Recommendations for Batman Graphic Novels

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morbo

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi Batfans,

I have started to build up a Batman collection, and I was wondering if anyone had recommendations on some good Batman graphic novels.
I have the Judge Dredd and Batman comics, along with the Vampire Batman and Predator vs Baman already.
There seem to be so many of them that I donlt know where to start. My local book shop doesn't stock many graphic novels, so the only place I can get them is online. That means I can't see what the style of drawing is like or what the stories are about.
any help and suggestions would be appreciated.

Hush is beautifully illustrated, though diehard Bat fans seem to hate the story. I enjoyed it for what it was. It got everyone involved from the Rogue's Gallery and even had a brief trip to Metropolis.

Year One, Long Halloween, and Dark Victory are supposed to be good but I didn't at all care for any of the illustrations. I can't get through poorly drawn comics.

You have to buy

Arkham Asylum by Dave McKean and Grant Morrison
THe killing joke by Brian Bolland and Allan Moore
THe Dark knight by Frank Miller

Batman : Year One by Frank Miller
The Dark Knight by Frank Miller
The Killing Joke by Bolland and Moore

Darth Snoopy's list is pretty much the basics of what to read.

I'd also suggest Joker, Face the Face and the man who laughs

I dunno, hush returns is alright, but it's really not one of the staples of Batman comics/graphic novels.

Hush
Dark Knight Returns
Killing Joke
The Man Who Laughs
Joker
Long Halloween
Dark Victory (I wish they would release an Absolute edition of this one)

Those are good ones to start with.

Once you get thru the excellent suggestions posted so far, you can try batman black and white. Not all the story/art are great but I think the good out weight the bad ones.

And if you are not limiting to just batman, robin year one and batgirl year one are both good read.

EDIT: you can try barns noble or boarders for graphic novels if your LCS doesn't carry that many.

EDIT 2: no matter what, STAY AWAY FROM DK2! THE BOOK IS ABSOLUTE TRASH! BAD STORY, BAD ART, A TOTAL WASTE OF THE PAPER IT WAS PRINTED ON.

My alltime favourite has to be The Long Halloween. Followed by Year One, The Killing Joke, The Dark Knight, Hush (simply for the illustration!!!). Also love Dark Victory and the other Sale / Loeb one, name escapes me, think it has been mentioned in this thread.

My favorite is the Hush series. The art is spectacular. There is an Absolute edition oversized hardcover available that is a great book.

You need to learn when something is fact, or when, in this case it is your opinion.

Well done, you can see I was voicing an opinion.

Unlike you, I don't feel the need to add IMO every time I do so.

Stop just trying to stir up trouble.

Also, in the wider Batman 'verse - The whole 'gotham central' series was exceptional. I think there were about 40 or so issues in the series, i was bummed when it was discontinued... Anyway, the stories are available in Graphic Novel form from any decent comic store.

Back