Sideshow 1/6 R5-D4

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very cool indeed. It's funny that nobody can even joke about them milking the droids when Hot Toys is over here churning out 15 different TFA and OT Stormtroopers in half the time.

Droids are cool. When I was a kid, I knew I had a bit of OCD. Would always turn my toy R5-D4 over to make sure they didn;t forget those red stripes on the back. TY, Kenner. Not so much Hasbro. Saw Sideshow got the stripes.

Got my R5-D4 today, and overall it's not too bad. I do feel the weathering could've been better. The weathering on the head of mine was very obviously paint brushed. It's really nothing like the awesome paint app in the prototype pics.

GGAAAHH!!! Just noticed that the sprue mark on my centre leg is facing the front, not the rear, so they've assembled my centre leg on backwards!!! A little tired of QC issues with Sideshow lately, so might go for an exchange on this one!

GGAAAHH!!! Just noticed that the sprue mark on my centre leg is facing the front, not the rear, so they've assembled my centre leg on backwards!!! A little tired of QC issues with Sideshow lately, so might go for an exchange on this one!

The Honk droid is cool but i really want a Gonk droid :hi5::lol
The Gonk Droid would be awesome. I should be getting my R5 tomorrow if UPS isn't delayed due to weather. Overall the weathering looks disappointing in that review. The figure doesn't look horrible but I wish it was more like the prototype shown.

Not really surprised that the Astromech droids are seemingly the next figure mold that Sideshow is going to milk. Sadly I may end up with the Imperial version of this figure and probably R2-Q5 as I tend to be a bit of a sucker for droids and they're somewhat easy to justify since they tend to be lower in price. I'm sure we'll get Protocol droid variants too (4-LOM is already coming and I'm sure more will follow).

Here's my review of the new Sideshow R5-D4. A decent complement to Sideshow's Artoo /Threepio and Hot Toys Luke. I did forgot to mention in the review that it will go well with the upcoming Jawas too (forgot I had those on preorder!) which formed part of the reason behind me ordering that recently (plus I got it for a cheap price using Popcultcha Pennies).

Disappointed in that my centre leg was assembled in reverse, but will get a replacement hopefully.

But still, not an essential purchase, and I probably shouldn't have gotten this myself lol!! Someone has already commented that I'm sounding jaded in the review, which is probably true. Hopefully the next three reviews that I tease at the end changes that LOL!!

Not really surprised that the Astromech droids are seemingly the next figure mold that Sideshow is going to milk. Sadly I may end up with the Imperial version of this figure and probably R2-Q5 as I tend to be a bit of a sucker for droids and they're somewhat easy to justify since they tend to be lower in price. I'm sure we'll get Protocol droid variants too (4-LOM is already coming and I'm sure more will follow).

I use the "he's 10% underscale" thing to avoid buying stuff like the imperial astromech variants - though it's not helping with R5. :lol

Even a little too small it's a gorgeously done figure (I actually prefer the slightly lighter weathering) that puts R2 to shame. I stupidly cancelled with a coupon code in the order and now there's no new codes.:gah:

Here's my review of the new Sideshow R5-D4. A decent complement to Sideshow's Artoo /Threepio and Hot Toys Luke. I did forgot to mention in the review that it will go well with the upcoming Jawas too (forgot I had those on preorder!) which formed part of the reason behind me ordering that recently (plus I got it for a cheap price using Popcultcha Pennies).

Disappointed in that my centre leg was assembled in reverse, but will get a replacement hopefully.

But still, not an essential purchase, and I probably shouldn't have gotten this myself lol!! Someone has already commented that I'm sounding jaded in the review, which is probably true. Hopefully the next three reviews that I tease at the end changes that LOL!!

You've just had some bad QC issues. I enjoy your reviews and even use a lot of stills from the vids for custom work ref.

You've just had some bad QC issues. I enjoy your reviews and even use a lot of stills from the vids for custom work ref.

Really? I wouldn't have thought my camera resolution and quality was good enough for that. Despite it being a 1080P camera, it often looks very soft unless it's a real closeup. But glad you're finding them useful in some way lol! :)

Got this figure in tonight and only had about 10 minutes to look it over. Couple notes that I haven't seen mentioned.

1) They made it heavier than R2. This is likely due to many of the comments that it felt cheap. It's only an ounce and a half heavier but when you take into account that there are no electronics inside the dome it's clear they probably added a couple ounces to the body.

2) The plastic on the head is a bit too translucent as when I first looked at it under light the body was solid looking and the dome looked paper thin. Not a big deal under almost all conditions but it jumped out at me as I first looked at it under light that really shined through the plastic in a way that doesn't happen on the body. (Nothing that stuffing the dome wouldn't solve if your lighting conditions highlight this).

3) The cut lines for the door panels, probably due to the doors being red, stood out as a bit uneven or sloppy looking. When i look at R2 I realize they're probably about the same but they don't stand out as much cause it's white on white. Also having a tough time getting them to sit flush. Again maybe I'm just noticing it more due to the contrast in colors.

4) The figure looks a bit bigger/more substantial than R2 due to the larger/taller dome style. That should please folks that feel R2 is undersized.

Again, just mentioning those items as I didn't see any mention before. It's a very cool little figure and it looks great on the shelf. I have one little spot of bad weathering where and I think a couple finger prints on one of the feet but don't think either will bother me.

DSC_0008_zpse0dghpg1.JPG
DSC_0005_zpskqmt28if.JPG
DSC_0004_zps05htl1xe.JPG
DSC_0003_zpsulvyg87o.JPG
DSC_0010_zpszrvdhvqf.JPG
DSC_0009_zpsykxivfii.JPG
DSC_0002_zps0lgkapag.JPG

Last edited:
Back