1/6 Hot Toys - The Book of Boba Fett: R5-D4, Pit Droid and BD-72 set

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, got my set in today from Sideshow. They used Fed Ex, which was odd since they have always used UPS. Great set. Surprised I got it so quick.
I'd whine about pics but still mildly *&^% about not being able to get - at least not easily - BD-72, so maybe I shouldn't look. Am sure HT knew folks would want 3 pit droids too.:pfft:

The Droids have landed! While this was priced a bit high, it is probably my favorite droid effort by Hot Toys. R-5 anchors the set and is simple and straightforward, but the Pit Droid and BD steal the show. The articulation on them is top-notch. And if you can find them for a decent price, I would say it’s a fun, quirky addition to the collection. It’s definitely a must have for fans of droids. Now I just need two more pit droids and Peli Motto.

IMG_3863.jpeg
IMG_3864.jpeg
IMG_3865.jpeg
IMG_3866.jpeg

Last edited:
The Droids have landed! While this was priced a bit high, it is probably my favorite droid effort by Hot Toys. R-5 anchors the set and is simple and straightforward, but the Pit Droid and BD steal the show. The articulation on them is top-notch. And if you can find them for a decent price, I would say it’s a fun, quirky addition to the collection. It’s definitely a must have for fans of droids. Now I just need two more put droids and Peli Motto.

View attachment 656194View attachment 656195View attachment 656196View attachment 656197
Arghh i have to get this, that Pit Droid looks awesome!

Just out of interest for anyone.

I was making a list of figures I was interested in January this year and at toysblunderland this was available for pre order for £205. And that was for the first batch. Second batch was priced £182.

Now it’s £341 Quite an escalation.

Just out of interest for anyone.

I was making a list of figures I was interested in January this year and at toysblunderland this was available for pre order for £205. And that was for the first batch. Second batch was priced £182.

Now it’s £341 Quite an escalation.
Huh. I sort of wish I'd used RPs or something at SSC - but on the other hand, it was *&^ of HT to not make a 3 piece set of Pit Droids, and just bundle BD and R5.:pfft:Am sure the HT is really nice, but I have 3 HASBRO pit droids and not convinced, on my own shelves, they are mostly accessories and the overall look would be that different.

Finally got the HT R5 (a few mail delays later...) and I'm slightly more impressed than I thought. That being said, I think it'd call it a draw in terms of which I prefer, SSC vs HT.

I appreciate the somewhat more accurate body sculpt (panels, lower body details etc) on the HT vs the SSC, and the fact it's slightly taller, the body a bit more stretched, and the more red-tone paint (SSC is more of a orange-red, maybe a nod to Kenner) but a few minor errors jump out on the HT, for example the tall red vertical panels on the sides of the body are slightly too narrow, as are the red "arms" (the SSC version got those more correct.) Not a biggie, but noticeable to me. I do also like the more crisp whitish color that's accurate to ANH - the SSC R5 is a bit more yellowish in the white areas.

The weathering on the SSC looks a bit more realistic than the HT. HT's "machine apps" do seem a bit too clearly stenciled in this case, unfortunately, the worst areas right in front.

Overall though a nicer fig than I expected based on pics, and overall a slightly more accurate rendering of ANH R5 than the SSC.

I will be fixing the BOBF-specific aspects, such as the weird "circles" neck treatment (I guess done because the film crew couldn't find iridescent stickers to match ANH R5,) to bring it in line with ANH. Not a huge amount of work, but an irritation for sure. Yet again we get a classic OT character BUT with Disney+ detailing... I'm looking at you HT Biker Scout/bike and Tusken.:slap

I will be keeping my SSC version as a realistic rendering of the Kenner R5 to put alongside my other "real-Kenner" figs.

R5.png

Finally got the HT R5 (a few mail delays later...) and I'm slightly more impressed than I thought. That being said, I think it'd call it a draw in terms of which I prefer, SSC vs HT.

I appreciate the somewhat more accurate body sculpt (panels, lower body details etc) on the HT vs the SSC, and the fact it's slightly taller, the body a bit more stretched, and the more red-tone paint (SSC is more of a orange-red, maybe a nod to Kenner) but a few minor errors jump out on the HT, for example the tall red vertical panels on the sides of the body are slightly too narrow, as are the red "arms" (the SSC version got those more correct.) Not a biggie, but noticeable to me. I do also like the more crisp whitish color that's accurate to ANH - the SSC R5 is a bit more yellowish in the white areas.

The weathering on the SSC looks a bit more realistic than the HT. HT's "machine apps" do seem a bit too clearly stenciled in this case, unfortunately, the worst areas right in front.

Overall though a nicer fig than I expected based on pics, and overall a slightly more accurate rendering of ANH R5 than the SSC.

I will be fixing the BOBF-specific aspects, such as the weird "circles" neck treatment (I guess done because the film crew couldn't find iridescent stickers to match ANH R5,) to bring it in line with ANH. Not a huge amount of work, but an irritation for sure. Yet again we get a classic OT character BUT with Disney+ detailing... I'm looking at you HT Biker Scout/bike and Tusken.:slap

I will be keeping my SSC version as a realistic rendering of the Kenner R5 to put alongside my other "real-Kenner" figs.

View attachment 674061

Thanks for the in-depth comparison! You have me tempted to grab an SSC too now. :)

Can you post a pic of your Kenner-group?

-James

Back