Pixar's WALL-E

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really liked Ratatouille... Its still in my top grouping.

And for Cars, the only reason I watched it was at the time the place I was staying the cable was out and that was the only movie available I hadn't seen. It wasn't nearly as bad as I expected, and was actually pretty fun.

Cars is not a bad movie by any means - still at the top of most animated films. But when compared to other Pixar films it's not their best work, (IMHO).

This is hard:

Incredibles
Toy Story 2
WALL-E
Monsters Inc.
Ratatouille
Toy Story
Finding Nemo
Cars
A Bug's Life

I loved Toy Story 2 much more than the first. If the "When She Loved Me" song/sequence doesn't give you a lump in your throat, then you have a heart of stone. They took the established "living toy" context and pulled in a whole range of adult emotions and experiences for the older audience members to connect with in a way that surpasses the first film.

Cars commits the cardinal sin of being predictable. I knew exactly what was going to happen the whole time, with no plot surprises whatsoever. It was obvious--something unusual for Pixar.

Here's how my love for Pixar flicks stacks up :
  1. WALL-E (Hands down my all time favorite)
  2. Ratatouille (I got mad love for it Dave!)
  3. Toy Story 2
  4. Monster's Inc.
  5. The Incredibles
  6. Toy Story
  7. Finding Nemo
  8. Cars
  9. A Bug's Life

I loved Toy Story 2 much more than the first. If the "When She Loved Me" song/sequence doesn't give you a lump in your throat, then you have a heart of stone. They took the established "living toy" context and pulled in a whole range of adult emotions and experiences for the older audience members to connect with in a way that surpasses the first film...
I totally agree that '2' was superior to Toy Story, that sequence alone vaults it past the first, very touching.

Cars commits the cardinal sin of being predictable. I knew exactly what was going to happen the whole time, with no plot surprises whatsoever. It was obvious--something unusual for Pixar.

Thats what I think hurts it the most... also, the characters felt much more commercial than the previous films. It was almost if it was more influenced by attracting the most fans rather than the creative process.

Thats what I think hurts it the most... also, the characters felt much more commercial than the previous films. It was almost if it was more influenced by attracting the most fans rather than the creative process.

That's almost George Lucasish in its logic....

I loved Toy Story 2 much more than the first. If the "When She Loved Me" song/sequence doesn't give you a lump in your throat, then you have a heart of stone. They took the established "living toy" context and pulled in a whole range of adult emotions and experiences for the older audience members to connect with in a way that surpasses the first film.

I don't mean to derail this thread again with TS2 but it's funny how people remember different parts of movies. This scene is touching and Jessie and the prospector are great characters.

My problem is I only remember the atrocious Zurg character, the cliche toy collector, and the "I am your father" scenes. These things were just too Straight-to-video IMO and it really just cheapened the first movie for me.

The first movie was great and everyone lived happily ever after. Leave it at that.

But everyone has their opinion and I don't want to force anyone to see my way. :banana:chew

I'm a little surprised at the lack of love for Ratatouille though - from an artistic standpoint it really broke away from the pack and was funny and poignant as well.

Not necessarily a lack of love, it's just that when one does a rank order, turns out there are some films that grab at a certain place in one's insides and any thought about technical quality gives way to the emotional impact. Although I must admit that the critic's speech at the end made me puddle up (but then, I cry at commercials so I'm no real gauge on this stuff).

But, let's face it. Any other animated film is just a pale shadow when compared to even the lowest-ranked Pixar piece.

I see picking the best Pixar movie like picking the best Bond film. There are too many great films. I can't wait for John Carter of Mars. It's like Pixar doing Star Wars.
My favorite is the Incredibles but movies like Bugs Life, Toy Story 2, Ratatouille, Finding Nemo and Wall-E cannot be put in second place with a clear conscience. I don't think there can be a clear cut winner.

I don't mean to derail this thread again with TS2 but it's funny how people remember different parts of movies. This scene is touching and Jessie and the prospector are great characters.

My problem is I only remember the atrocious Zurg character, the cliche toy collector, and the "I am your father" scenes. These things were just too Straight-to-video IMO and it really just cheapened the first movie for me.

The first movie was great and everyone lived happily ever after. Leave it at that.

But everyone has their opinion and I don't want to force anyone to see my way. :banana:chew

See I also loved all those parts - especially the Zurg stuff. Makes me giggle every time. The cliché toy collector is perfect for the role - if you don't think that people like that exist, try answering the phones in Sideshow's customer service department for a day ;)

But yep, it's weird how different people like different things - and always will!

As for Ratatouille - I don't know, just don't like it very much. Will never own it or probably watch it again. Didn't connect with me for some reason - I found the main rat incredibly annoying, and it was almost too... busy?... artistically. It's definitely way better than most everyday animated fare, but not my cup of tea.

As for Ratatouille - I don't know, just don't like it very much. Will never own it or probably watch it again. Didn't connect with me for some reason - I found the main rat incredibly annoying, and it was almost too... busy?... artistically. It's definitely way better than most everyday animated fare, but not my cup of tea.
You are...crazy. Ratatouille is a Masterpiece, 'Nuff Said.

WALL-E looks like a rip-off of Number 5.:D

He is very similar indeed... you can tell they had him in mind. But his execution is very different so I never felt like it was a rip-off, but did make him easy to identify with as a child of the 80s.

See I also loved all those parts - especially the Zurg stuff. Makes me giggle every time. The cliché toy collector is perfect for the role - if you don't think that people like that exist, try answering the phones in Sideshow's customer service department for a day ;)

You know you should have a booth set up at the con for people to answer customer service calls. Call it, "Step into our shoes" or something like that. I will gladly talk to and make fun of whiny fanboys who got a less than perfect product box.(Or deal with them in a respectful manner and make fun of them later while getting drunk at a bar, as I assume the custom is at Sideshow.)

Someone take me to the theaters to see Wall-E when I visit the states in a couple of weeks. It doesn't premiere until late August over here.

And I want Incredibles 2 one day...

You know you should have a booth set up at the con for people to answer customer service calls. Call it, "Step into our shoes" or something like that. I will gladly talk to and make fun of whiny fanboys who got a less than perfect product box.(Or deal with them in a respectful manner and make fun of them later while getting drunk at a bar, as I assume the custom is at Sideshow.)

:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl I wouldn't be suprised if that was true. If that was me, I would surely do that at a bar; probably on the phone with them too.

Back