Recommendations for Batman Graphic Novels

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the recent Joker graphic novel by Brian Azzarello was great. Kinda mix of TDK Joker and comic Joker with the cut smile. Really shows off just how twisted the Joker is.

I think the recent Joker graphic novel by Brian Azzarello was great. Kinda mix of TDK Joker and comic Joker with the cut smile. Really shows off just how twisted the Joker is.

I'll have to check that one out. So he has a cut mouth?

good suggestions... if i could only choose one, Arkham Asylum is it hands down.

as has been said earlier, DK returns, Year One, Arkham Asylum are my top 3. I read em all when i was 8-9 years old. If I may add....some of you guys will probably skin me alive... (deep breath).....All Star Batman and Robin. Either Frank Miller still retains his genius, or he's completely lost his mind. not my fav, but it makes an impression nonetheless

Well, in All Star Batman and Robin, he has lost his mind. He's taking the whole caricature Batman of his too far IMO. I buy that comic just for Jim Lee's gorgeous art.

The Batman Chronicles are good if you're interested in seeing how the character first got started.

Am also a big fan of Batman : Child of Dreams by Kia Asamiya

Also, in the wider Batman 'verse - The whole 'gotham central' series was exceptional. I think there were about 40 or so issues in the series, i was bummed when it was discontinued... Anyway, the stories are available in Graphic Novel form from any decent comic store.

yes!! read gotham central, awesome.
Joker's sniper spree :rock
read this series

absolutely too far, but there's some sort of appeal, to me anyways. i can't really put my finger on what it is. reminds me of blacksploitation or brucesploitation both absolutely horrible but strangely fun. jims' art is top notch as always, the plot is meh, but the ridiculous dialogue....well take it was you will. but back on track, i'd like to add the entire black and white series, i like the isolated vignette style and the various interpretations of the talent involved. also, paul dini's "war of crime" with alex ross' art in oversize format is an instant classic. by the way, i'm new here :date

You have to buy

Arkham Asylum by Dave McKean and Grant Morrison
THe killing joke by Brian Bolland and Allan Moore
THe Dark knight by Frank Miller

:lecture:lecture:lecture

and by the by the Long Halloween series is great and is not poorly drawn - Tim Sale has his own style and suites the stories very well - look into it.

Also, in the wider Batman 'verse - The whole 'gotham central' series was exceptional. I think there were about 40 or so issues in the series, i was bummed when it was discontinued... Anyway, the stories are available in Graphic Novel form from any decent comic store.

yes!! read gotham central, awesome.
Joker's sniper spree :rock
read this book

:lecture:lecture:lecture

and by the by the Long Halloween series is great and is not poorly drawn - Tim Sale has his own style and suites the stories very well - look into it.

I gotta agree. Tim Sale's work is superb. Jim Lee's stuff is indeed beautifully drawn, but there is something obvious and unexciting about his work for me. I much prefer Sale's style.

Some My personal favorites are the previously mentioned:
Long Halloween
Killing Joke
Hush

One I really liked though was Bruce Wayne: Murderer?. I thought that book was great and very interesting to see how Bruce/Batman's mind changed throughout the story.

Graphic Novels:

Killing Joke
The dark knight returns (not the sequel though)
Long Haloween
Arkham Asylum ( suggested for mature readers though)

Trade Paperbacks:

Batman Knightfall ( breaking of the Batman)
Death in the family (Robin dies)
anything by Neal Adams as he redefined the character's dark roots in the 70s.

Back