random blade runner question

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theghostinside

Super Freak
Reaction score
hey i am a huge fan of ridley scott and had never seen blade runner before. so i went out and bought the final cut edition of the movie and i have to say that i wasnt too impressed. before i get flammed over this i was just curious to if it is something that i need to see the original first or if the final cut is the definitive version. i am really interested in the movie just wanted to know if i am missing out on something or what

The Final Cut is the definitive version imo. The only thing I could suggest is maybe reading the book it's based on "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" if you haven't already and then take a shot at a second viewing. Blade Runner seems to be one of those love it or hate it type of movies. I didn't really come to appreciate it til many years after I first saw it.

I don't think you need to see the original, but there are differences (mainly the voice over and ending). Sometimes if you don't like a movie, you don't like a movie. What weren't you impressed with?

yes, i am very interested myself in why you weren't impressed.

one of my favorites movies of all time - but then again, I grew up with this film.

i may just not like the movie then. i thought the pacing and the story of the movie were a little weak. being such a huge legend fan i expected more of an immersive atmosphere. i heard the soundtrack is different than the original and that might have something to do with it.

No, you don't need to see the original. It's not that much of a difference to sway your opinion. I do think somewhere along the line you might want to watch it again. Blade Runner is not to everyone's liking and that's ok, but I've seen plently of folks take to it on another viewing. One of my all time favorites. Seeing it in a moive theater is unbelievable! Again, if you don't care for it, it's just not your thing. The original cut will not change your mind.

I have a few friends that felt the same way so don't feel bad. One thing you can do if you don't have time to read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep is jump on Wikipedia and read up on the subject a little more to gain a better appreciation. Maybe listen to some old Gary Numan albums. Just kidding but his music has a very Blade Runner feel to it, especially Down in the Park.
My friends are now huge fans of Blade Runner. One said he thinks it is better than Empire Strikes Back, but we love him anyway. What made the difference for them was separation, they waited a few months and watched it again. Give it some time than watch it again. Your opinion might change.
I first saw it when I was a kid and just didn't get it. When the Director's Cut came out I was a teenager and was finally mature enough that it all made sense.

I think you should give it some time and then watch it again. I remember not loving it the first time. Also, you might want to watch some of the documentary and then watch it again.

I agree. Time and distance help.

I saw it several years ago (around the time I started college) and wasn't overly impressed. It was cool looking, but not a masterpiece.

Fast forward a few years, and I gained a better appreciation for the nuances. Plus, I took a 20th Century SF Literature class as a freshman in college, and we had to read "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?", and that helped my view of the movie.

Again, it's a Love It/Hate It kind of movie. Give it some time, try reading the book, and watch it again. If you still don't like it, it's doubtful you ever will.

I have the 5 disc set on blu-ray and have watched it several times.....though I will be honest...the ending (of the final version - which is the only one I've seen) does confuse me. :eek: :lol

Blade Runner is one of the most beautiful, ground-breaking, wonderfully acted, amazingly shot, boring movies of all time.

I watched this movie over & over while growing up, then did not see it for probably 10 years or so. Upon watching it again, I love the idea and the technical aspects, but it really is a very slow, boring movie. When it rocks though, it really rocks.

I didn't care for this movie. It insists on itself.

:joy

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/wWuR6r1Uvxs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/wWuR6r1Uvxs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Back