RATE or REVIEW The Last Movie You Watched.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How much does it differ from the book?
It shares nothing in common with the movie.

The main baddie was a Carnatore that was spliced with and octopus so it could blend with any environment. They had to us flashlights that would stun it as it couldn't duplicate white light easily.

They eventually used the concept for the JW baddie.

Black Crab (Netflix, Swedish, starring Noomi Rapace).

This was a relatively serviceable semi-dystopian war suspense flick, with minor flaws re: character development and genre cliches that could easily be overlooked but for one of the stupidest endings I've ever seen. Up til the last ten minutes it was a decent 6/10 thanks to some cool action set pieces and genuine tension as a small team of commandos skated 100 miles across thin ice to deliver an unknown package that would win their side the war... but once the credits rolled it was maybe a 2/10 at best.

Then I followed this turd up with Kate (also Netflix, starring some chick and another chick and a Woody Harrelson phone-in). I give it a not-nearly-as-good and mostly boring cliched version of La Femme Nikita + Atomic Blonde + Ava + Red Sparrow + Salt/10

Starship Troopers 4K 7/10
In two minds about this one, when I first saw it in cinema I loved it, constantly funny and just so over the top. Later on I appreciated the social commentary more. But the cheese, the awful acting and the repetition of ideas makes it not RoboCop.
I think the combination of limited budget and 4K makes this film not look great, it’s very grainy, which in and of itself is fine, but highlights some truly average effects (mainly the spaceship stuff). The Phil Tippett aliens are still awesome though.

Speed 4K 8/10
Not quite the classic some people will call it but really top popcorn entertainment. My younger son left halfway though citing boredom. What the?

Halloween 5 4K 6/10
Ok not as good as 4. I really liked Danielle Harris in these films, although as a very young person must have gone through the wringer in the production of these films. I wish they brought her back (pretty sure they didn’t?).

Kindergarten Cop 6/10
Slight but a lot of fun

Blade Trinity 7/10
Nowhere near the first two but a lot of fun. Is this really a hated him? Main bad guy is awful but Parker Posey is amazing as always. Jessica Biel is so good in this and makes me want the HT figure now. Ryan Reynolds super hero shtick started here didn’t it? And hasn’t changed much since lol. So how many comic book characters has he played now? 3 or 4?

Scream 2022 4K 6/10
Really disappointed in this. Just super lazy filmmaking.

Last edited:
Two MCU flicks within 24 hours:

Spider-Man: No Way Home. 3/10. Everything felt heavy-handed to me about this blatant nostalgia grab. The MCU formula of near constant jokey banter punctuated by “tug at your heartstrings” moments has become completely opaque, and its grown stale for me. I completely lost my willing suspension of disbelief. In fact by the time of what was supposed to be the triumphant final battle of the three Spideys versus the supervillains I actually became antsy wanting for this movie to end.

I never saw this movie in the theater and watched it via 4K disk on home theater OLED TV that normally I prefer to the movie theater. Watched it Friday night before the Saturday of opening weekend for the movie below in order to get caught up, at least with movies. (Now have only Moon Knight to watch to be totally caught up.) I was actually a bit worried that maybe I had lost interest in the MCU after watching NWH. Because I have struggled a bit to make it through some of the MCU’s TV series, and didn’t enjoy some of them.

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness. 9/10. I really enjoyed this movie a lot. I’m not particularly a fan of Cumberbatch’s Strange versus the comics I grew up reading. But he works as a sort of Tony Stark replacement so I can understand and accept why they went the route that they did. With this movie I at least cared about the characters and what happens to them. For me the story was engrossing. Excellent performance by Olsen. Cameos didn’t actually do much for me, eh, whatever. But I did care about the larger plot and story with Chavez and Wanda. The horror genre aspect didn’t really impact me much. But again, I cared about the main story, and characters and their fates. Raimi knows how to tell a story. So big thumbs up for this one from me. I hope we get to see the director’s cut even if just via disk with the 35 minutes that Disney took out to get the most IMAX showings.

Last edited:
The Suicide Squad. 5/10

Lost interest after the gag of killing people in gory ways wore off….

Its another bad DC film. At least they went full comedy this time without any real attempt at serious tone.

Starship Troopers 4K 7/10
In two minds about this one, when I first saw it in cinema I loved it, constantly funny and just so over the top. Later on I appreciated the social commentary more. But the cheese, the awful acting and the repetition of ideas makes it not RoboCop.
I think the combination of limited budget and 4K makes this film not look great, it’s very grainy, which in and of itself is fine, but highlights some truly average effects (mainly the spaceship stuff). The Phil Tippett aliens are still awesome though.

I'm surprised you're pointing to the spaceships as poor effects - maybe I need to watch it again but I've always thought they were top-notch. One of the last movies to extensively use physical models for spaceships.

Speed 4K 8/10
Not quite the classic some people will call it but really top popcorn entertainment. My younger son left halfway though citing boredom. What the?

'What the' indeed. The pace of the film almost speaks for itself in the title of the movie.

Halloween 5 4K 6/10
Ok not as good as 4. I really liked Danielle Harris in these films, although as a very young person must have gone through the wringer in the production of these films. I wish they brought her back (pretty sure they didn’t?).

Was just thinking the other day after receiving the NECA Halloween II Myers/Dr Loomis 2 pack. I'm pretty sure I've only ever seen the original film, H20 and the 3rd one that had nothing to do with any of the others.

Kindergarten Cop 6/10
Slight but a lot of fun

A sentimental favourite of mine.

I haven’t watched Speed since release, but given it’s nearly 30 years old I’m not surprised the younger gen will find it boring. I put on 2000’s ‘Charlie’s Angels’ for the kids the other night - I remembered it as a fun, action-packed romp. We managed to get through 10-15 minutes. The pacing, comic timing, set pieces and effects of modern cinema just makes a lot of older action romps look like grandma’s doilies. ‘Miss Congeniality’ still holds up tho, lol.

Never saw Miss Congeniality. I do recall this image though

428e97247a15f77458e35c81074a3005.jpg

Oh yes :p

Haven’t got round to introducing them to Demolition Man yet - another good Bullock film I hope still holds up.

Been on a “based on a true story” movie binge lately.

The Best of Enemies - 8/10 - Sam Rockwell is one of my favorites.

The Dig - 5/10 - Kinda interesting but very, very slow.

Adrift - 6/10 - A harrowing lost at sea / love story.

The Professor and the Madman - 7/10 - This one took way too many artistic liberties I thought but the overall story was fascinating and one I had no idea took place.

Oh yes :p

Haven’t got round to introducing them to Demolition Man yet - another good Bullock film I hope still holds up.
Sandra was one of 3 big celeb crushes I had in the mid-nineties - Sandra in films, the others were on TV - Gillian Anderson and Jennifer Aniston.

I still like Demolition Man but I'm pretty susceptible to nostalgia-bias.

Sandra was one of 3 big celeb crushes I had in the mid-nineties - Sandra in films, the others were on TV - Gillian Anderson and Jennifer Aniston.

I still like Demolition Man but I'm pretty susceptible to nostalgia-bias.
Gillian Anderson is popping up a bit lately... she did a good Maggie Thatcher in The Crown and a good role as a sex therapist in Sex Education, both Netflix.

3 big 90s celeb crushes... Sandra Bullock, Winona Ryder and Drew Barrymore. Drew's a bit of a weird crush, might be the 'girl next door' vibe, or a hangover from ET.

I'm surprised you're pointing to the spaceships as poor effects - maybe I need to watch it again but I've always thought they were top-notch. One of the last movies to extensively use physical models for spaceships.

I should cut it some slack I think it was a fairly low budget film at the time and I think 4K is making optical effects look quite bad generally. I remember being in awe of those scenes in 97 so I should stick to that!!

Was just thinking the other day after receiving the NECA Halloween II Myers/Dr Loomis 2 pack. I'm pretty sure I've only ever seen the original film, H20 and the 3rd one that had nothing to do with any of the others.
I’m rewatching all of them but I think I’ve hit the wall in terms of what Scream Factory has released in 4K.

A sentimental favourite of mine.
Yes same, Kindergarten Cop and Twins, I am a sucker for pretty much anything with Arnie. Hard to explain though - even like Last Action Hero god help me.

Last Action Hero was a cool movie. It was meta before meta was a thing and it didn't take itself too seriously.
It’s got lots of problems and that kid is insufferable in a kind of Jake Lloyd kind of way but a ton of great ideas. I’m a sucker for farting corpse movies :)

Back