random blade runner question

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did a whole report on Blade Runner....and I dont know why. It had nothing to do with the assignment. :lol

Class liked it though.

I have been in love with this movie from when it was released on video for the first time. I enjoy watching all the versions that are out there, but the final cut is the definitive version in my eyes. The one thing I will refuse except in any version though, is that Deckard is a Replicant

Cool movie with a lot of questions left after watching . . . it's always interesting to read other peoples takes on movies like this . . you may still think the movie is crap but you might at least understand why some people are fascinated by it . .

Is Deckard a Replicant - he dreams of a unicorn (allusion to do androids dream of electric sheep)

what has more value - humans without emotions or machines with emotions

another neat viewpoint:

Roy is clearly intended as a Christ figure, which explains the nail thru the hand. As he is dying, he uses the same hand to save his enemy.

Likewise, in the final scene Roy holds a white dove. The white dove is the Christian symbol of the Holy Spirit, part of the trinity. He then releases the dove, which ascends-- again, right out of Christian iconography. There is also a rather conspicious crucifix in the background of the last scene (The "T" in the neon sign).

Last edited:
Is Deckard a Replicant - he dreams of a unicorn (allusion to do androids dream of electric sheep)

what has more value - humans without emotions or machines with emotions

That's why I say Deckard is not a Replicant. He is the compleate opposite to Batty. I'm with Frank Darabont, who says the Unicorn Dream belongs to Rachael. Deckard has read her file and so has Gaff

Sleepy in a best-nap-ever kind of way. The music makes me drift into a lucid dream state. I wish I had the soundtrack by Vangelis.

I have 5 different versions of the soundtrack on CD. I listen to it all the time. :D

That's why I say Deckard is not a Replicant. He is the compleate opposite to Batty. I'm with Frank Darabont, who says the Unicorn Dream belongs to Rachael. Deckard has read her file and so has Gaff

I feel the same way. I've never thought Deckard was a replicant.

That's what confused me - was whether or not Deckard was a replicant...I didn't think he was...but there were parts in the movie that made me wonder....especially since Rachel asks him if he has ever administered the test on himself.....and the fact that Rachel did not know she was one.....it is feasible that he would not know that he was one either.

But the whole idea that was brought up about what is more important - humans without emotions or replicants with emotions is very interesting.....and I never really thought of Batty as a "Christ" figure...but with some of the points that have been brought up, I can see that now.......makes me want to watch it again. :)

That's what confused me - was whether or not Deckard was a replicant...I didn't think he was...but there were parts in the movie that made me wonder....especially since Rachel asks him if he has ever administered the test on himself.....and the fact that Rachel did not know she was one.....it is feasible that he would not know that he was one either.

Well even Harrison Ford and Ridley Scott can't agree on that one. :cool:

But the unicorn that Deckard gets at the end is supposed to be definitive.

I've always felt that Deckard was a replicant. Much like Rachel, he was given memories which is what the Unicorn dream is all about. We don't see him having that dream until after he tells Rachel about her memory of the Spider outside of her window. It's like his equivelent to that. It also suggests that the dream is what makes him begin to question his own humanity.

It gives a whole new layer to the idea he is running around retiring people much like himself. I felt the reason he comes out of retirement is more or less that he was designed with the purpose of control in mind, control for the lesser replicants that got out of hand. It's like his calling, he feels empty when he isn't working. Along the way he finally begins to feels sorry for these things he's killed all of his life, alot in part thanks to Rachel. It's the first time he couldn't tell right away that these weren't real people, and it bothers him. He obviously falls in love with her, which is totally the opposite of what he's done all his life, and you can tell he starts having a hard time, especially by the time he kills Pris.

By the time he's saved by Roy, he knows been given a second chance, which is why rather then kill Rachel, he runs away with her. When he picks up the Unicorn left by Gaff, it is Gaff letting him know, not only was he there and let Rachel live, that he knows Deckard's memory, the same way Deck knew Rachel's about the spider. The only thing I question is how long Gaff knows about Deckard. If he knew from the moment he was sent out by Bryant to bring him in, or if he didn't learn it until after Tyrell's death.

Other clues given by Gaff, "You've done a MAN'S job sir." after he finds Deck and an expired Batty on the rooftop. You've done a Man's job seems like an odd comment given the situation, why a Man's job? Why not just a good job? I always thought he was trying to tell him right there that he was a replicant. Also of course "It's too bad she won't live, but then again WHO does?"

Captain Bryant, a human, orders Deckard to kill Rachel. Deckard cannot. "More Human, then Human."

Of course Ridley has finally flat out said he's a replicant. That put to rest any doubt in my mind as far as the film is concerned. Debate closes, simply because it's his film. That's why there are so many cuts, Director's Cut, Final Cut, he makes the calls, and if he says it then it's true.

Now if he is or not in the novel is a differant story, as to if that was what Phillip K. D!ck intended. But again, Scott's FILM so if he says he is, he is...in the movie.

Last edited:
I've always felt that Deckard was a replicant. Much like Rachel, he was given memories which is what the Unicorn dream is all about. We don't see him having that dream until after he tells Rachel about her memory of the Spider outside of her window. It's like his equivelent to that. It also suggests that the dream is what makes him begin to question his own humanity.

It gives a whole new layer to the idea he is running around retiring people much like himself. I felt the reason he comes out of retirement is more or less that he was designed with the purpose of control in mind, control for the lesser replicants that got out of hand. It's like his calling, he feels empty when he isn't working. Along the way he finally begins to feels sorry for these things he's killed all of his life, alot in part thanks to Rachel. It's the first time he couldn't tell right away that these weren't real people, and it bothers him. He obviously falls in love with her, which is totally the opposite of what he's done all his life, and you can tell he starts having a hard time, especially by the time he kills Pris.

By the time he's saved by Roy, he knows been given a second chance, which is why rather then kill Rachel, he runs away with her. When he picks up the Unicorn left by Gaff, it is Gaff letting him know, not only was he there and let Rachel live, that he knows Deckard's memory, the same way Deck knew Rachel's about the spider. The only thing I question is how long Gaff knows about Deckard. If he knew from the moment he was sent out by Bryant to bring him in, or if he didn't learn it until after Tyrell's death.

Other clues given by Gaff, "You've done a MAN'S job sir." after he finds Deck and an expired Batty on the rooftop. You've done a Man's job seems like an odd comment given the situation, why a Man's job? Why not just a good job? I always thought he was trying to tell him right there that he was a replicant. Also of course "It's too bad she won't live, but then again WHO does?"

Captain Bryant, a human, orders Deckard to kill Rachel. Deckard cannot. "More Human, then Human."

Of course Ridley has finally flat out said he's a replicant. That put to rest any doubt in my mind as far as the film is concerned. Debate closes, simply because it's his film. That's why there are so many cuts, Director's Cut, Final Cut, he makes the calls, and if he says it then it's true.

Now if he is or not in the novel is a differant story, as to if that was what Phillip K. D!ck intended. But again, Scott's FILM so if he says he is, he is...in the movie.

Well that certainly cleared up any questions I had. :lol I hadn't heard about Ripley coming out and saying Deckard was a replicant...well the pieces have fallen into place for me after many years of confusion. :)

Back