• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Collector Freaks and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Touble with Scammers in the trade forum? Let us know. *Also tips for new buyers*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Delete if not allowed: A casual friend of mine got scammed. Basically, the buyer paid for a couple figures with PayPal and they agreed to meet in person. Buyer paid and picked the figures up in a public place. About 3 days later, the buyer did a chargeback through PayPal dispute. Of course, there is no tracking number to support delivery. (PayPal will only support a seller if theres a tracking number that shows delivered.)

My advice is if you sell locally only accept cash or "friends and family" in PayPal. I know it's tempting to accept Goods and services in PayPal because youre actually meeting the person who claims to "live right by you." Don't do it.
That is a sad story and a tough lesson to learn. I have added it to the main post. Thanks

Wow, I'm pretty shocked and dismayed to see how many scammers there are... can't the mods at least boot the known scammers ???

I also wonder if some of more persistent ones have multiple accounts/IDs and just change their names around :(

See a few posts back.

I always boot known scammers.

I also root out and boot sock puppet accounts as per the forum's single account per member rule. Members attempting to create extra accounts always raises suspicion as to their intentions for doing so, and certain measures are taken.

I've gone through all the names on the first page.

The ones at the end I'd already dealt with at the time as they occurred after I became a moderator. Some of the others were already banned.

Of the remaining twenty I searched for the various reports about them to confirm the accusations and have now banned them all.

If you suspect scam activity report the member in question using the Report button, and it will be investigated.

When scammers see Asta coming...

im-in-trouble.gif

Delete if not allowed: A casual friend of mine got scammed. Basically, the buyer paid for a couple figures with PayPal and they agreed to meet in person. Buyer paid and picked the figures up in a public place. About 3 days later, the buyer did a chargeback through PayPal dispute. Of course, there is no tracking number to support delivery. (PayPal will only support a seller if theres a tracking number that shows delivered.)

My advice is if you sell locally only accept cash or "friends and family" in PayPal. I know it's tempting to accept Goods and services in PayPal because youre actually meeting the person who claims to "live right by you." Don't do it.
Buyer scam. That is so horrible. I never thought of this scenario. Thanks for sharing.

I've gone through all the names on the first page.

The ones at the end I'd already dealt with at the time as they occurred after I became a moderator. Some of the others were already banned.

Of the remaining twenty I searched for the various reports about them to confirm the accusations and have now banned them all.

If you suspect scam activity report the member in question using the Report button, and it will be investigated.
Legend

Back