Save the Planet of the Apes!!! - PIX ADDED!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope they do more than a figure or two. I will surely be getting Dr. Z.

Great News, Thanks Mezco!

Cautiously optimistic here. But still no Taylor! After Neca let us down on that score, I'm wary to trust another company. I'm still trying to figure out a way of moulding and reducing the mego style Chuck and putting him on a seven inch body. But I think that's a little to complicated for me.... I don't suppose anyone else has done it and has one for sale by any chance?

Cautiously optimistic here. But still no Taylor! After Neca let us down on that score, I'm wary to trust another company. I'm still trying to figure out a way of moulding and reducing the mego style Chuck and putting him on a seven inch body. But I think that's a little to complicated for me.... I don't suppose anyone else has done it and has one for sale by any chance?

I'd assume the difference is getting Heston's likeness versus every other Ape. Maybe Mezco will go the extra mile, but who knows.

Does anyone really have confidence in Mezco releasing more than Zaius ?

Classic Star Trek - abandoned after several Kirks and Spocks and Sulu. No McCoy to complete the trinity.

Universal Monsters - Frankenstein’s monster, and that’s it.

I’d be shocked if Zaius sells any better than those, so forget about ever getting more apes, or Taylor.

No confidence here... I'm always excited to get... anything.

And Mezco's scatter shod release pattern shows a company with fickle interest levels.

A Cornelius or General Ursus would be optimal.

Don't get me wrong anything PotA, Star Trek, Universal Monsters that Mezco put out I'll get but their track record isn't the greatest when it comes to these particular franchises. Their biggest mistake was doing different versions of Spock where they should have stuck with the dynamic trio (Kirk, Spock and McCoy) and then see how they sold and then added the other four main characters.

The problem they are going to have with Pota is that started off with the wrong figure, don't get me wrong I like Zaius but for a first release figure they should have done two figures and they should have been Taylor and a Gorilla Soldier and then see how they sold.

I agree that Mezco really screwed up their Star Trek line. Releasing Sulu before McCoy was just weird. And those Spock exclusives (Mirror, Mirror and The Cage) teased an extensive line that never was going to be.

However, I think that if Mezco were to test the waters of the Planet of the Apes with a single figure (and if it ultimately became their ONLY entry) I think that it would be a mistake starting with Taylor. This didn't help the sales of NECA's Mego-like Taylor... he was quite the peg warmer both before and after the accompanying Gorilla Soldier was released. In my mind, their first release should be an ape.

"The proper study of Apes... is Apes" - Dr. Honorius

But what Ape do you start with. Dr. Zaius is arguably the most recognizable character in the series... that is why most companies that venture to produce POTA product take a shot at him. I should know... I buy everyone of them including the recent cartoony Mini Epic by WETA and the super ugly Super 7 figure (great backing card though). So I'm not surprised they started with him. In fact another company called The Loyal Subjects are planning on releasing a 3.5" vinyl figure of Dr. Zaius (along with Caesar from the recent CGI trilogy) as part of their Fox Throwback wave of figures to be released later this year. Hopefully.

But I can understand that if you are a Planet of the Apes fan (and Zaius is not exactly your favorite character), I can see that choice being a tired and dull one.

Perhaps a Gorilla Soldier would have been a better choice... since it's a tradition for toy lines to include army builders like Hot Toys did. Though at that price, I'm not sure many had the resources to fund an army of those figures.

I'm just hoping we get one of each (Orangutan, Chimpanzee and Gorilla) as a base to start with. Then Taylor. I think NECA started their line fairly well... It's just that they should have included a Taylor in their second wave instead of an additional Dr. Zaius.

As much as I'd love a decent Taylor in a smaller scale, that is an incredibly well reasoned argument why it shouldn't be straight away. Thank you... I wish there was a 'like' button.....

Please... SOMEBODY make Julius. If I'm not mistaken, he is only available as a Kubrick. That is just sad. We got SO close with NECA.

I thought with the re-launch of MEGO, that they might get around to do a version of him. They sure re-visited their Star Trek line in a BIG way! However, seeing most of their product in the clearance aisles, I'm not sure if this new version of the company is still solvent.

I'm sure to a lot of folk, this is tantamount to heresy, but I think the modern Megos look hideously cheap and nasty. I always wanted the Trek ones as a kid, but never got them, if they'd done accurate recreations I'd have snapped them all up out of nostalgia and filling a 40 year old gap in my collection, but not these current ones... all the uniforms are badly fitting and cheap looking.

Back to Apes though, the sculpt on that 'Megoesque' Taylor was amazing. I just wish someone sold a reduced casting to match the rest of the 7" line....

Yeah, even by '70's standards those retro Megos looked kind of thrown together. I can't believe they couldn't even match the color of Kirk's eyebrows with his hair color. He looked like a drag queen without a wig.

Perhaps it was better that they didn't revisit the Planet of the Apes.

I agree that Taylor sculpt was great... just wish he didn't look like he was still wearing his hypersleep pajamas. And the less said about that accompanying Soldier Ape the better. Can't believe NECA again skimped on the bandolier.

Found this picture on the web...

zaius3.jpg

The Ape glyphs on this costume differs greatly from the prototype shown at Toy Fair.

And it looks like we are getting a SECOND HEAD... and a whole mess of alternate hands!

Just pre-ordered from BBTS! If you are into classics Apes you MUST order this figure! This may be the last time we will ever see a classic POTA figure! Mezco needs to know that collectors will support this line!

Back