Premium Format Slave Leia - Image Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright, just because good enough isn't, and I totally get that, I went ahead and gave the eyeliner a once over to make it less dramatic, lightened the lips a bit, and lightened the hair quite a bit. So now what have you got to say about it?

01.jpg

WOW! Excellent job! :clap:clap:clap

Did you air-brush or dry-brush the hair? What type & brand of paint did you use?

I know. I have spent so much more time looking at mine after the repaint than I did when it was fresh out of the box that when I see pics of the Sideshow paint apps again, it's shockingly bad, especially the way mine looked.

Hey Silent, what brand paint did you use and was it enamel or acrylic?

I use Folk Art latex acrylic paints found at Michaels. You get a lot for little $, the bottles last for a long time, they all mix with eachother on a pallet or in another bottle, and you can brush or air brush with them. They have every color imaginable if your store carries a good enough selection, even matellics.

The hair was dry brushed with increasingly lighter shades of brown trying to go along the sculpted lines of the hair, then washed with increasingly blacker mixes of dark brown, going heavier in strategic areas.

Hey Silent, you should be sending these pictures off to Sideshow to show them how it should be done in the first place. You might even get a job there, you're technique in paint apps is a damn sight better than the lazy ass that did the original!:D
I hope Sideshow get quite embarrassed if they see this to show the low quality of work that is going into these pieces right now.

You know, that thought has occured to me with this figure also. I've asked them a couple times for a job, but they never reply. Maybe I'll show them these pics.

Good job on the touch ups Silent. I still don't think she's in desperate need of a repaint, but you did a great job nonetheless.

Also I took pics of what's under her skirt, so if anyone wants to see them just PM me. ;) I would have posted them in here but I don't wanna cause any trouble. :monkey3

If you wanted a job painting statues for Sideshow you'll probably have to move to southeast Asia and get paid 2 bucks an hour.
-theropod

That explains the quality then doesn't it!?
But look at it this way, at least the cost of living is cheap. If Silent moves over there to work we get better quality statues and he gets to live a very
inexpensive life!
That way we can all be happy!:D

I know. I have spent so much more time looking at mine after the repaint than I did when it was fresh out of the box that when I see pics of the Sideshow paint apps again, it's shockingly bad, especially the way mine looked.

I use Folk Art latex acrylic paints found at Michaels. You get a lot for little $, the bottles last for a long time, they all mix with eachother on a pallet or in another bottle, and you can brush or air brush with them. They have every color imaginable if your store carries a good enough selection, even matellics.

The hair was dry brushed with increasingly lighter shades of brown trying to go along the sculpted lines of the hair, then washed with increasingly blacker mixes of dark brown, going heavier in strategic areas.

I'll have to check that paint out.

In the past I've used Badger's Freak Flex acrylic paints but they're hard to find here in the mid-west.

THanks for the info! :D

You guys make my day with all the compliments. Thanks. I love to share my work with you.

I certainly don't want to move to Asia, but I'd love to be one of the guys that paints the prototypes. But then again, everybody might just be even more disappointed with the production pics. As much as I would like a job on the inside of this business, maybe it's only fun if I don't have to do it day in and day out.

There's no reason a 1/4 scale figure from a company like SSC shouldn't be up to par with the paint apps of other companies' 1/6 scale figures.

All too true. If they don't start putting out quality sculpts with realistic looking features such as HotToys and Enterbay are doing then the PF line shouldn't be called "premium" anymore, maybe mediocre format is a better term.

Back