Prime 1 Big Game Jungle Hunter Predator 1/4

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree. Focal length is always going to play a massive role and strong, single-point lighting can be used to simulate the appearance of gloss on surfaces that are satin at best. And we know that reflective surfaces can help to enhance the depth of both color and sculpt, which is why the dull environment for the photo on the right makes the entire thing look ugly.

Some screenshots from Leo's videos for those who can't open them:

leoleungpiccollage.png

Either there's still some color grading happening here or his studio lights are extremely cool by nature, but it's a more neutral look than the photos. No crazy contrast settings or texture enhancements.

Fingers crossed for the collector who took all those City Hunter shots to buy this one as well. He'd provide clean photos in a completely normal room. Until then, this may be the closest we've gotten:

177140626_919274795537300_5594564362278896004_n.jpg

Last edited:
I think you nailed it Python. Both are basically complete opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to pictures. One is awful, one looks great due to edited. We will get something in the middle, which is was worries me. I truly believe it should be no less then the videos we saw

I agree. Focal length is always going to play a massive role and strong, single-point lighting can be used to simulate the appearance of gloss on surfaces that are satin at best. And we know that reflective surfaces can help to enhance the depth of both color and sculpt, which is why the dull environment for the photo on the right makes the entire thing look ugly.

Some screenshots from Leo's videos for those who can't open them:

leoleungpiccollage.png

Either there's still some color grading happening here or his studio lights are extremely cool by nature, but it's a more neutral look than the photos. No crazy contrast settings or texture enhancements.

Fingers crossed for the collector who took all those City Hunter shots to buy this one as well. He'd provide clean photos in a completely normal room. Until then, this may be the closest we've gotten:

177140626_919274795537300_5594564362278896004_n.jpg

It does not look to be edited. I am liking what I am seeing in those actually good photos and videos. Fingers crossed.

It does not look to be edited. I am liking what I am seeing in those actually good photos and videos. Fingers crossed.

Agreed. The photos have had hues and black levels adjusted, but it's not some attempt to fool the viewer. lol. That's standard photography post-production. Looking at the videos, they show the same level of detail and coloration to the statue.

It comes down to lighting and display. The best statue could look like crap in a room with terrible lighting and bad photography.

Batman statue collector uploaded Leo's videos and said "if you want to order this the link is in the description and it helps support this channel" um lol .
Here's the link, I hope the JH looks great I really do but I think p1 is trying to have some positive material quick.

https://youtu.be/Yz76SM8f-cE

Batman statue collector uploaded Leo's videos and said "if you want to order this the link is in the description and it helps support this channel" um lol .
Here's the link, I hope the JH looks great I really do but I think p1 is trying to have some positive material quick.

https://youtu.be/Yz76SM8f-cE

Definitely sus. Again, ill be holding onto my P.O until this thing is ready to ship. Will decide definitively then on whether or not this will be worth close to $3Kusd

It comes down to lighting and display. The best statue could look like crap in a room with terrible lighting and bad photography.

I don't deny that the environment affects how we perceive the quality of a collectible, but I do believe that if the statue is inherently excellent, that excellence will come through more easily in a variety of setups.

If this thing was a home run, Leo's photos should floor me. But even in his best image -- the one with the closed-mouth sculpt -- I can still see that the black spots on the legs are huge and sparse, almost more like polka dots. The gaps between each spot are so large you could paint additional spots yourself to recreate the proper density.

If an experienced photographer can only make this thing look good and not great, the issue lies with the statue. I look forward to seeing more images as always, but I agree with Python in that I don't think there are many surprises left. This isn't going to do a complete 180.

Part of me thinks seeing the really crappy images first has primed (no pun intended) many collectors into accepting a statue that is merely so-so, because seeing anything even remotely better afterwards will feel like a relief to them. I fear we were advertised a 10/10, shown a 4/10 to drive expectations into the ground, and will receive a 6/10 which we're expected to perceive as a miraculous turnaround.

I don't deny that the environment affects how we perceive the quality of a collectible, but I do believe that if the statue is inherently excellent, that excellence will come through more easily in a variety of setups.

If this thing was a home run, Leo's photos should floor me. But even in his best image -- the one with the closed-mouth sculpt -- I can still see that the black spots on the legs are huge and sparse, almost more like polka dots. The gaps between each spot are so large you could paint additional spots yourself to recreate the proper density.

If an experienced photographer can only make this thing look good and not great, the issue lies with the statue. I look forward to seeing more images as always, but I agree with Python in that I don't think there are many surprises left. This isn't going to do a complete 180.

Part of me thinks seeing the really crappy images first has primed (no pun intended) many collectors into accepting a statue that is merely so-so, because seeing anything even remotely better afterwards will feel like a relief to them. I fear we were advertised a 10/10, shown a 4/10 to drive expectations into the ground, and will receive a 6/10 which we're expected to perceive as a miraculous turnaround.

I think that collecting has changed a bit too. Look at how so many people go crazy for mythos pieces. And so many people even consider films like ALIEN to be boring now. I think a lot of people are just content with having a predator statue, and they don't really care as much as some on if it is accurate or if it looks as good as it should. And when you point out issues the problem is no longer the statue it becomes the person pointing out the issues. So people vilify them.
I think praise is good when it is due and critiques are good when needed. This piece absolutely needs the criticism. And I think p1 may be rushing atm to pick up slack.

Very true, especially the bit about Mythos pieces. Enough casual fans have joined the fold that Sideshow can afford to put out subpar or inaccurate products and still make it work. It's the Funko effect. People don't need "the" Alien, they just want "an" Alien. And as long as what you're selling is better than a Funko (which is still immensely popular), they can't distinguish between "good" and "great." It's all equally impressive stuff.

I so wish Prime 1 tackled these licenses when they were smaller. Complacency is a killer and that's what you develop when you're on top.

Very true, especially the bit about Mythos pieces. Enough casual fans have joined the fold that Sideshow can afford to put out subpar or inaccurate products and still make it work. It's the Funko effect. People don't need "the" Alien, they just want "an" Alien. And as long as what you're selling is better than a Funko (which is still immensely popular), they can't distinguish between "good" and "great." It's all equally impressive stuff.

I so wish Prime 1 tackled these licenses when they were smaller. Complacency is a killer and that's what you develop when you're on top.

Sadly all Predator and Alien licenses are said to be some of the most expensive ones out there. And now with Disney having a thump on it, we should just call ourselves lucky to get at least these.

Just watched all of those videos, I appreciate the effort whoever made them. They show it off much better and have put my mind about a couple of things at rest. I will say that it sadly hasn't lived up to the kind of paint quality that I was hoping for and expecting tbh. Some of it, the spotting on the legs for example is no better than Sideshow would offer. The level of disapointment were seeing here for a pretty awesome statue isn't just us "picky Predator collectors" at it again. It's mostly Prime 1's fault for having such high standards for so many years and creating a certain level of expectation for themselves, they have started slipping a bit recently, while our expectations for them are still very high. But even with less than stellar paint, it is still right up there as one of the best mass produced Predator statues we've ever seen. It isn't the train wreck that we all feared it might be after the first images. It just isn't proto quality like some of their other products either. I plan to keep my order locked in unless they screw us with the shipping costs.

Here?s the kicker with all of this.

Regardless if it?s still ?one of the best? , but still subpar or average, we are paying a lot of money for a small statue. We *should* be getting proto or better.

However this turns out in the end, one thing is clear : we are all overpaying drastically and Prime 1 will now be a ?suspect? manufacturer where I, and many others, will hesitate before purchasing another one of their products.

If they don?t care about this... Ok.... but if they do care about it, then they better get their s*it together.

Edit: case in point , has anyone took a good look at the Movie mask? Look at those eyes... just simple grey. Looks like they forgot to paint it. Where?s the black covering ?

Well we all think we pay a fortune for these statues. And we do. However if these were fully done not in China and Japan it would cost 5 times the price we are currently paying. There is a reason when companies make their own here I the states it is 2 or 3 times the cost for less or the same work.

Wait, the mythos pieces are popular? I had no idea (seriously).

Wait, the mythos pieces are popular? I had no idea (seriously).

The orange Warrior is a hard sell due to the ridiculous price, but the others don't draw that much criticism on social media. Those of us on SSF and StatueForum who tear them apart? We're in the minority.

Back