Oppenheimer

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He looks sad

Nothing strange about that. These ppl knew stuff the rest of us dont know, and Id imagine a lot of it was scary knowledge.

Part of me is like, how interesting can this really be?! And part is wanting to see it just for the sake of nerding out.

Also, how can a film about scientists discussing the a-bomb possibly need an R rating? Guess we'll find out.

Last edited:
Yeah but it's Christopher Nolan, I've not seen a bad film he's done. If he says he can do a 3hr R rated flick about the atom bomb, I believe him!

Nothing strange about that. These ppl knew stuff the rest of us dont know, and Id imagine a lot of it was scary knowledge.

Part of me is like, how interesting can this really be?! And part is wanting to see it just for the sake of nerding out.

Also, how can a film about scientists discussing the a-bomb possibly need an R rating? Guess we'll find out.

One of the few things that's sorta throwing me off, as 'silly' as this may sound, is that Iron Man and Yelena are going to show up in the film. I'll just expect them to suit up and start punching bad guys :lol But for me seeing the respective actors portraying superheroes makes me see them ONLY as the superheroes they portray and find it a bit jarring watching them in other movies. :lol

Taken from the other thread :lol

T7e4MNS.jpg

One of the few things that's sorta throwing me off, as 'silly' as this may sound, is that Iron Man and Yelena are going to show up in the film. I'll just expect them to suit up and start punching bad guys :lol But for me seeing the respective actors portraying superheroes makes me see them ONLY as the superheroes they portray and find it a bit jarring watching them in other movies. :lol
I'd like you to meet my doctor:
Doogie.jpg

Yeah but it's Christopher Nolan, I've not seen a bad film he's done. If he says he can do a 3hr R rated flick about the atom bomb, I believe him!

I have a lot of love in my heart for the Harry Potter books. I really loved the first four novels. Goblet of Fire IMHO was a bit long, but the storytelling was still very good and tightly focused. However in the last three books, I felt JK Rowling was so successful, that she pushed past the practical need for an editor. The last three novels lacked much of the tight controlled focus that the earlier books had in spades. I felt it hurt the story overall and eventually the films.

Now people can disagree or agree on that, but my general concern with Nolan is that he's been so successful, for so long, with big blockbusters, that there are no more external guardrails that might have reigned in his possible not so great instincts in his earlier works. The clear audio problems is a troubling sign. I've met very few people that could discern the dialogue clearly on first viewing of Tenet. But maybe that's just too small a sample size overall.

M. Night Shamalyan could write his own ticket in Hollywood for a while. Then he made a film where Marky Mark was running from the invisible wind that might kill the entire human race. Full creative control is like a bomb. You might explode what you need to blow up. Or you might also incinerate yourself too.

But here's hoping Oppenheimer is great. And if this does well, maybe this opens up more leading man roles for Cillian Murphy, who I find to be a really damn good actor.

I have a lot of love in my heart for the Harry Potter books. I really loved the first four novels. Goblet of Fire IMHO was a bit long, but the storytelling was still very good and tightly focused. However in the last three books, I felt JK Rowling was so successful, that she pushed past the practical need for an editor. The last three novels lacked much of the tight controlled focus that the earlier books had in spades. I felt it hurt the story overall and eventually the films.

Now people can disagree or agree on that, but my general concern with Nolan is that he's been so successful, for so long, with big blockbusters, that there are no more external guardrails that might have reigned in his possible not so great instincts in his earlier works. The clear audio problems is a troubling sign. I've met very few people that could discern the dialogue clearly on first viewing of Tenet. But maybe that's just too small a sample size overall.

M. Night Shamalyan could write his own ticket in Hollywood for a while. Then he made a film where Marky Mark was running from the invisible wind that might kill the entire human race. Full creative control is like a bomb. You might explode what you need to blow up. Or you might also incinerate yourself too.

But here's hoping Oppenheimer is great. And if this does well, maybe this opens up more leading man roles for Cillian Murphy, who I find to be a really damn good actor.
All very good points, and I fully understand your doubts.

However, I'm happy to keep buying into the hype until proved otherwise. Nolan has his detractors and some people dislike him irrationally (not saying you are one of those). Just for me, I've yet to be let down by something he's done, so I have nothing to inform me that it won't be a good film

I'm with Meathook...

Nolan is not doubt one of the best, but the more power he's gained the more self-indulgent he's become, and for me, less engaging.

I'm curiously optimistic about Oppenheimer, but well and truly keeping any expectations in place. Saying that, I do like the trailer, so fingers crossed.

All very good points, and I fully understand your doubts.

However, I'm happy to keep buying into the hype until proved otherwise. Nolan has his detractors and some people dislike him irrationally (not saying you are one of those). Just for me, I've yet to be let down by something he's done, so I have nothing to inform me that it won't be a good film

He gives spectacle, I'll give him that, which is great for those who want to have the most immersive big screen experience possible.

Here's a thought. I'd be curious what he could do with a purely no dialogue film. Something in the vein of the opening of Riddick ( I don't think there was very much talking at all in the first 15 or so minutes) or Tartakovsky's Primal but nothing but sound effects and score.

IMHO lots of people were happy with the sparse talking in Dunkirk, etc, etc.

He's a risk taker, which I think is great. If there's one major criticism of the MCU and films as such now, it's that they hit a checklist and formula and have become somewhat predictable.

At least we know why it's R rated (actually this means a 15 certificate in the UK) - there is full prolonged nudity. Give it a Google if you want more info, I refrained from posting links in case anyone wanted to be completely spoiler free

This thing is getting insane early review buzz, but I'm hesitant as a lot of them are goggle-eyed Nolan fanatics.

But, by all accounts, it looks like it will be a quality film.

Back