Recommendations for Batman Graphic Novels

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
does he wear make up?

read the book and judge for yourself.

he exits arkham with white face and all, so doubtful it's make up
croc is a big brotha with a skin condition
harley is a stripper/joker's hole
penguin is a midget with a pointy nose, almost a 1930's german caricature of a jew
two face is two face
riddler looks like johnny depp's wonka with a club foot
bats wears realistic leathery armor and cowl
the narrator looks like a white trash john constantine

i'm not mad, just 'explaining my rationale. look up club foot. i wouldn't want to offend anyone with my no pc terms for gimp, ole limpy leg, lil tiny tim legs, mr rubber ankles, mr i can't walk down stairs, and so on

I don;t really like that joker book. I researched it. Joker is fat and looks stupid as well as the Riddler. They made my favorite villain The Riddler and my second favorite villain the Joker look like idiots. Joker cries, he and Harley do drugs, croc is just a black guy.......you can tell that I don't like this. Is that Frost guy the Joker? And what is a gimpy leg

i just bought the long halloween from the book shop, so I can settle down tonight and have a good read.
Cool, you should enjoy it - it's definitely in my top 3 Batman GNs. Kinda wish I was settling down to read it for the first time too and enjoy it all over again!

I don;t really like that joker book. I researched it. Joker is fat and looks stupid as well as the Riddler. They made my favorite villain The Riddler and my second favorite villain the Joker look like idiots. Joker cries, he and Harley do drugs, croc is just a black guy.......you can tell that I don't like this. Is that Frost guy the Joker? And what is a gimpy leg

have you read it? it's essentially a realistic portrayal of these maniacs. joker's FAR from fat, the riddler's only in 4 or 5 panels tops, and had even less lines. even less than the penguin. it's a cameo at best. you can't really make a character judgement on a cameo especially without reading it. croc is a black guy, but has a scaly skin disease thing going on. as for the drugs usage, hang around some of the lesser desirable members of society, it's a requirement. the joker is INSANE in this. i don't mean insane like a dime store dr doom he's pretty much a text book paranoid schizophrenic and socipath and harley is his only real link to stability. if you read deep into it, one could actually take away that johnny frost is an extension of the joker used to narrate the story in a somewhat logical fashion. azzarello even said he came up with johhny frost because the if the joker narrated it, it would make no sense at all. the book is more in line with the vertigo publications, not something that falls into the regular meat and potatoes dc continuity. they need more gritty tales like this IMO.

as for the gimp leg, my colorful descriptions didn't illustrate it for you? or are you f'n with me? :D

have you read it? it's essentially a realistic portrayal of these maniacs. joker's FAR from fat, the riddler's only in 4 or 5 panels tops, and had even less lines. even less than the penguin. it's a cameo at best. you can't really make a character judgement on a cameo especially without reading it. croc is a black guy, but has a scaly skin disease thing going on. as for the drugs usage, hang around some of the lesser desirable members of society, it's a requirement. the joker is INSANE in this. i don't mean insane like a dime store dr doom he's pretty much a text book paranoid schizophrenic and socipath and harley is his only real link to stability. if you read deep into it, one could actually take away that johnny frost is an extension of the joker used to narrate the story in a somewhat logical fashion. azzarello even said he came up with johhny frost because the if the joker narrated it, it would make no sense at all. the book is more in line with the vertigo publications, not something that falls into the regular meat and potatoes dc continuity. they need more gritty tales like this IMO.

as for the gimp leg, my colorful descriptions didn't illustrate it for you? or are you f'n with me? :D

I'm not f'n with you unfortunately, *sigh* I just don't get it.
And yes the joker isn;t fat, I just saw a misleading picture.
But so is Johnny Frost the Joker?
All in all, this doesn't feel like the Batman type of stuff that I love

No, Frost is just one of the Joker's goons. Its told from his perspective. If you like the Nolan Batman films, than this isn't that different. More of a realistic take on all of the villians. Plus it really shows just how sick and twisted the Joker is.

to each his own.

google club foot, gimp leg, etc... time to walk grasshopper

He made a bank manager masturbate to the bank manager's daughter photo. He killed an elderly couple for no reason.

It really does show just how sick the Joker is, one of the only stories aout him that has made me feel a wee bit uncomfortable

You have to buy

Arkham Asylum by Dave McKean and Grant Morrison
THe killing joke by Brian Bolland and Allan Moore
THe Dark knight by Frank Miller

Absolutely. Some of the best art and story-telling in comics period. Some of the Elseworlds books are fun too, like Gotham by Gaslight and Castle of the Bat - they're only about 50-60 pages long, but have some cool stories. Also the recent Joker trade is excellent, IMO - though Bats has but a brief, albit memorable cameo.

Well, I read The Long Halloween.
I'm guessing that Nolan took some of the ideas for The Dark Knight from this?
For my first 'proper' Batman graphic novel, I have to say that it was very engrossing. the plot was good and it kept me guessing right up until the end, and Wow! I didn't expect that.

Try Dark Victory next if you can. It is the sequel and introduces Robin. Almost as good as Long Halloween with a mystery about as engrossing.

Try Dark Victory next if you can. It is the sequel and introduces Robin. Almost as good as Long Halloween with a mystery about as engrossing.

cheers buddy, I just ordered a few more books: Dark Victory, The Dark Knight Returns and Arkum Aslylum.

Back