Save the Planet of the Apes!!! - PIX ADDED!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, JJ! Great to see your post! Seems there are a few new Ape offerings to raise this thread back from its dormant state!

And yeah, been LOVING the Dana Gould take on Dr. Zaius. I first saw him in Ape makeup when he was part of a special showing of Planet of the Apes for a Fathom Event at my local theatre a few years back. Just saw the new Tim Meadows episode. I would love to see him tour as Zaius sometime after the pandemic.

DSCN5459 (2).jpg
DSCN5461.jpg
DSCN5464.jpg

Decided to add my photos of the recent Mezco Dr. Zaius and how I have them posed in my collection at the moment. LOVE THAT APE! Not too sure about the two new offerings... strange that they jumped to Conquest so soon. But I will buy them nevertheless. Probably not two each like I did with Zaius. Hopefully we will get a better head for Caesar or a re-do on the one shown.

And we are getting more MEGO Apes... finally with Cornelius and Dr. Zaius being the first two offerings. Found these two pictures at the MEGO Museum site:

cornelius.jpg
zaius.jpg

Although these are fun to see, I wished they took the opportunity to color correct Zaius's outfit and relieve Cornelius of those blasted Indian moccasins! Oh well. Still, I'm curious to see what NEW figures MEGO has planned... as well as the 14" Apes that are promised. Seeing what they have offered before in that large scale in the past, I'm not expecting to see anything Earth shattering... but there are going to be some BIG Apes!

Anyone know if there's any social media or a way to contact Mr.Z? Would be awesome if they make a 1/6 chimpanzee that looks like Caesar

1b280a4c62941a03b01d13ad3eac65bf.jpg

I’ve tried for years, but I’ve never been able to final a way to contact Mr. Z. They don’t even have their own website, or SM — weird in this day and age.

Nice to see more Apes stuff, but I’m a little bummed Mezco decided to jump into Conquest and not continue with the original movie instead, especially since they work at a snail’s pace.

I?ve tried for years, but I?ve never been able to final a way to contact Mr. Z. They don?t even have their own website, or SM ? weird in this day and age.

Nice to see more Apes stuff, but I?m a little bummed Mezco decided to jump into Conquest and not continue with the original movie instead, especially since they work at a snail?s pace.

Oh man, this is disappointing..
Not even an email? Maybe if we talk to some stores they could help us? I don?t know
1/6 Caesar is a must have for me and I don?t trust 100% in Star Ace

Last edited:
Hi everybody, not sure who checks the forum on a regular basis. I was focusing on collecting Mego and Mego size apes the last few years. Does anybody still sell Virdon and Burke 1:6 sculpts? I think Aida did? What about a James Franciscus 1:6 sculpt since the Sideshow Brent did not secure his likeness?

Anybody buy the Mego Topps Taylor exclusive? It is not supposed to be a Heston likeness but looks close enough in that scale unless the sculpt used in the promo was the 1:9 Mego size head that has been available for several years and the production run sculpt looks nothing like it.

Strange coincidence that I was just asking about Brent. This Topps Excusive Mego may not be a licensed Franciscus but much closer than the Sideshow version. I hope Mego does some 14" POTA, even if for uniforms, sculpts to put on Sideshow or other 1:6 bodies.
brent_1_.png

Hello ActionTrooper,

I can't help you with the 1:6 scale head sculpts.

The Mego offerings at Topps are really nice. I got the Prisoner Taylor, Zira, Mutant, and Brent. I can't wait to see their future offerings. I recently put in a pre-order for the wave 14 Gorilla Soldier, which looks very cool. Dr. Mego doesn't like the bandolier and said that the factory in China sculpted their own instead of using his sculpt, but I think he still looks awesome and should sell well. Dr. Mego said all future soldiers will have the correct bandolier.

For some reason, I just can't find my way clear to follow this new MEGO Ape line. I only purchased Dr. Zaius because my Target had him at clearance for $7.49.

And is it me or does the new Gorilla Soldier look like a recast of the old Addar General Aldo?

I was hoping that Mezco would continue with their Ape line, but there hasn't been any word on Casaer or the Conquest Gorilla since February. Not a good sign.

Yeah, I was really hoping Mezco was going to go further, since their Zaius was pretty cool — but jeez, that came out a really long time ago.

For some reason, I just can't find my way clear to follow this new MEGO Ape line. I only purchased Dr. Zaius because my Target had him at clearance for $7.49.

And is it me or does the new Gorilla Soldier look like a recast of the old Addar General Aldo?

I was hoping that Mezco would continue with their Ape line, but there hasn't been any word on Casaer or the Conquest Gorilla since February. Not a good sign.
PZ, that's a great score. I like the new Mego POTA offerings. I'm not sure if the Taylor from Topps will be on the new body, which supposedly has over 20+ points of articulation. Mego Corp. has stated that Nova will be on the new female body, so she will be interesting to see. Regarding the Addar General Aldo sculpt, you are correct. The current soldier offering is a repaint, but a new sculpt is coming. I believe Mego plans to offer a gorilla Lt. and Captain.

Something that may interest you is that they talked of doing the Orangutans from the Tribunal scene. So maybe we will see something in the coming months on the Topps website?

You know when you say "orangutans" my ears perk up, Sticks!

I've been keeping an eye on those MEGOs... it's strange not actively purchasing new Ape. product. But my first impressions haven't been very positive. Given the price point, it's an amazing deal, yet I can't help but see they have had to cut some MAJOR corners in order to make that point. Every Zaius I've seen looks like his costume practically unravelling inside the package. And I was rather disappointed that there was no effort to correct the mistake of Zaius's costume. How hard would it have been to make his outfit orange? Or make Ape feet instead of using those damn brown moccasins again. I understand that nostalgia drove those decisions, but Marty Abrams already re-released those old Apes in retro style packaging a few years back... why do it again?

As for the new offerings, I just can't seem to get in the spirit of those releases. My 10 year old self would have lost his mind thinking about adding those to his collection... but I think I've come too far down the road to purchase anything just because it's Apes. I only bought the Super 7 Lawgiver and passed on the rest of the line because the sculpts looked so uninspired. The cards were FANTASTIC... but the figures... meh. Eventually I did receive a carded Dr. Zaius for a Christmas present, so my vast Zaius collection continues.

I also take issue with the fact that they are only offering those Topps exclusive for only one week. That is WAY too small of a product window. This only serves those toy scalpers going forward... asking $200-$300 for a very cheaply made figure.

I was REALLY hoping that MEZCO Ape line were going to continue. The craftsmanship brought to their first Zaius figure left me speechless... so much so that I bought two, to properly display both heads. Though the first pictures of Caesar weren't great, I was hoping that it would be improved upon before production. And since MEZCO has a history of making multiple heads, I thought I would find at least one to be passable.

Last edited:
It looks like the Mego / Topps deal is currently on hold, or over altogether. I believe someone from Mego confirmed that all the figures so far will be made. That was kind of sudden. Topps talked a big game, two new releases every week. They never even got to the Universal or 14" figures.

Hey PZ,
I wrote to Mezco inquiring about their Classic Planet of the Apes line, and here is their response;
"Hello there, No information to share at the current time. Please make sure you're following us on social media or subscribe to our newsletter, that's where new products are announced first."

Translation..."We can't confirm nor deny the continuation of our Ape line" - MEZCO

Back