Save the Planet of the Apes!!! - PIX ADDED!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought that they had wanted Heston back but he didn't want to do a sequel. So, the only way they got him to agree, and be able to use his name in the credits, was to give him a smaller role and then he demanded being killed off.

Ahhh, I see, that makes sense. Thanks for the info.

Hey!! Just was futzing about and got to wondering......
Does the HT gorilla soldier key fit the wagon Angel made? Just curious, but how rockin' would that be? A little POTA fate if it does!

Wook, I just love your photos!! The very first photo the gorillas look like rock stars. What do you think about their hair? Isn't it a bit unruly? Aside from that, they are spectacular!!

Oh..and the other thing I noticed about Ursus is that you have to jam his helmet on real tight on his head because if you don't and you take photos, the helmet always ends up being crooked in the photos.

Jess, did you ever happen to complete this gorilla:
ape034.jpg

He's from my fave episode: The Trap.
Now that I'm actually painting, I'd love to try it on something as detailed as your sculpts. And, gorillas are easier topaint (and they're my favorite apes!!)

Wook, I just love your photos!! The very first photo the gorillas look like rock stars. What do you think about their hair? Isn't it a bit unruly? Aside from that, they are spectacular!!

I feel the same way. For such wonderful photos, wookster deserves gorillas with better hair !

Oh..and the other thing I noticed about Ursus is that you have to jam his helmet on real tight on his head because if you don't and you take photos, the helmet always ends up being crooked in the photos.

I feel the same way. For such wonderful photos, wookster deserves gorillas with better hair !

Cheers, I'm loving the hair, admittedly it needs some futzing, I might even try some gel, but they just look so cool on the shelf. I so hope they do Zira and Corny, I love my old SS ones, but I'd love to see them with real hair.

And yeah, Ursus helmet needs a good push to get it in the right position, but it looks great once it's there, it's just a shame you lose so much neck poseability with it on!

Jess, did you ever happen to complete this gorilla:
ape034.jpg

He's from my fave episode: The Trap.
Now that I'm actually painting, I'd love to try it on something as detailed as your sculpts. And, gorillas are easier topaint (and they're my favorite apes!!)

I think he's done. He's one of my favorites, too...but I don't think I ever made a cast of him. Perhaps I made a mold but by the time I was ready to cast him, I ran out of liquid plastic. I'll have to go through my box of molds and see where his status is...plus I just ordered some mold and casting supplies. :banana

Cheers, I'm loving the hair, admittedly it needs some futzing, I might even try some gel, but they just look so cool on the shelf. I so hope they do Zira and Corny, I love my old SS ones, but I'd love to see them with real hair.

And yeah, Ursus helmet needs a good push to get it in the right position, but it looks great once it's there, it's just a shame you lose so much neck poseability with it on!

I for one would totally love it if they make Zira and Cornelius. I am hoping they do...and I particularly want to see them make the outfits. Wouldn't it be cool if they did a Dr. Zaius with the Armageddon outfit? Just so I can see them both ride off to the Forbidden Zone?

Not sure if gel would work on that fake fur, Wook...I think just a comb-through with a small brush should do the trick. I am also thinking that the gorillas need some trimming on their hair. Kinda too long for me.

Wook, is there a place where you did a write-up on your Hot Toys apes?

Last edited:
I could say I'm lucky with the hair of my gorillas but I think it could be better because it's not exactly as in the movies.
Jessica, I hope we'll can see what you will do for the hair. With no experience in custom I don't feel like doing something on such expensive toys before you or another experienced customer are sure it's possible.

Ironman1188 (can I say Iron) : Didn't you post pictures of your star trek crossover on this thread ? It was great in my memories. Do you remember on which page it was ?

I could say I'm lucky with the hair of my gorillas but I think it could be better because it's not exactly as in the movies.
Jessica, I hope we'll can see what you will do for the hair. With no experience in custom I don't feel like doing something on such expensive toys before you or another experienced customer are sure it's possible.

Ironman1188 (can I say Iron) : Didn't you post pictures of your star trek crossover on this thread ? It was great in my memories. Do you remember on which page it was ?

Of course you can call me Iron, LOL.
Sticks did some pix of apes and Trek. I did a crossover story (post#9045)

Ahhh, I see, that makes sense. Thanks for the info.

Yeah, according to a really entertaining book I own ("Planet of the Apes Revisited") the original plan was to feature Taylor in the second film, and a couple of different treatments or ideas were suggested by a few different writers (Rod Serling, Pierre Boulle, Paul Dehn), but those ideas all went for naught when Heston flatly refused to be in the sequel. He eventually agreed to do a cameo, under the following two provisions:
1) Taylor must be killed off so discussions of this sort wouldn't happen again, and
2) his entire acting fee ($50,000) was to be donated to a prep school his son was attending (Harvard School, NOT the University).

W.G...I'm going to make a mold of the Hot Toys gorilla face and I'm going to sculpt around it--and re-do his hairline. I prefer sculpted hair (and I love to sculpt hair!!) although the troll-doll hair makes the gorillas more kissable.

Thinking about this again!! I would need to source the hair fabric...sculpt a smaller sized head...and fashion this to make it more movie accurate. then plop the gorilla face on top. Hmmm...that may work...

The Hot Toys are great but it's still not movie accurate for me.

Last edited:
Of course you can call me Iron, LOL.
Sticks did some pix of apes and Trek. I did a crossover story (post#9045)

Thanks, Ironman! I'm going to save that down to my computer so I can finally read it. I always meant to do that...but then it got buried in this massive thread...and I got distracted by a lot of projects...

Here is the link to that post: https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1102626&postcount=9045

I actually just e-mailed it to myself so I can read it at the slavemines tomorrow.

Dumb question, but I haven't been on the boards in a while - any way to see pics of all you guys' POTA collections without sifting through 15,000 posts? Is there an albums page or somesuch?

I know that Angel once posted where to find all the photos on this thread, but for the life of me I can't remember where that would be. Perhaps that post has been deleted because I am unable to find it.

Iron : Thanks ! So I'm not crazy. I started to think I made a mix in my head of different pics of this thread. I didn't read you're story. I'm going to print it to read it quietly in bed.

wookster : If you decided to use gel for hair of your gorillas, I'd be very interested to see what it finally looks like. Maybe we can make them more movie acurate this way too.

Jessica : You've got work for month ! See you next year !:D

Hi Jess! Just curious! How long am I looking at, before getting that Taylor Blanket? Thanks, Kent.:confused:

Back