Reward points redeem and declared value for international buyers?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VS1976

Super Freak
Reaction score
I've always wonder why SSC declares the full value when Rewards Points are redeemed.

I recently purchase the HT Batman for $125 with $100 worth of points used. I was hit with custom / taxes of $38 because it was declared at $225.

Shouldn't declare purchase price be what u pay for an item and not the value it is sold? IMO, there should not be any other tax other then what u pay for an item.

It's like me okay across the border and buying something for sale. I pay duty or taxes on the final amount not the value before discounts are made.

I think SSC should declare the value of what are actual spend purchases.

Because for insurance reasons SS would still invested in the figure for the full amount.

One of the reason why is sucks to ship stuff overseas. People want you to lower the value or gift it then whine when something does happen to the package.

Canada? I don't have a problem shipping there myself.

Because for insurance reasons SS would still invested in the figure for the full amount.

One of the reason why is sucks to ship stuff overseas. People want you to lower the value or gift it then whine when something does happen to the package.

Canada? I don't have a problem shipping there myself.

If its insurance purposes then why does SSC declare replacement statues at $20?

I don't think I am whining at the taxes I pay. I would prefer if the "actual" money paid is declared of that and not the full value it is sold before discount.

uhm, I'm saving up my points to be able to afford a statue completely (almost there)
so if I bought it completely with points, I'd still need to pay those ridiculous high fedex/customs fees?

uhm, I'm saving up my points to be able to afford a statue completely (almost there)
so if I bought it completely with points, I'd still need to pay those ridiculous high fedex/customs fees?

Yes....why I don't know? I don't know how USA systen works but in Canada, there is no tax on free products.

Last edited:
I think its like using a coupon, you got it for a lower price but the item is still worth the original value. The delcared value stays the same.

If you bought an item in full with rewards points and SS declared it at $0. If it arrives broken, I assume postal insurance wouldn't cover the damage. It makes sense to delcare the item the right value for many reasons.

I think the underlying logic is that you pay a tax on the value of the item, not the price you paid for it. Its just that customs tend to use the price as a baseline, but they are not required to.

In my country that logic is clearest when it comes to cars. Regardless of how much I were to actually pay for a car, customs would look up the model and year in a catalog they have in their office for value assessment and apply taxes on that amount.

Recently I got a Hot Toys Mark V which I used reward points on. The invoice showed the discount amount and then shipping costs. I just double checked it. Total invoice was only $174.99.

No taxes here until it reaches $1000au our retailers are trying to get it lowered

$1000... lucky buggers, you :) Why do Australian retailers jack up the prices so much when they cannot compete at all with anything that is below the $1000 mark then?

$1000... lucky buggers, you :) Why do Australian retailers jack up the prices so much when they cannot compete at all with anything that is below the $1000 mark then?

usually our dollar is so bad it makes it tough to buy overseas then add postage to the farest part of the planet, at the moment our dollar is glowing so our poor millionaire retail owners are complaining we are looking online. We are slowly waking up to the point that we have been ripped off for many years :dunno

Recently I got a Hot Toys Mark V which I used reward points on. The invoice showed the discount amount and then shipping costs. I just double checked it. Total invoice was only $174.99.

Well that doesn't make any sense? Why would SSC adjust your invoice and not others?

I recently purchase the HT Batman for $125 with $100 worth of points used. I was hit with custom / taxes of $38 because it was declared at $225.

It's a pain and maybe not worth it, but you could question the shipping company (FedEx I assume) and/or customs and ask for a part refund. I know down here, all the info abut custom duties, etc talks about the price in AUD.

When I got my Serenity, it was declared at it's full retail price ($2500), but I paid the discount $2000 price. I had my original invoice, bank statements, etc which showed that the value to me, was $2000 as that is what I paid and how can I be taxed on $500 that I never spent. It would be no different then having Income Tax on money I never earned.

It took a little bit of work, but I got my customs tax back. Still, like I said, for the difference of $100, it may not be worth it.

It's a pain and maybe not worth it, but you could question the shipping company (FedEx I assume) and/or customs and ask for a part refund. I know down here, all the info abut custom duties, etc talks about the price in AUD.

When I got my Serenity, it was declared at it's full retail price ($2500), but I paid the discount $2000 price. I had my original invoice, bank statements, etc which showed that the value to me, was $2000 as that is what I paid and how can I be taxed on $500 that I never spent. It would be no different then having Income Tax on money I never earned.

It took a little bit of work, but I got my customs tax back. Still, like I said, for the difference of $100, it may not be worth it.

The problem is not FedEx but SSC when they declare the content. This is the 4th time SSC has done this when I used my reward points. The only way I can possibly get my reimbursement is going through my credit card statements. Though this would be a hassle just to save $15. The only way it's worth it for me is when I use 100% reward points and only pay the shipping. IMO, I don't see why SSC can just invoice correctly with the points added to it.

The problem is not FedEx but SSC when they declare the content.

Yes, I understand that, my point was it's the shipping company (FedEx in this case), that processed the customs charge and billed you for it. As such, it's through them that any 'refund' must be gotten from if you want it.

The bigger problem is that the system doesn't allow for two values. SS needs to declare it at full price for insurance reasons, otherwise if something goes wrong, they are out of pocket. At the same time, there needs to be a 'cost' value for the purpose of tax. Most of the time those would be the same, in cases like this, they are different.

Since only one value can be used, this will always be the full price, insurance wins out, no matter what. Sure, it sucks for the customer, namely you, but since when didn't Tax suck.

$1000? Oh my gosh O_O

Here in Spain, paying taxes is set at a ridiculously low price, at 25€ you already pay taxes in any item :(

Devide that by 2 and you got the danish limit :monkey4

Anything over $15 and i'll have to pay 25% tax and a $30 fee :cuckoo:

Back