Quentin Tarantino says the 80's sucked.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well if you were brought up in the era of CGI onslaught in movies, you are kind of brainwashed into thinking that is what makes a movie enjoyable. Pacing, story and characters are ultimately what matter in a movie. Can you really answer if Heat is a better movie than The Avengers? Just two different animals where you might prefer one now, then the other another time. Always good for discourse, however.

Well if you were brought up in the era of CGI onslaught in movies, you are kind of brainwashed into thinking that is what makes a movie enjoyable. Pacing, story and characters are ultimately what matter in a movie. Can you really answer if Heat is a better movie than The Avengers? Just two different animals where you might prefer one now, then the other another time. Always good for discourse, however.

Well I was brought up without the CGI onslaught and I still might say I like Avengers more than HEAT :lol

But I love Heat as well.

Ducky has not watched a ton of films before the mid to late 00's

I think the MPAA were also at an all time moral high in the 80's compared to the 70's. DePalma had to take them to court, and he won, to get an R for Scarface without cuts.

I only own 2 QT films, KB1 and KB2 and I could easily live without them.

Before I went digital my 80’s movies used to take up an entire wall.

When I die I want to wake up in 77 and relive 77-89.

I don’t need to relive QT movies.

Last edited:
Kill Bill is probably my least liked QT movie(s) - though I actually haven't watched Reservoir Dogs since I first saw it - not fond of the torture scene. The rest are highly watchable to me. Pulp Fiction remains a classic.

77-89 especially action, sci-fi, horror and comedy (not so much drama or thrillers) gave me movies that I will rewatch my entire life.

QT films while entertaining were all one and done for me.

Hell I will rewatch Commando before I rewatch a QT film lol

Last edited:
I own a lot of movies and no QT movies for me. Was always way too much talky for me. Pulp Fiction is a classic though. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and Django are my favorite movies of his.

By no means am I saying his movies are bad most are obviously well made just not what I consider must own movies that I feel compelled to revisit although I have watched PF and RD twice and KB three times.

I do love the RD waitress tips back and forth and SLJ and Travolta were amazing together.

My top 3 QT films in no particular order are Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill (both volumes) and Once Upon A Time In Hollywood. The rest have entertained me to varying degrees but haven't really stayed with me in any way.

Were I to choose just one I guess it'd have to be Pulp Fiction. I'd group it with Fight Club and Trainspotting in my head .. so ...
  • 1994 Pulp Fiction
  • 1996 Trainspotting
  • 1999 Fight Club
... those 3 films kinda defined my '90s in a very broad sense. But then I'd have to add in the genre films:
  • 1992 Batman Returns
  • 1994 Pulp Fiction
  • 1994 The Crow
  • 1996 Trainspotting
  • 1999 Fight Club
  • 1999 The Matrix
That's kind of how the '90s feels to me, in my nostalgia-addled brain. Sure there was a bunch of other stuff but I can't bring anything else immediately to mind.

*edit: there are one-sixth scale figures for all but one of those films.

I really like how tarantino brings out performances from actors like Christoph Waltz. My favourite would have to be kill bill though, the feel and tone just resonates for me

The only QT films worth a damn are Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs.

The rest of his films are bad homage to a terrible genre of filmmaking.

His films are like a child’s version of an action film.....

77-89 especially action, sci-fi, horror and comedy (not so much drama or thrillers) gave me movies that I will rewatch my entire life.

QT films while entertaining were all one and done for me.

Hell I will rewatch Commando before I rewatch a QT film lol
Oh man... One and done.. Jye! WTF! :lol

But I get you with the 77 - 89 thing.. Though I would probably say 75 - 85
The only QT films worth a damn are Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs.

The rest of his films are bad homage to a terrible genre of filmmaking.

His films are like a child’s version of an action film.....

I really like to love most of his films.

Great QT
Pulp Fiction
Hateful Eight
Django

Good QT
Jackie Brown
Reservoir Dogs

OK QT
Kill Bill Vol 2
Once Upon a time in Hollywood
Inglorious Bastards

Bad QT
Kill Bill Vol 1
Death Proof

having said that.. I can still easily watch OK and Bad QT films.

Oh Ducky Ducky Ducky... Such a lost sole. ;)

1982 alone probably kills any given year from the late 00s or 2010's

1. The Thing
2. Blade Runner
3. First Blood
4. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
5. Poltergeist
6. E.T. The Extra Terrestrial
7. Conan the Barbarian
8. The Dark Crystal
9. Tron
10. Rocky III

1980 had

1. The Empire Strikes Back
2. The Shining
3. Raging Bull
4. The Elephant Man
5. Airplane
6. The Blues Brothers
7. Superman 2
8. Caddyshack

1981 had

1. Raiders of the Lost Ark
2. An American Werewolf in London
3. The Evil Dead
4. The Road Warrior
5. Stripes

1. Scarface
2. Vacation
3. Return of the Jedi

1. The Terminator
2. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
3. Ghostbusters
4. Once upon a Time in America
5. A Nightmare on Elm Street
6. Amadeus
7. This is Spinal Tap
8. Gremlins
9. The Natural

Of course these list don't count all the films that I think should be on there.. I tried to go with the ones that are Universally considered good to great or having a big impact on future filmmakers and film goers

Now from 1985 on.. Things get a little dark and are more in line of what QT was probably talking about.

Of course there were great films made during that time period also but they look more like 1983 than 1982, 80, and 84
A lot of those you listed are crap and/or overrated.

Oh man... One and done.. Jye! WTF! :lol

But I get you with the 77 - 89 thing.. Though I would probably say 75 - 85

I really like to love most of his films.

Great QT
Pulp Fiction
Hateful Eight
Django

Good QT
Jackie Brown
Reservoir Dogs

OK QT
Kill Bill Vol 2
Once Upon a time in Hollywood
Inglorious Bastards

Bad QT
Kill Bill Vol 1
Death Proof

having said that.. I can still easily watch OK and Bad QT films.
I guess I need to watch the extended cut of H8 only watched the regular version.

Did you watch both.

Back