ROCKY IV: Director's Cut (2021) In Select Theaters

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I could not watch the whole thing yet.. Seems like the synth music will still be there.

Is there any mention of re-scoring the film.. Lost opportunity if he didn't.
My understanding is that he had access to all footage and materials from the original production and was free to re-cut the film as he saw fit, but no resources beyond that, so I don't imagine we'll see new music, just maybe extensions or shorter versions of the original music.

Well Vince Dicola confirmed on Twitter his music is still in the film.

I watched all that making of Doc and Stallone talks several times about the film being a bit too 80’s and then leaves in that terrible synth score. Ugh

My understanding is that he had access to all footage and materials from the original production and was free to re-cut the film as he saw fit, but no resources beyond that, so I don't imagine we'll see new music, just maybe extensions or shorter versions of the original music.
Well he’s got the other films to pull the score from. The other films did that several times to each other.

oh well

still got my tickets

We will see for sure. For better or worse, the good thing is that you know it's going to feel like a totally new version of the film. It's always disappointing when a movie market's a director's cut and then it ends up like 5 minutes of extra footage but the overall film is identical. When Stallone does a director's cut, the additional material really adds something to perception of the characters and stories.

Ok just got back.

Still not perfect but an improvement over the original for sure.

My biggest issue as far as the changes go.. Up until the "Living in America" scene everything felt like more of a ruff cut. The stuff was not bad... It just felt unfinished in some way... There was no real transition or set up.. It just felt a little clunky.

Would I have felt that way if this was the only version I knew... IDK maybe. But all the extra scenes in the beginning were still solid and better overall then the original stuff. Everything extra after the the Living in America scene was gold.

My biggest issue overall is they kept in "There's No easy way Out" The whole freaking song. Its done a bit better then the original but the whole freaking song still. The Synth Score is still there but I thought it played better in the fight scene then ever before. I don't know if its an alternate version or if the crowed in the film was drowning it out but it was not as bad. I still hate the synth score in the training montage. Some Bill Conti music is brought back for the quieter scenes.

The best part.. Both fights are so much better then the original. They felt more in line with the series. Stallone used different takes and alternate angles to help improve both fights immensely. Apollo gets to fight back a bit after taking the initial beating rather then being pummeled the entire time. And Rocky comes across as a better fighter in the first two rounds of the fight rather then just taking shot after shot. Its hard to explain fully what is different and what is the same I can just say it played much better.

Color timing is a huge improvement also.. looks and feels more like Rocky III

Get rid of "No easy Way Out" scene all together and replace the synth training montage with some Bill Conti score.. Something like "The Final Bell" would have played much better.

It officially moved up two notches in my Rocky rankings. I can now say that I enjoy all the Rocky films. Yep I even find Rocky V to be entertaining.. Mostly because the ghost of Mickey brings back Rocky from the dead at the end. "Get Up you Son of a *****, Cause Mickey loves ya" is one of my fav moments in the series :)

Ok just got back.

My biggest issue as far as the changes go.. Up until the "Living in America" scene everything felt like more of a ruff cut. The stuff was not bad... It just felt unfinished in some way... There was no real transition or set up.. It just felt a little clunky.

Would I have felt that way if this was the only version I knew... IDK maybe. But all the extra scenes in the beginning were still solid and better overall then the original stuff. Everything extra after the the Living in America scene was gold.

My biggest issue overall is they kept in "There's No easy way Out" The whole freaking song. Its done a bit better then the original but the whole freaking song still. The Synth Score is still there but I thought it played better in the fight scene then ever before. I don't know if its an alternate version or if the crowed in the film was drowning it out but it was not as bad. I still hate the synth score in the training montage. Some Bill Conti music is brought back for the quieter scenes.

The best part.. Both fights are so much better then the original. They felt more in line with the series. Stallone used different takes and alternate angles to help improve both fights immensely. Apollo gets to fight back a bit after taking the initial beating rather then being pummeled the entire time. And Rocky comes across as a better fighter in the first two rounds of the fight rather then just taking shot after shot. Its hard to explain fully what is different and what is the same I can just say it played much better.

Get rid of "No easy Way Out" scene all together and replace the synth training montage with some Bill Conti score.. Something like "The Final Bell" would have played much better.

It officially moved up two notches in my Rocky rankings. I can now say that I enjoy all the Rocky films. Yep I even find Rocky V to be entertaining.. Mostly because the ghost of Mickey brings back Rocky from the dead at the end. "Get Up you Son of a *****, Cause Mickey loves ya" is one of my fav moments in the series :)
Is that the one with Tommy Gun?

If so no thanks lol

The Tommy Gun one is the only truly crappy Rocky movie with IV coming right behind it BUT now it seems that IV has improved:yess:

Last edited:
Ok just got back.

Sounds like I will thoroughly enjoy this, because, despite not being traditional Rocky music, No Easy Way out scene and song are one of my favorites in the series, so hearing that that part is retained and everything around it is enhanced is really exciting to me.

As for Rocky V, the Mickey parts are what save it from being a total throw away, they retain the heart of the series just enough.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this. Rocky 1 is perfect and I've always really enjoyed 2 and 3 as well but 4 was a huge let down when I first saw it. I enjoyed the behind the scenes video that a-dev posted and the review above makes me even more excited.

Is that the one with Tommy Gun?

If so no thanks lol

The Tommy Gun one is the only truly crappy Rocky movie with IV coming right behind it BUT now it seems that IV has improved:yess:
I can’t defend V

but until this IV directors cut it was not my least fav.

Now it is but I still enjoy it due to the scene I mentioned before.
Tommy Gunn is awful

Sounds like I will thoroughly enjoy this, because, despite not being traditional Rocky music, No Easy Way out scene and song are one of my favorites in the series, so hearing that that part is retained and everything around it is enhanced is really exciting to me.

As for Rocky V, the Mickey parts are what save it from being a total throw away, they retain the heart of the series just enough.
I don’t hate the song… it’s just the scene is out of place in the film.

A straight up MTV music video in the middle of the film

I never took it that way, I just always saw it as a montage of Rocky's thoughts dealing with the situation and I felt like the song's lyrics and tone were fitting for it.

I never took it that way, I just always saw it as a montage of Rocky's thoughts dealing with the situation and I felt like the song's lyrics and tone were fitting for it.
I liked it when I was a kid… but it’s just a waste of time for me. I would rather see some more character interaction.

it just seems corny to me.

but hey if you like it that’s cool. Many people do.

Rocky V was the first movie I ever went to see all alone cause nobody wanted to come with me. It...wasn't great.

I only watched it one more time, when I watched all the Rocky movies in a row.

I can honestly say I'll never watch it again. The only good scene is the Mickey flashback and that's on youtube. Next time I do a Rocky marathon, it'll be I-IV, youtube clip, VI, Creed, Creed 2.

Ok just got back.

Does the final fight still use the theme "War"? It's one of my favorites.

I did, and I have mixed feelings on it, some changes I really like, some I disliked, and some I just felt unnecessary.
I would agree with all that… but I felt like it made it a better movie. The fight changes alone improved the film.

I hated the original. Now I like it.

I thank those that love the original Will be left feeling cold.

Back