Ok, Sideshow is disappointing

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The reason we didn't see any Bond, POTA or Universal Monsters is because those lines have pretty much run their course. Time to move on to greener pastures.

As for Giles, you got me there. I can't imagine what the hold up is on that one.

@ captain sack
I agree with you 100%. Compared to other companies, Sideshow really outdoes itself when it comes to satisfying their customers. Almost all of their products are amazing, especially the 12" lines (compare their quality to that of other companies). I hope sideshow will continue with the 12" line for SW and LOTR because regardless of what character is next, I am sure it will be as great as all the previous ones.
And I also hope that they'll pick up the Matrix line :D

As a collector, I'm very excited by many of the new offerings this year. As a customizer, I'm also a little frustrated as many of the offerings were 1/6th figures I was planning to build myself.

Perfect or not, you really can't beat Sideshow for the price (in the 1/6th scale arena).

But I am disappointed to see no more Connery era Bond characters.

Ironman1188 said:
Sure, Han looks good, Mace, Ani, Kit and Obi-Wan look great. The Terminators are sure to please, LOTR 12" look ok. Angel is on the way. They're distributing HotToys Predators and Aliens and Rambo. They are bringing us Medicom's Marvel 1:6 but there are some big disappointments:
No Bond?
No Universal Monsters?
No Planet of the Apes?
NO Giles!!!!
I don't want to seem ungrateful, there is a plethora of wonderful "new" product from "new" licenses on the way. And, as I suspected old licenses are falling to the wayside.
I love that they are offering fantastic Star Wars figures, and I know that they won't suffer too much from so many coming so quickly, but can't we get some closure on the older lines? With some requested figures at a bit more affordable pricepoints?
I know ToyFair isn't over yet, but will we see more unveiled or have we seen all that is coming?
I'm really torn. i love all that I see is coming but am so very disappointed by what is not. :(

The big decision this year is that Sideshow wants to keep going with exciting previews and pre-orders throughout the entire year, rather than just concentrating on Toy Fair and Comic Con. So don't despair, Toy Fair may not the be-all, end-all announcement extravaganza like it has been in years past, but we think there's a lot of good stuff from a very wide variety of licenses being offered this year and are more than pleased with the overwhelmingly positive reception from online and at Toy Fair itself :duff

Last edited:
Well as a huge Buffy fan I'm of course disappointed that we don't yet have our Giles. But I know we'll get him, hopefully sooner than later. But, I'm very pleased to see Sideshow expanding the Buffyverse with it's new Buffy PF figure. This isn't something that I personally will be collecting because they are just too expensive for me but I know a lot of fans were eager to see PF figures for this line.

And we just got our new Angel announced too. I ordered the new Angel, both the Darla's and D'Hoffryn so my credit card is going to be hurting if they all ship out at once. I can be patient, and would actually prefer not to get bombarded with a bunch of new figures all at once. That happened to me when they released Vamp Spike, the two prophecy girl Buffys and Willow all within weeks and days of each other. At that time I was also buying for my two daughters as well so you can imagine that credit card bill.

I'd be more upset if this ToyFair came and went and we had no new Buffyverse figure at all. This at least shows me that the line is going well and Sideshow has confidence in it.

Morgan the Raider said:
Personally, I don't think Sideshow is doing a great job for their fans anymore. They've cast out all of their old fans from their classic lines to pick up the mainstream Star Wars collector.

While I understand their business motives, to make as much money as possible, they shouldn't completely shun their older fans. That's my bone of contention. There's a possible happy medium. Plus, the Bond line always seemed to sell pretty well. Not the best, but certainly not the worst. Where are the Buffy items too? That's a line that put them on the map! How about Universal Monsters. One release a year seems to be a good year now.

It's not cool and that's how I feel.

Your kidding right? A lot of their older fans are SW fans also so I don't think they are shunning the older fans off. As for Buffy we just got a new Angel 1/6 and a Buffy 1/4, as for Giles I bet we see him this year.
And milking SW? SW fans are screaming for more now, so if they are milking it they aren't milking it enough.
And Sideshow is actually keeping the 1/6 market alive right now with all they are doing.

You know guys they do release stuff every other week it seems so just because you dont see it this week don't mean you aren't going to see it next week or the next.

Morgan the Raider said:
They said there'd be a Bond product at Toy Fair. Obviously that's not the case. Not even a word thus far. At least that's been reported here.

Just gotta address this really quick: there was never any promise of Bond AT Toy Fair. There was promise that more Bond would be coming and that the Bond line is definitely not dead. Which is the truth! I just don't understand where this "everything that's going to be released this year has got to show at Toy Fair" mentality is coming from - it's only February! :confused:

Last edited:
My response is that you can't please everyone. There will always be squeaky wheels regardless of the route being taken.

I would say the majority are happy with this company.

The way some rant and complain with talk of "we are shareholders" and other proclaimed injustices amazes me..

Ironman1188 said:
Sure, Han looks good, Mace, Ani, Kit and Obi-Wan look great. The Terminators are sure to please, LOTR 12" look ok. Angel is on the way. They're distributing HotToys Predators and Aliens and Rambo. They are bringing us Medicom's Marvel 1:6 but there are some big disappointments:
No Bond?
No Universal Monsters?
No Planet of the Apes?
NO Giles!!!!

If you are seriously expecting more POTA, then you need a reality check.:banghead

I don't find TF to be disappointing at all. Lots of cool stuff and like Dusty said there are still 10 full months left in the year. Patience people. Good things come to those that wait.

I think some people are setting themselves up for disappointment because of their own unreasonable expectations. There are no entitlements, Sideshow has never guaranteed that every figure from every license will be produced.

As far a Toy Fair is concerned, it's a show aimed at wholesalers and retailers, and product attractive to the mainstream market is more likely to be marketed there. John Wayne, Scarface, R. Lee Ermey, Terminator, Jaws, and yes, even the semi-deformed Star Wars figures are exactly the right kind of products to showcase.

I understand it's disappointing when a favorite license is on the wane. I've been on board with Sideshow since Monster Mountain and the 8" Universal Monsters Action Figures. Do I want Ygor, Maleva, Dr. Pretorious, and other characters? Of course. I'm a big Buffy fan. Do I want Anyanka, The Judge, Wishverse Buffy, and a dozen more monsters and demons? Absolutely. More Twilight Zone figures? Yes, please. Outer Limits? Gimme. But to blame Star Wars and LotR for diverting resources away from your favorite licenses is to be unconsciously foolish. If anything these lines are increasing Sideshow's profile in the toy market and bringing in a slew of new customers anxious to part with their money. This can only be a good thing for every license. Even this board has enjoyed a surge in membership since those lines were announced.

When a license is played out, I move on. Now, I'm a bit different than a lot of people on the board who are primarily 1:6 collectors; I collect a variety of genres and styles and I can get my monster fix through books, DVDs, block figures, tin signs, plushes, model kits, etc.

As someone above said (Capt. Sack?), with the variety and quality of product being offered from so many manufactors, this is an amazing time to be a collector. To be asking in the middle of February, "Where's all the good stuff?" is just beyond my comprehension.

wvb.jpg

I'm glad Sideshow doesn't dump an entire year's worth of stuff on us at once. I would rather have ongoing announcements from month to month.

I've followed Sideshow when they first came out with their 8" line of Monsters and they have produced lots of stuff I want and some I many not want, but others may. I remember a year where there was hardly any 1/6th stuff and ones like now were we have a whole slew of awesome stuff.

Star Wars and LOTR are also brining in new fans that may have not known Sideshow also did Universal Monsters, Planet of the Apes or Bond. But they may bring new interest that could return product from those lines.

But as everyone has said, a company cannot survive making things that don't sell enough to keep the lights on.

tomandshell said:
I'm glad Sideshow doesn't dump an entire year's worth of stuff on us at once. I would rather have ongoing announcements from month to month.

Ditto. What fun is the rest of the year if we have nothing coming. It gives us something to get excited about a little if your having a down day/week/month/etc. It just spices of things a little I guess is what I'm saying.

I remember when SSt was spending (what I thought) was an inordinate amount of time and resources on lines I cared absolutely nothing for
(i.e. Buffy, X files, Angel, Freddy, Jason and anything 1/4 scale) Geez get a clue I thought. Well now my dreams are materializing!
1/6th StarWars, LotR and Terminator in heretofor unimagined detail.
Plus Predators, Colonial Marines, Rambos and RoboCops from HT.
What a year.
Milk StarWars? Is that possible?
Look friend, fans of StarWars have been waiting forever for Hasblow to release its deathgrip on the 1/6th line. Now I say ride that rented mule
into the ground and to China!
However I am worried about the pace of these figures.
Too fast for my bank account:google

Last edited:
FrankenFan said:
I think some people are setting themselves up for disappointment because of their own unreasonable expectations. There are no entitlements, Sideshow has never guaranteed that every figure from every license will be produced.

As far a Toy Fair is concerned, it's a show aimed at wholesalers and retailers, and product attractive to the mainstream market is more likely to be marketed there. John Wayne, Scarface, R. Lee Ermey, Terminator, Jaws, and yes, even the semi-deformed Star Wars figures are exactly the right kind of products to showcase.

I understand it's disappointing when a favorite license is on the wane. I've been on board with Sideshow since Monster Mountain and the 8" Universal Monsters Action Figures. Do I want Ygor, Maleva, Dr. Pretorious, and other characters? Of course. I'm a big Buffy fan. Do I want Anyanka, The Judge, Wishverse Buffy, and a dozen more monsters and demons? Absolutely. More Twilight Zone figures? Yes, please. Outer Limits? Gimme. But to blame Star Wars and LotR for diverting resources away from your favorite licenses is to be unconsciously foolish. If anything these lines are increasing Sideshow's profile in the toy market and bringing in a slew of new customers anxious to part with their money. This can only be a good thing for every license. Even this board has enjoyed a surge in membership since those lines were announced.

When a license is played out, I move on. Now, I'm a bit different than a lot of people on the board who are primarily 1:6 collectors; I collect a variety of genres and styles and I can get my monster fix through books, DVDs, block figures, tin signs, plushes, model kits, etc.

As someone above said (Capt. Sack?), with the variety and quality of product being offered from so many manufactors, this is an amazing time to be a collector. To be asking in the middle of February, "Where's all the good stuff?" is just beyond my comprehension.

wvb.jpg

Nicely put FF!

FrankenFan said:
I think some people are setting themselves up for disappointment because of their own unreasonable expectations.

As far a Toy Fair is concerned, it's a show aimed at wholesalers and retailers, and product attractive to the mainstream market is more likely to be marketed there...

I understand it's disappointing when a favorite license is on the wane.

...to blame Star Wars and LotR for diverting resources away from your favorite licenses is to be unconsciously foolish. If anything these lines are increasing Sideshow's profile in the toy market and bringing in a slew of new customers anxious to part with their money. This can only be a good thing for every license. Even this board has enjoyed a surge in membership since those lines were announced.

To be asking in the middle of February, "Where's all the good stuff?" is just beyond my comprehension.

I agree 100%.

Well said FF!! :clap

SS's Toy Fair previews this year are awesome. Sure I didn't get my 1/6 Ygor announcement that I've been complaing about for the last five years :horse :horse or Giles, or the 1/4 Mummy, or 1/4 Creature, or 1/4 Bride, or Origins Kurgan, or...you get my point...but I'm still very happy. :banana

Back