Pinhead Project - Update 6/26 - Fingers crossed

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Pinhead Project - UPDATE 2/24/2013 Pg.12 Casting Started

Are these available? If so Could you please put me down for a head cast and untainted suit? Thanks!

Not yet, but they will be soon. When they are available I'm going to make an interest/sale thread in the appropriate section. Keep an eye on this thread for updates :)

Re: Pinhead Project - UPDATE 2/24/2013 Pg.12 Casting Started

Yep, I pulled the first cast. There were two issues though. 1st, I used a thin coat of baby powder inside the mold before pouring the liquid rubber. This technique helps resin get "drawn" into the tight small crevasses of the mold. But, the baby powder had a weird reaction with the liquid rubber and caused some issues.

2nd, I got a little to excited to get it dried out faster so I could take it out. So I used a heat gun to speed up the cure time. Welp....it definitely sped up the dry time and burnt the rubber too.... DOH!!!:slap:slap:slap:slap

So, I have a new pour with the second layer drying now with no baby powder and no heat gun.

Here is a pic of the first pull that was burnt and had baby power in the mold. There are a few tears where the latex ripped and you can see some burn spots and the discoloration from the baby powder.

pull1.jpg

Re: Pinhead Project - UPDATE 3/3/2013 Pg.13

You have it with real wheathering :D Anyway, that is really cool! Now you have one bad piece and you can try it put it on body and twiching and other stuff without be scaried from damage it ;)

it defoinitely grabbed the detail in....CONGRATS!!...let me know if you want to give me that first one...just to keep as a keepsake...:)...i'm really not kidding...:)

At least you know it can work, now just a matter of dialing in your technique.

You have it with real wheathering :D Anyway, that is really cool! Now you have one bad piece and you can try it put it on body and twiching and other stuff without be scaried from damage it ;)

That is an excellent point! Thanks for suggesting it. I honestly was going to just trash it. I'll definitely use it for test fitting now though.

it defoinitely grabbed the detail in....CONGRATS!!...let me know if you want to give me that first one...just to keep as a keepsake...:)...i'm really not kidding...:)

lol Thanks levit. I was pretty mad at myself when I realized I burnt it. But over all I'm still excited b/c it looks like the mold got all the detail. Also, this thing is so rough looking in person that the only way it is leaving this house is cut up and in the trash (when I'm done using it for test fitting that is).

At least you know it can work, now just a matter of dialing in your technique.

Yea. I have another idea for the 3rd casting. I also think 2 layers is still too thin and the rips in the arms happened when I was pulling them out. For number 3 I think I'm going to go 4 layers.

BTW, I just pulled the 2nd casting and oh man.....it is leaps and bounds better than the first! Color looks great, no burnt spots. Detail is great. The only prob this time is some air bubble that got trapped at the bottom part of the outfit that distorted the bottom some and because it was only two layers it got two small rips. Tomorrow I'm going to try getting this in my pressure pot to remove all bubbles and go to 4 layers for added strength. It's a little wider than my pressure pot so I dunno if it will work, but its worth a shot.

I'll post pics tomorrow of the 2nd casting after I cut off the excess rubber.

Well, if you can't put mold to chamber, you can put in your mix of resin. Better than nothing.

Last edited:

Do you have some final photos of your new cast?=)

Hi elar,

test pull #3 went great and horrible, lol. It was great in that the thickness was MUCH better and the over all look of the outfit was good too. very minimal bubbles to deal with. The horrible part was the arms. I wasn't sure what happened at first but realized that after the first layer was dry and I was trying to make sure all of the air bubbles were out. I was squeezing the mold at the arms to force out the air and the air vents in the arms clogged up so the rubber never dried. When I pulled it out both arms were a mess. then when it did dry, from the forearms to the wrists were basically solid rubber.

So, to take care of the bubbles I just ordered a vacuum pump and will be doing a DIY vac chamber to suck out the bubbles from the rubber. I also have a new plan for casting to get the arms to dry evenly. For now I'm on hold until the vac pump arrives (3-5 business days).

This has been an interesting adventure. I can't help but think that somewhere pinhead is enjoying my pain.

Here's some pics of test 3. This was 4 layers thick which worked really good. Test 4 may go to 6 or 7 layers.

test3-1.jpg

test3-2.jpg

Re: Pinhead Project - UPDATE Pg.14

If you are selling please PM me. I would like to know more!!!

Re: Pinhead Project - UPDATE Pg.14

Hi riblets,

I have a head and box that is done a ready to ship if you are interested. Shoot me a pm if you are.

The outfit is not ready yet. I've been reworking the mold because no matter how much I rotated the mold I was still getting too much build up in the arms. I made a lot of progress this weekend and I should be able to do a cast within the next week or two.

Back