Ok, Sideshow is disappointing

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chat yesterday with Tom
More Bond is coming esp with the new movie coming out and look for a new format for them also.

As for the POTA line I think he used the word "concluded" when asked about the line. So I think that answers the question will there be any more POTA figs in the near future.

Viking28 said:
Chat yesterday with Tom
More Bond is coming esp with the new movie coming out and look for a new format for them also.

As for the POTA line I think he used the word "concluded" when asked about the line. So I think that answers the question will there be any more POTA figs in the near future.

When I started this thread, the intent was not to bash Sideshow and not to infer they were money grubbing bastards. My only thought was the worry I first had when hearing that they had acquired new, larger licenses like Star Wars and LOTR. That worry was that the older licenses would have even less of a chance of continuing in the light of a bigger, better money maker. And seeing no real mention of any extension to any older lines at Toy Fair [although, yes, it is still early on in the year] it seemed that was more a reality than just a fear.
I apologize for my comment on brown nosers, but I didn't see the need for anyone who doesn't profess the greatness of everything Sideshow does to be ridiculed either.
Sometimes, just the word that something long requested might soon be coming would be nice. Does Sideshow need to consult us on every decision they make? Of course not. But, as a company that is so customer friendly and accessible, it would be nice. For example: If POTA is indeed "concluded" as Viking stated, then apparently the no line is ever dead philosophy is over and it would be nice to know what lines we should brace ourselves to "move on" from. On the other hand, if the Buffy line is continuing, it would be most welcomed, by most I would think, to know if Giles is ever coming and just when that might be.
I know some think I just like to stir the pot here, but anyone that really knows me, knows that could not be farther from the truth. I'm just honest. I don't pull punches too often. Nobody loves everything. I love 1:6. I probably have more 1:6 than most with a good size of that being Sideshow product. I was one of, if not, the first to comment on Brent but it doesn't mean that I don't have him in my collection. Commenting on an appearance that seems off should be seen as an attempt to point out something that may need to be corrected before the production run, if its possible.
Sorry this thread took this turn. Can't we all just get along?:grouphug

The namecalling is inappropriate and hopefully we've moved past that.

I think the point that isn't sinking is that in the corporate world of licensors/licensees there is a lot of politics and things behind the scene that the consumer isn't supposed to see. SSC has a long standing policy of not commenting on something until it's an absolute.

We've had rumblings in the corporate chats that PotA wasn't selling very well, which we can see for ourselves by the fact that many characters took a long time to sell-out if they did at all. So it stands to reason that the line won't continue.

As for Giles - he may or may not be coming, but until it's for SURE they aren't going to say anything. And as long as some Buffy figures sell well there's a possibility that we'll Giles or Dark Willow or anyone else that we'd like to see.

But it's safer for them not to give out information that is absolutely, positively confirmed. Just to protect them from our backlash if they have to change plans and also to protect their relationship with the licensee.

Don't you think, though, that it might quell some rabble and discontent if fans heard with a certain degree of certainty that "Yes, Hell yes!!, We want very much to make a Giles and are deep in the midst of negotiating to do just that for you."
Do they have to? NO
Do they owe us that? NO
My point is, and for lack of a better analogy, the whole Brent debacle might well have been avoided if the first time a likeness issue was brought up, we got a little honesty in regards to it. An answer like " Hey, try as we may, we couldn't get the likeness rights from the Franciscus estate, but, as pivotal a character as he was in the series of films we decided to offer a version based on his script description" This quells any possible [or should] distain for the piece because comparison to the real-life counterpart is compromised.
We already know that Colin Clive's likeness is not likely, but what of Pretorious, or Basil Rathbone? Sure, folks are disappointed that Clive won't be coming, but after an honest explanation, I don't see a lot of clamoring about it.
Anyway, thats just as I see what happened with POTA and a suggestion to how future possible problems might be solved and/or avoided.
By the way, can anyone say they expected so many variations of R. Lee Ermey?? Maybe to complete the other lines we can start a new line of "Ermey as"?
C'mon!!!
Ermey as Dr Frankenstein
Ermey as Maleva
Ermey as General Aldo
and of course,
Ermey as Rubert Giles
:D

Last edited:
Darklord Dave said:
As for Giles - he may or may not be coming.
:horror :horror :horror

DON'T EVEN GO THERE DAVE! OR THE NEXT TIME I AM HOME IN THE VALLEY IT'S PITCHFORK AND TORCH TIME AT WESTLAKE VILLAGE :mad: :mad:

:tap :tap :tap :cuss

6 months later................honestly officer, I was just joking, it wasn't me, really!!!!!!!:angelsmil

EVILFACE said:
I don't follow Buffy,but who is this Giles everyone talks about? Pic?

look at the avatar of the post right above yours and you'll see Giles

The main point I want to make is that I don't think we should fault anyone for what some folks would label as "whining" about the absence of his or her favorite toy line. After all, if we are silent when our lines go cold, Sideshow might think demand has been filled and move on to the next line. I say those of you who have complained (albiet in a friendly and rational manner) should be applauded for speaking up for what you want. If folks weren't coming around here asking for POTA and Bond figures, I'd easily think demand for those had been filled. On a similar note, I figure the demand for Hogans Heros and Spinal Tap has been filled precisely because I don't hear folks asking for those.

And that being said: Hey Sideshow, I want more 12" Universal Monsters. For that matter, I want my 8" back too.

Side note: This article is always a good read anytime we want to discuss why we don't see Sideshow Toys at Wal*Mart:

https://www.mwctoys.com/FEATURE_012004.htm

I think Sideshow isn't in Wal*Mart so that they don't lose control of their lines and watch their company go under in the process.

I want the Stonehenge Spinal Tap figures! They even had prototypes done!

But just one or 5 people saying they'd buy every obscure character from a line isn't going to make a lot of difference. They know there's no demand for PotA because even the most popular characters can't sell 4000 units.

Just heard from a good source that SS will not make anymore Star Wars or LOTR figures. They just got the license for Sponge BoB and Barney. It doesn't bother me. I hope people dont get mad and complain the lines weren't complete. Like when Faraimar wasn't made. SS feels that these new lines will make them alot of money and thats great. They got to make money and I'll support them. I hope Barney comes with a voice chip, his songs are great. And they better get the sculpt right or my kids will freak.

Monster said:
Just heard from a good source that SS will not make anymore Star Wars or LOTR figures. They just got the license for Sponge BoB and Barney. It doesn't bother me. I hope people dont get mad and complain the lines weren't complete. Like when Faraimar wasn't made. SS feels that these new lines will make them alot of money and thats great. They got to make money and I'll support them. I hope Barney comes with a voice chip, his songs are great. And they better get the sculpt right or my kids will freak.

Yeah...right:confused:

Darklord Dave said:
I want the Stonehenge Spinal Tap figures! They even had prototypes done!

But just one or 5 people saying they'd buy every obscure character from a line isn't going to make a lot of difference. They know there's no demand for PotA because even the most popular characters can't sell 4000 units.

There can hardly be a lot of demand for figures that aren't promoted.

I recall Apes being promoted. Internet banners, reviews on internet toy sites and well as the toy magazines.

Guess they needed some prime time tv spots :confused:

I'm down for a SS Barney :banana

Hmmmm, I remember banners being up more as the line wained then as it was starting. Not at all like all the hub bub generated for Star Wars. I never said they needed TV spots :moon
Of course, it all seems like a moot point now. :cuss

Cannot wait for the Sponge Bob pieces. They can be 1:1. Awesome...........just think, a Premium Format Plankton. A 1:1 bust of Squidward. The exclusive for Mr. Crab can come with some Bikini Bottom money and a crabbie pattie. Sponge Bob exclusive can have his crabbie pattie spatula. The options are limitless......................please tell me that you guys are not kidding and this is really gonna happen. My poor poor credit card.

Sponge Bob had better have EXACTLY the right amount of perforations and be the EXACT shade of yellow.Plus his eyes look a little off to me.
And i hope Barney's nose will be sorted before production.:D

Minimodel said:
Sponge Bob had better have EXACTLY the right amount of perforations and be the EXACT shade of yellow....

Don't worry, we used a laser-scan of the actor.

Back