Pinhead Project - Update 6/26 - Fingers crossed

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Pinhead Project - UPDATE Pg.14

Interested to see how this turns out.
Sounds horrible stuff to work with.
Whats the shelf life of the rubber, will it break down over time?

It's not that horrible. Just requires a lot of proper planning from the beginning of the sculpt. The new mold has proper draining for the arms. I am experimenting with two types of rubber. One is a liquid latex RD405. This is the type of rubber used to make things like Halloween masks and batman cowls. Interestingly enough this is also the lower cost option. The other is a urethane rubber from smooth-on. It's more expensive and my "plan B" so I can keep the cost of the outfit down.

The outfit is still in progress. This has been a lot of trial and error since this has been my first try at casting a body suit. The mold I had before just isn't going to work. The rubber outfit looks great when cast but because of the way the sculpt was made there have been a lot of issues when getting it onto the figures body. When the arms are angled down.....or in any direction other then straight out, like the mold, the neck collar is pulled and distorted. Also, I found when putting the arms straight down the sleeves at the wrist get pulled up the arm creating a little visible space on the lower wrist.

So, where am I now? At the bottom of a bottle of rum........j/k.....well kinda, lol

What I decided was that the mold needed to be reworked and I spent to much time trying to make the old mold work without distorting the details and that just wasn't working. So I made a mold of the figures body with the arms angled down by the side (how it should have been done in the first place) and I am using the old mold to get impressions of the original sculpt and apply it to the new body cast.

It is almost done and ready to be molded again. I'll be fixing up the shoulders and the arms this weekend.

Re: Pinhead Project - UPDATE Pg.15- Getting back on track

Hi all, just wanted to post a quick update. I'm finally back on track with the outfit. The past few months have been crazy and finding time to work on this was difficult. Here is a pic of the sculpt.

outfit10.jpg

I made a cast of the figure body with the arms down so when casting the outfit it will reduce the tension pull on the neck and shoulders when repositioning the arms. I still need to fix some of the detail on the back and fix some detail on the front that was damaged/distorted (will be doing that this weekend) then it will be ready for molding again. I'll post another pic this weekend when the back is done.

Hi all, just wanted to post a quick update. I'm finally back on track with the outfit. The past few months have been crazy and finding time to work on this was difficult. Here is a pic of the sculpt.

outfit10.jpg

I made a cast of the figure body with the arms down so when casting the outfit it will reduce the tension pull on the neck and shoulders when repositioning the arms. I still need to fix some of the detail on the back and fix some detail on the front that was damaged/distorted (will be doing that this weekend) then it will be ready for molding again. I'll post another pic this weekend when the back is done.

WOW ThATS lOOKIN eXELLENT mARK - Caint wait for you to actully master this So i can own this amazing suit,

The only thing i see which may be a proplem is the size of this arms are on the big side ,we,ll need it so it clings vary tight to the truetype body.

keep chiping away at it buddy im more that sure with your dedication on this project thats you,ll crack it once done :wink1:

Thanks everyone! I wasn't able to get as much done this past weekend as I had originally planned but I've been working on it a little bit each day this past week and barring any unforeseen events I will be spending a lot of time trying to finish this up (again) this weekend.

@hotslayer - Thanks! This pic makes the whole thing look a little weird. The arms do look really thick and the waist looks curved inward. The arms are not as thick as they look in the pic. But I did put a layer of clay down before sculpting int the detail. I was worried that if I made it too tight then the lines for the joints might show through if it was too tight or if the cast was thick then the suit would be to thick at the joints and not hold certain positions....meaning, if you bent the arm the thickness at the joint would force the arm to go straight again.

My current plan of attack is to have a "little bit" of room between the figure body and the outfit to allow for a better range of motion and also reduce the detail in the outfit being stretched/distorted when repositioning the arms and shoulders.

This is just my current thought, I'm no expert and this has been all trial and error. I welcome any and all suggestions for improvement! Do you think with this being rubber (either latex or urethane) that it should be tighter against the body of the figure? Also, the RD407 latex rubber has a little bit of shrinkage to it as it dries, but urethane rubber does not.

Re: Pinhead Project - UPDATE 9/19 Pg.16 - Molding round 2 starting this weekend

Just wanted to post a quick pic.This was before the surrounding box was put together. I'll be molding the sculpt this weekend. I have some urethane rubber on order, just waiting for it to get here. I'll be molding the front and back in silicone rubber to be cast in the urethane rubber. Then I'm going to make another mold out of plaster to do some test castings with the left over latex rubber. Things should start moving quick again once the urethane gets here.

Thanks for looking and as always questions/comments are welcome!

newmold1.jpg

This Beauty as Certainly Been Long in the makeing - but certainly well worth the wait ;)

caint wait to get this outfit mark, good to see your back on track!

YES!!!...FINALLY!!!...can't wait to have this in my cabinet of 1980s horror!!!!...:)

Any chance I can get on the list I did get your pm but stupidly cleared my inbox and lost it :(

Sweet... btw, Spenser is now working on a Still Suit from Dune and it sounds like he figured out a good technique for these kind of suits. You might hit him up for any tips.

Thanks guys. I really appreciate all the kind words. I'm glad ur still excited for this. It has taken so much more time and resources than I thought it would.

@galacticboy - thanks! Ill definitely send him a pm. I would love to hear any tips on how to get this to turn out correctly.

Any chance I can get on the list I did get your pm but stupidly cleared my inbox and lost it :(

Sorry I didn't respond earlier. I was on my phone and typing quickly. Yes you can definitely be added to the list :)

Back