RATE or REVIEW The Last Movie You Watched.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Final Frontier

It's been a while since I've seen this, but ouch. Some of the Spock/Kirk/McCoy stuff is solid, but that's all it has going for it. I can't rate it anything above a 5/10, and I might be being generous. Hated Sybok. Thought a lot of it was stupid.

It's pretty awful.

I've been watching the Trek TOS films for the first time in several years, and my ranking is as follows:

The Motion Picture: 6/10....suffers from being boring, and my lack of caring about Decker or Illia.
The Wrath of Khan: 9.5/10.....the best.
The Search for Spock: 7.5/10....it had its strong moments (hated the Savvik recast though).
The Voyage Home 8.5/10....the most fun.

Haven't gotten to Undiscovered Country yet, but I enjoyed that one a lot when I originally watched it.

a-dev I said lets take it to the Terminator thread in Aliens/Robots. :panic:

Fine, have it your way. :)

Soooooo.....

T1 didn't really have any ball.s either. There were no moral quandries in that film. The most questionable thing Reese did was steal the pants off a homeless man. And Arnie as the T-800? He just did what its expected villains will do, he killed people (as the T-1000 did in T2, the villains job, not the hero). My point here is should one have expected T2 to have been more ballsy than T1 was? Certainly if things transpired as you detail it would have been more hardcore than T1.

I didn't mean that literaly the only way for a hardcore sci-fi thriller to have "ball.s" is to have a good guy murdering people. That would have just been *one* way T2 could have achieved it, since he wasn't technically "good," just a reprogrammed killing machine. What I like (and your mileage may vary of course) is for R-rated sci-fi thrillers/action thrillers to have a level of unpleasantness or something that's a bit disturbing. Not necessarily "in your face" or every other second of the movie but it is an important aspect IMO.

In The Terminator the T800 was a fearsome Freddy Krueger-esque villain with machine guns. It really had an element of horror to it. Both in the future, (people being blown apart, women crying off screen, and so on) and in the present (him ripping people's hearts out, cops screaming in pain as he slaughters an entire precinct, the door to door slayings, the limping zombie robot, etc.)

I won't go off about the unsettling/disturbing aspects of Aliens and Robocop because they're pretty obvious.

I don't think T2 had any. And any moment where it borderlined on getting intense there'd be an immediate crowd pleasing moment or a laugh (or a Rodney King speech.)

The T-800 not killing people has always seemed to be a big issue for T2 detractors but its not like the film totally fails to address it. Its quite clear he was going to kill the jock douchbags. And the guys in the bar he just doesn't happen to kill - in the same way the T1 version didn't happen to kill the guy he kicks out of the phone box or the William Fisher cop that he commandeers the police car from or the bouncer who tries to stop him going into Tech Noir. It can be rationalised as mere happenstance that the T2 T-800 didn't kill anyone. He was willing to and was about to.

Eh, I find those weak attempts to "address" his killing nature at best. Kind of like Indy drawing his pistol in KOTCS but not shooting anyone. Whoopedy do. You know you think "guns are bad" now Steve so that little gesture doesn't count.

And little John being able to just push the hundred pound hydraulic arm of a T800 aside as its about to shoot someone just made the terminator look weak.

Now perhaps you can accept that but you still would rather him actually kill someone and see what the repercussions of that would be for John and Sarah. Fair enough. Ultimately you would never see me saying 'yeah I wish they would have done it this way or that way' because I enjoy it exactly as it is. Having said that, I would be intrigued if we could have gotten an ''alternate'' T2 that played out your way. If the T-800 had killed people they couldn't just gloss over that and it could have been a very different film. Undeniably that'd be interesting and there'd be no doubting that this was the same cold killer as in the first film. I'd love to see if, ala King Kong, the T-800 could still be sympathetic despite killing innocent bystanders. Remake anyone?

You know I actually agree with you on that in some regard. What's done is done and for better or worse its a pretty iconic movie that greatly imprinted on our society and certainly me (I saw it seven times in the theater!) when I first saw it. I laughed at all the "funny" parts, cheered when he jumped onto the hood of the semi and unloaded an assault rifle into the T1000 and thought it was pretty emotional when he gave the thumbs up at the end.

I just find that what worked the first few times I saw it doesn't still hold true anymore.

On a related note T3 pissed me off over a missed opportunity for a harder edge and a potential bit of T1 nostalgia factor - before seeing the film I had read about the TX's ability to control other machines. I thought 'great! Clearly thats going to be used on the T-800 and we're going to see Arnie in villain-mode again and hopefully a recreation of his T1 performance'.......instead all that happened was the T-800 briefly became a Terminator-Zombie and all John Connor had to do was talk him out of it. Wow.

Ha ha, yeah. It was kind of like the end of The Naked Gun when Frank Dreben was able to talk Priscilla Presley out of her "hypnosis" through sappy and intentionally cheesy dialogue. :lol

"John, is dat you? I'm back and I wuv you!"

Totally agree. The only thing the movie did for me was get me back into the original movies and episodes of TOS, TNG and DS9, and remind me how good they were and still are.

I thought that despite everything I had read I might still like it but not so as it turned out. Every criticism - both as far as the writing is concerned and all the nerdy stuff too - it was all completely right and it was all just too much. Too much wrong for the good to win out with this particular film. I think I'd rather watch Nemesis tbh.

Back