were SSC people contributing to the forum. From there point of view, I can see how they'd get tired of the constant negativity...

Oh...I see. Interesting.
I'm relatively new to the boards (only been reading it for the last year and a half), but I'm always surprised at how much bashing is directed at SSC, for a site called "Sideshow Freaks" or "Sideshowcollectors.com". But I guess that answers the question, if originally there were SSC people contributing to the forum. From there point of view, I can see how they'd get tired of the constant negativity...

It's not like all the "negativity" is on purpose. This figure has many flaws and changes from what they originally showed and still show on their site (see how the belt on Superman looks on their site compared to all the in hand reviews here). And to me the belt not that big of an issue as opposed to the sorry body.

Yeah, some people pick at the most ridiculous things and over exaggerate to the point that I stay away from threads of interesting looking figure and just follow the ones I'm interested in getting such as this one. But they messed up what could have been the best 1/6 Superman figure to date. All it needed was a bigger body. And this is not a nitpick, this figure has many visible flaws from what they promote to how it actually looks in hand.

I'm still around to see if all the positive people here are able to make it look good without modding anything. Some say it just needs some "futzing" and it will look better, which I highly doubt. If indeed that is all it needs, I will buy 2 of those. But again I doubt it.

I definitely agree on some of the flaws of this figure. My previous comment was more an overview. I pretty much only read threads regarding figures that I have on Pre-Order, or have already purchased, and time and time again, there are general comments about SSC that are negative about the company and their products as a whole. Any time there is a flaw in any figure, there are a rash of comments of "that's Sideshow", or "SSC always ****s up", or whatever.
I don't like everything they create, but that said, I don't bother reading or commenting on threads for those particular products.

I'm really hoping with just some minor futzing that I'll be as happy with this Supes as I was when seeing the initial and SSC displays/pics. We'll see in a week or so!

Just saw the review of this figure on Comicvine. I have never regret on buying a figure before, and this is the first time ever.. 100% regret. The body is different from what we saw on the promo pics, or on the toy shows. Shame on you sideshow.

I definitely agree on some of the flaws of this figure. My previous comment was more an overview. I pretty much only read threads regarding figures that I have on Pre-Order, or have already purchased, and time and time again, there are general comments about SSC that are negative about the company and their products as a whole. Any time there is a flaw in any figure, there are a rash of comments of "that's Sideshow", or "SSC always ****s up", or whatever.
I don't like everything they create, but that said, I don't bother reading or commenting on threads for those particular products.

I'm really hoping with just some minor futzing that I'll be as happy with this Supes as I was when seeing the initial and SSC displays/pics. We'll see in a week or so!

But that is the thing, all that criticism is valid. They have earned. Now that they are charging more, we expect better quality and if they don't deliver, they will get torn apart. I consider myself somewhat lenient as compared to others here, but as much as I wanted to add a comic Superman to my collection, this is too flawed.

But yeah, we'll see what miracle the people getting it can do to change my mind.

I never thought id be canceling an order for a SS Superman 1:6th. I Just cancelled mine. Such a shame. Really Stinks as Superman is my all time favorite. I used to have a DC Direct Superman that in all honesty BLEW this away. I wish I kept it.

SS is just out of hand with their decision making process. Who looked at this and said, "awesome, lets make a couple thousand!"

SS is quickly losing ground with me and many of my friends who collect. I don't think they know it, or care. But eventually stupid crap like this is gonna bite them on the ass. Who ever heard of a 170lb superman? no one, thats who.

It will be interesting to see how many keep this order. I 'm just wondering if he will be shipping soon and any new pic's n reviews soon ?

I think SS backed themselves into a corner with the pricing of this line. Now, that could largely be due to the licensor's asking price, but that should have sparked a flame under SS's ass to deliver. As much as I like Batman he's over-priced. He's got all kinds of issues for the price. I never liked SS's version of Superman; something was off about his face for me. Even with that issue I might have picked him up if he wasn't $200+. Based on what I've seen of Superman I'd be hard-pressed to even purchase it at a substantial discount much less MSRP.

Gotta love the picture they use in the newsletter for Comic Vine's review. Look here, nice and burly Superman. You would think this is also an inspiration to the product.

83a7add33e0a1582bdbd42ff043918b0.jpg

When you open up the box you first see this art. Then you take that out and see the figure....

Looks like I am eating two deposits in a short period of time (other being Pangea Achilles).

I think SS backed themselves into a corner with the pricing of this line. Now, that could largely be due to the licensor's asking price, but that should have sparked a flame under SS's ass to deliver. As much as I like Batman he's over-priced. He's got all kinds of issues for the price. I never liked SS's version of Superman; something was off about his face for me. Even with that issue I might have picked him up if he wasn't $200+. Based on what I've seen of Superman I'd be hard-pressed to even purchase it at a substantial discount much less MSRP.

Part of this is the usages of a new body. The creation, R&D, etc. all add into the cost. licensing is there sure but you have too look at the other 1:6 scale figures that Sideshow is offering and the price point is going up across the board. My wife even laughed and said to me "Do you remember when these were $60?" after seeing a few of the new ones prices.

I just got Batman and I love him. Expensive sure but he looks great once opened and displayed. Every muscular and looks as if he walked off the pages of a comic which makes this Superman so much more disappointing. I really wanted Superman to go with him but not this one.

Part of this is the usages of a new body. The creation, R&D, etc. all add into the cost. licensing is there sure but you have too look at the other 1:6 scale figures that Sideshow is offering and the price point is going up across the board. My wife even laughed and said to me "Do you remember when these were $60?" after seeing a few of the new ones prices.

I just got Batman and I love him. Expensive sure but he looks great once opened and displayed. Every muscular and looks as if he walked off the pages of a comic which makes this Superman so much more disappointing. I really wanted Superman to go with him but not this one.

I'm with you. I have Batman. Got him with some discounts which leveled the playing field and made me overlook the issues I have with him. Prices are always going to go up. It all adds up to what one is willing to pay for indulgences. I can't let things slide at $200+ as I would have at $60. I'm not going to yell or get upset as many do here. I speak with my wallet. It may not be a loud voice, perhaps just a murmur:), but SS knows how much I've spent with them. They know it's declined in the last few years. The prices don't put me off, although it's coming into question, it's the quality compared to other similar items. Don't tell me your costs are going up and present me with subpar products.

I never thought id be canceling an order for a SS Superman 1:6th. I Just cancelled mine. Such a shame. Really Stinks as Superman is my all time favorite. I used to have a DC Direct Superman that in all honesty BLEW this away.

Truth.
People may have bitched about it being 13" and out-of-scale with other 1:6 figures, but at least the body was appropriately proportioned to represent the World's Finest superhero.

I used that body on one of my spare Reeve suit. The Reeve suit is the reason I am not too impressed with Sideshow's version as it can be easily used for a comic version. Here's a poor pic with my MoS.
12a85aef-920b-4bbc-95fb-7eff63d09a8b_zps9b7ae45e.jpg

BTW - Here's the Kaustik posed as the Sideshow box art. So Definitely if I were buying this figure and making it look great, I would replace the body with Kaustik, hoping the head would fit in scale. Then I would change the cape attachment so it clips on the inside instead of hooking underneath and it should look great. And I might change the belt, too.
Picture_zpsd6231119.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the pic, jester! That's the KP02A body you used, right? The one in my pic is the brand new KP02XXL that was released last month.

Yours looks good!

I hate the idea of having to buy an already expensive figure and then "fix" it but that body does look proportioned correctly. I might have to follow this thread and see how those alterations come along.

Back