Ok, Sideshow is disappointing

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ironman1188

SO BE IT
Reaction score
Sure, Han looks good, Mace, Ani, Kit and Obi-Wan look great. The Terminators are sure to please, LOTR 12" look ok. Angel is on the way. They're distributing HotToys Predators and Aliens and Rambo. They are bringing us Medicom's Marvel 1:6 but there are some big disappointments:
No Bond?
No Universal Monsters?
No Planet of the Apes?
NO Giles!!!!
I don't want to seem ungrateful, there is a plethora of wonderful "new" product from "new" licenses on the way. And, as I suspected old licenses are falling to the wayside.
I love that they are offering fantastic Star Wars figures, and I know that they won't suffer too much from so many coming so quickly, but can't we get some closure on the older lines? With some requested figures at a bit more affordable pricepoints?
I know ToyFair isn't over yet, but will we see more unveiled or have we seen all that is coming?
I'm really torn. i love all that I see is coming but am so very disappointed by what is not. :(

I think Sideshow is going to kill themselves in the long run with the ridiculous amount of Star Wars dolls. I can't see how collectors can keep up with the number of pieces and I sense frustration will set in at the ridiculous prices that are going to be charged by scalpers for an extra hunk of useless plastic when it comes to the exclusives.

They look really good, but there're just too many of them.

I wouldn't be so foolish as to compare POTA with SW but as long as they don't start repeating characters like they did with the Apes line, I think Star Wars will survive. I just wish they would realize that the hard core have wallets only so deep though. I wish we could get at least one old license figure for at least every three from new ones.

What I see from Sideshow is "milking" of the Star Wars fans. They have a hot license and they're going to pull every shred of money out of it as quick as possible without any care for their customers.

All of those dolls seem to be coming out at the same time. Wait until those credit card bills hit! It won't be me, so I'm not worried for myself.

It appears I'm done with Sideshow at this point. They no longer serve any niche. They make the same mass market junk that's been done a million times before. Of course they do it a hell of a lot better, but still it's all be done to death. I have no more need for the myriad incarnation of Luke, Han, Leia, Vader, yet another Jason figure, the millionth Spider-Man, the umpteenth LOTR item, or some ridiculously over priced dolls from Japan. I just don't care anymore.

Clearly Sideshow doesn't care to take my money, or they'd have a bit of robustness to their offerings.

Morgan the Raider said:
I think Sideshow is going to kill themselves in the long run with the ridiculous amount of Star Wars dolls. I can't see how collectors can keep up with the number of pieces and I sense frustration will set in at the ridiculous prices that are going to be charged by scalpers for an extra hunk of useless plastic when it comes to the exclusives.

I doubt it. All the figures released so far equal about a Darth Vader PF. Six to one! We could maybe get 8-10 to equal one Grevious. If people can afford a Darth Vader PF at once, surely $50 or so a month isn't nearly as bad. I don't get the 1/4 because of the price, but I can keep up with the 1/6. I for one would rather have 6 smaller figures than one big one for the price spent.

im sure theyre not milking the fans,im glad their is a ton of figures to choose from.there is far far far to much 1/6th available to be a completist,just buy whatever pleases you and dont blow the monthly expenses on it

Just because you didn't get what YOU want don't bash Sideshow implying Sideshow doesn't care about it's fans. These type of posts are nothing but insulting.

Morgan the Raider said:

I seriously doubt it. As Buttmuch said, they could release 2-3 a month, and it still wouldn't come close to the costs of collecting the PF's.

PF Grievous is $450. You could buy every single SW and LOTR 12" announced so far and still have money left over.

As for Ironman, I really think it's silly for you to complain. Sideshow has basically moved on to mostly 1/6 figures with its '06 lineup. There's only ONE thing announced during all of ToyFair that I'm even going to buy, so your comments are a little off base, IMO.

I'm not disappointed. I'm overwhelmed and I only collect 1/6 figures. If you don't have any interesting in a single thing announced at Toyfair, what do you like? PotA is dead and got more than it deserved whereas the X-Files line has so much unused potential. I'm not mad though, we even got Skinner a month ago. I'd be thrilled if we even got one more X-files figure before the year ends. Toyfair is far from disappointing.

Is it me or does Sideshow think "2nd Qtr 2006" is the rest of the year? We have 4 Star Wars figures alone coming then! 2nd Qtr is going to be expensive, but not nearly as expensive as ONE Grevious!

I agree with you Ironman, it seems that Sideshow is slipping in the maturity level. What’s Toy Fair 2007 going to bring, some Legos? I became interested in SSC long time ago when I thought they were seeking the adult collector and were striving with realistic sculpts. Universal Monsters, Brotherhood in Arms or Bayonets and barbwire were great lines that started it all. Now it seems that they’re leaning towards a teenage mentality, and I’m jumping ship. The Aliens figures look queer IMO, can we get some rouge on their cheeks? The John Wayne and PT Emery look to be their best products. Scarface? Oh lets get another figure because the first one didn’t include the most notorious line from the film, “say hello to my little friend.” $50 or $75 gets you a V.O. and a new suit, Blah! Star wars is only hot now because it’s selling out quickly. Once the figures ship Ebay will be flooded and the costs will plummet. Too many people trying to make a quick profit isn’t going to make this line. Even their exclusives are in the thousands with people whining to increase that number. How ridiculous, I’m glad I got the Ape line, with numbers like 400 or 500. They may not be popular now but after the fall of Sideshow they will shine through as being a hard line to collect and complete.

Personally, I don't think Sideshow is doing a great job for their fans anymore. They've cast out all of their old fans from their classic lines to pick up the mainstream Star Wars collector.

While I understand their business motives, to make as much money as possible, they shouldn't completely shun their older fans. That's my bone of contention. There's a possible happy medium. Plus, the Bond line always seemed to sell pretty well. Not the best, but certainly not the worst. Where are the Buffy items too? That's a line that put them on the map! How about Universal Monsters. One release a year seems to be a good year now.

It's not cool and that's how I feel.

Morgan the Raider said:
Personally, I don't think Sideshow is doing a great job for their fans anymore. They've cast out all of their old fans from their classic lines to pick up the mainstream Star Wars collector.

While I understand their business motives, to make as much money as possible, they shouldn't completely shun their older fans. That's my bone of contention. There's a possible happy medium. Plus, the Bond line always seemed to sell pretty well. Not the best, but certainly not the worst. Where are the Buffy items too? That's a line that put them on the map! How about Universal Monsters. One release a year seems to be a good year now.

A lot of their older fans do want the 1/6 Star Wars. I've been collecting Sideshow since the first 1/6 Frankenstein was released and I don't feel left out at all. Star Wars was my dream line! If anything, I would want them to back off a bit. :google

Morgan the Raider said:

Morgan, companies need to make money to stay in business and as Sideshow grows so doesn't it's staff. It obvious that POTA and Bond don't pay the bills like it used too. The fact is there is more demand for SW & LOTR right now. Don't take your frustration out on Sideshow because they are not catering to your needs.

Kookie said:
Don't take your frustration out on Sideshow because they are not catering to your needs.

Here's the thing, I totally understand Sideshow's need to make the items that "pay their bills." If people read my posts more carefully, maybe they'd understand I'm not saying they should make losing products, but not keeping up with their older lines is not cool when they promised more.

They said there'd be a Bond product at Toy Fair. Obviously that's not the case. Not even a word thus far. At least that's been reported here.

No X-Files.

But another Buffy! This is why I stopped collecting alot of the 12 inch stuff such as BUffy and POTA. And I dont think SS has a problem paying bills. It makes no sense way Giles isnt made, and for me its too late. What ever happened to the Dead Patient Zero, what was that about. I just dont understand its sad.

Monster said:
No X-Files.

But another Buffy! This is why I stopped collecting alot of the 12 inch stuff such as BUffy and POTA. And I dont think SS has a problem paying bills. It makes no sense way Giles isnt made, and for me its too late. What ever happened to the Dead Patient Zero, what was that about. I just dont understand its sad.

I'm starting to think the Dead line will be a SDCC exclusive line :(

Can't we all just get along....:peace

I can understand the passion that people have for licenses that they are huge fans of and their disappointment in a lack of product for those lines. It doesn't help them that Sideshow has aquired two HUGE Licences with Marvel and Star Wars. They also have to make those two licensees very happy with the amount of products they make as well as the fans. Those licenses couldn't have been very cheap to aquire either. Those two lines probably will bring in more interest and money than they will lose with people that are unhappy with their dwindling support for older lines. There are many lines that Sideshow has (I was a huge X-Files and Buffy fan but didn't get into their lines) and also added some (Jaws?) that I am not a huge fan of at all. I have no problems with those items being made. Unfortunately, not everyone can be happy or accept things as the older lines start losing some interest and less stuff is made for them. There are a lot of crossover fans of quite a few of the lines and people have to pick and choose what they like the most and can afford.

I think it is smart of Sideshow to limit their offerings and try and expand their collector base, even if the vinyls and RAH figures are less "sexy" than the signature flagship, the PF line. Sideshow is still a small company that produces amazing stuff for an elite audience, certainly vulnerable to a slight shift in the market.

With the death of Palisades, a problem that stemmed from poor cash flow and probably overextension, I think it is good that Sideshow take it slower and test the markets a bit more. Expand the lines, see what can really sell, and more importantly, what are the kind of products Sideshow is uniquely structured to market effectively.

So, while the products may come up slower, and the lines have less scope than GG, maybe in the long run, it makes for a more stable Sideshow, which means many more products down the road. Remember, Sideshow is blazing a trail that has no record of success to model after yet: a manufacturer with a centralized distribution system that relies primarily on technology and "viral" marketing. How tenuous that must seem to the guys at the top who must invest hundreds of thousands of dollars upfront into a product, where two bad decisions in a row in certain lines (a la Palisades) can mean an immediate and spectacular demise.

Okay, thought that had to be said. I'll get off the soapbox now.

i find it funny that you guys think sideshow is doing star wars and LOTR just to cash in. :google (you must have them mistaken with hasbro and toybiz)

if they had been able, they would of been doing star wars 10 years ago. it's just now that they can do these figures, as hasbro and toy biz are done with the 12 inch lines.

and to imply that sideshow is just out for the money is insane. reading their interviews, it's obvious these guys are fans of star wars and LOTR. i think they'll try to give us the best possible product, and in return will be rewarded with loyal fans.

it's too bad they can't make stuff for everyone, but you guys have to be honest, buffy, bond, POTA and x files are probably money losers for sideshow.

i'm sorry you guys are unhappy, but for me personally, this is a great time to collect 1/6th scale figures....star wars, LOTR, terminator, scarface, R. lee ermy. all stuff i'll buy. now if they can just get matrix and mad max rights!:banana

Back