Stryker2011's: JABBA THRONE ROOM CUSTOM DIORAMA (Cabinet build in progress))

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Stryker2011's: JABBA THRONE ROOM CUSTOM DIORAMA (FINISHED - for now)

Absolutely incredible!! Definitely the Madre de Dios! Hahaha

Thanks, fellas. It’s been fun adding more and more characters. I think I need to add more knickknacks, however.

Haha what kind of knickknacks do you need to add?

Haha what kind of knickknacks do you need to add?

I’d like to be able to add that tiered table that was over by the Carbonite room, and I’m thinking of doing those (I think) additional hookah tendrils that were hanging from the ceilings in strategic locations.

Ooooo wasn't that tiered table the one that TaliBane did? He did an excellent job on that haha.

Ooooo wasn't that tiered table the one that TaliBane did? He did an excellent job on that haha.

I honestly can’t remember, but I think so. I remember wanting one, because it did look really cool.

Yeah, I just PM'ed Stryker about the table - I can maybe send him the mold. I just explained to him it's a LOT of work, more than you'd think (I told him had I known, I probably wouldn't have done it!.)

Definitely a good candidate for a 3D sculpt rather than a scratch build, like Jabba's BBQ. If Mati returns here, we can hit him up. My guess a 3D sculpt may already exist for it - I've been told multiple people have done a decent job sculpting the BBQ plus many other background SW acessories (like the cargo boxes in D94 for example.)

I said to Stry I only did that table to go along with your insanely cool Amana kit (which is by far my favorite 1/6 figure of all time, and I have well over 100 SW 1/6 figs...) because the display base had a large gap due to his long arms holding the staff and skeleton. Had it not been for that Amana, no way would I have done it.

Here's a couple more pics. I added the Sideshow Mythos Fett & Tusken Raider to the mix. (the photos never seem to capture the actual dark, and in some places stark, lighting of the dio as it appears to the naked eye, so they are much brighter than reality).

View attachment 506145

This is next-level stuff, Stryker.:clap:clap:clap

If I find a good sculpt of the BBQ, I will let you know. I really need one, but a few sculpts I've seen aren't all that accurate. There's a guy on FB "FigureWorks" who has a decent sculpt but it's for 4-6" scale figs. He plans to re-detail it for 1/6 after I asked. I think he sells the prints too, not just the file, for those of us without a 3D printer.:lol

Thanks, Tali, I responded to your PM. Appreciate all the kind words, and the offer of the molds. As you said, it seems to be a tricky thing for such a small item — kind of like the 3D Chess from the OS of Star Trek, where it LOOKS easy, but really isn’t.

Tali, I could totally be down for a mold/cast too if you're selling! That table is super cool, I need to go back and find your pics of those. (I forget which thread you posted them)
I don't want to derail Stryker's thread but I'm absolutely delighted and honored that my Amanaman is one of your faves, that makes me really happy! thank you so much for the kind words.

Back on track, I think I saw that BBQ you're talking about too! It looks great and very well done, just wish it was 1/6 scale.

I finally cleaned up my Jabba display (became a dumping ground for half-finished custom figs:lol) so will be able to take some good pics of that Jabba table soon.

And I didn't say your Amana was one of my faves, I said THE fave!:lecture:lol (And I did an inventory, so that's #1 out of 111 SW figs on display currently.) He has a really creepy/evil presence (evil gumby...) but is also a uniquely cool creature design. I always like how Stryker's Amana is kinda lurking in the shadows. I LOVED building that kit.

That BBQ is really part of jabba's "look" because it's right behind him the whole time, so hopefully a great 1/6 version will pop up - it's really only a matter of time.

And Stryker, are you okay with your Leia slave's limbs so bent? I finally finished mine but I'm a little nervous bending the elbows or knees too much because of all the cracking (I guess through rubber deterioration) horror stories.

Those types of seamless bodies are nowhere near as expensive as they used to be, and they are even pretty plentiful these days too, but it's such fiddly work getting everything for the slave Leia onto a new body. And then there's the issue of matching hands, neck joints, getting feet/shoes sorted out etc.

And Stryker, are you okay with your Leia slave's limbs so bent? I finally finished mine but I'm a little nervous bending the elbows or knees too much because of all the cracking (I guess through rubber deterioration) horror stories.

Those types of seamless bodies are nowhere near as expensive as they used to be, and they are even pretty plentiful these days too, but it's such fiddly work getting everything for the slave Leia onto a new body. And then there's the issue of matching hands, neck joints, getting feet/shoes sorted out etc.

So far so good on the body (I used a Jiaou Doll “Wheaten” as it’s the closest in skin tone). All of my figures are in a cool, dark basement man-cave where the temperature and humidity barely fluctuate throughout the year (from ungodly hot Summers to witch-tit cold Winters), the windows are all blacked out, so unless I turn on the lights it’s pitch black at all times — knock on wood, none of my figures clothing or bodies (Hot Toys, etc.) have had any flaking issues. It helps to also have central air and heat kept at roughly the same temps throughout the year, as well. I know you didn’t ask all that, Tali, but I thought it might be helpful to know the circumstances in which my collection lives. As far as Leia goes, I’ve manipulated her a few times to get her into as natural a “pose” as possible, with the limitations of the Jiaou body itself, and I haven’t taken her out of it since — but examining her, I haven’t seen any stress or tears — though I haven’t unbent her legs to see if there is cracking behind them. (Oh, aside from using the HT ROTJ Leia head, I also used the HT hands, as the Jiaou hands are a bit stumpy/chubby with painted nails, and just didn’t look right.

I finally cleaned up my Jabba display (became a dumping ground for half-finished custom figs:lol) so will be able to take some good pics of that Jabba table soon.

And I didn't say your Amana was one of my faves, I said THE fave!:lecture:lol (And I did an inventory, so that's #1 out of 111 SW figs on display currently.) He has a really creepy/evil presence (evil gumby...) but is also a uniquely cool creature design. I always like how Stryker's Amana is kinda lurking in the shadows. I LOVED building that kit.

That BBQ is really part of jabba's "look" because it's right behind him the whole time, so hopefully a great 1/6 version will pop up - it's really only a matter of time.

I am truly honored! That's a big compliment! I'm glad you had a fun time building your kit. I'm genuinely jealous of the accuracy you managed to achieve!
I can't wait to see those new pics of the table too!

And Stryker if you want to keep adding pics of your Jabba display I don't think I'll ever get tired of looking at it haha.

So far so good on the body (I used a Jiaou Doll “Wheaten” as it’s the closest in skin tone). All of my figures are in a cool, dark basement man-cave where the temperature and humidity barely fluctuate throughout the year (from ungodly hot Summers to witch-tit cold Winters), the windows are all blacked out, so unless I turn on the lights it’s pitch black at all times — knock on wood, none of my figures clothing or bodies (Hot Toys, etc.) have had any flaking issues. It helps to also have central air and heat kept at roughly the same temps throughout the year, as well. I know you didn’t ask all that, Tali, but I thought it might be helpful to know the circumstances in which my collection lives. As far as Leia goes, I’ve manipulated her a few times to get her into as natural a “pose” as possible, with the limitations of the Jiaou body itself, and I haven’t taken her out of it since — but examining her, I haven’t seen any stress or tears — though I haven’t unbent her legs to see if there is cracking behind them. (Oh, aside from using the HT ROTJ Leia head, I also used the HT hands, as the Jiaou hands are a bit stumpy/chubby with painted nails, and just didn’t look right.

Hmm, maybe I should give it a go. I realized there are slave Leia laying-down poses where her legs aren't bent much, like where she's leaning on her elbow etc.

I am truly honored! That's a big compliment! I'm glad you had a fun time building your kit. I'm genuinely jealous of the accuracy you managed to achieve!
I can't wait to see those new pics of the table too!

And Stryker if you want to keep adding pics of your Jabba display I don't think I'll ever get tired of looking at it haha.

Yeah I still l remember opening that Amana kit box and getting sooo freakin' excited.:rock:lol

In terms of pics of the table/Amana, I took a few test pics the other day but I've been waiting for a nice bright day to take better lit pics but it's been raining/cloudy forever here.

Amanaman is just perfect! I wanna see video of your setup Stryker.

I’ve never done one before, but I started work on building the cabinet again — since it’s warming up and I can get back in the garage — so once I’m done I’ll see if I can manage to pull one off; if not, it’ll probably be a new series of pics highlighting everything.

Can?t wait to see the cabinet and as Cagoda mentioned I will also never get tired is seeing shots of your drool-inducing creation :D 🤤

Some work in progress pics of the cabinet build. I've been working on this monstrosity over the last couple of summers; now that it's hotter than the 7th level of Hell this weekend, I haven't been doing much, so I thought I'd share some pics of what's been happening.

The table top and the legs (with industrial castors); the wood is all solid oak or oak plywood... so very heavy.

1.jpg
2.jpg

The bottom of the table surface with "keys" to lock the legs in place

3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

Due to the size of the castors, I had to add these extra pieces of the beams (these won't be visible once the bottom shelf is added).

6.jpg
7.jpg

The table top is bolted using counter-sunk large lag bolts to lock the legs in place. This entire thing is being built to be put together and taken apart in pieces in the event that I ever have to move it again. Unless I hire a couple of body-builders, its too damn heavy for me and the wife to lift just the two of us.

8.jpg
9.jpg

The unpainted finished table with lower shelf added (now start to make the upper cabinet parts begins).

10.jpg
11.jpg

The outer side panels. This is a weird design, as part of the side pieces have to overhang the table surface, and have removable panels (this is to access the lights and wiring on the side of the diorama (as once that thing is in place, I won't be able to get at those in the event a bulb burns out unless I remove and disassemble the diorama again from the back of the cabinet). The panels are locked into place with keys, and the corners of the pieces are reinforced with L-Angle Iron to support the upper frame.

12.jpg

The bracket below the removable panel is what sits on the surface of the table, so you can see how much of the cabinet overhangs the table top (this is due to the overly large amount of space required between the roof of the diorama and the ceiling of the cabinet, because of all the lights -- which requires that the front "picture frame" window to have 8" at the top and bottom and 4.5" on each side to balance the "frame" itself out -- if that makes sense).

13.jpg
14.jpg
15.jpg

The upper frame (all the dado cuts are a pain in the butt, and take up a lot of time -- not to mention that one of those pieces is only 1/5" wide -- Watch out fingers!!!) The upper frame is also made of solid oak, but the removable panels that will go into them will be made out of pine to make them easy to lift out and be less stressful on the overall framing (though the long pieces will also be reinforced with steel angle iron).

16.jpg
17.jpg

And the table itself painted (where it needs to be painted) in the spot in my "man cave" where it will sit.

18.jpg

And, that's all I have for now. Thanks for looking.

Back