Ok, Sideshow is disappointing

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually hope it would slow down a little bit on the star wars as a completist of SS SW I just think it's coming a little too quickly.

And as far as people complaining this or that didn't come for toyfair remember sideshow releases stuff year round there is always something being released for pre order and they will get to whatever line you collect as long as it's not dead yet.

I think they do a great job overall.

In January alone there was a hefty swag of product output. It seems no matter what is put out it never is enough. As far as Star Wars and LotR are concerned, the cost of attaining such licenses needs to be recuperated quickly, so they can pay for licenses and associated production costs before they are even looking at making a profit. The 1/6 world is in decline and Sideshow just go on their way increasing their profile, and customer base, while adding new licences and tying in other various forms of collector product, such as Bones Clones for instance, and roping in distribution of otherwise hard to acquire and more costly items.

America is Sideshow largest base of collectors and who complains the most? Me for not being in America. The only thing anyone should be complaining about is the shipping, and that's not Sideshow fault. An option that nonetheless makes it aquirable. The nit picking of sculpts, costuming, pose is all just surface superficiality. If you can do better you wouldn't be buying Sideshow, you'd be making them yourself, and there are some who can, the rest can go pick their nose, and pick up what Sideshow has to offer. The highest quality collectible for the most reasonable price. If you want better you can go pay more, if someone else happens to have something. Sideshow only have to be prepared to shrink their business down once the big selling items wane. I mean they have had some of the best most wanted licenses around. What else is there? A myriad of One hero wonders, or smaller itemed groups. Which I'm sure they'll get round to when and if they become feasible.

Really, if Sideshow think it is worthwhile, we are more than likely going to end up getting sugar. We all fall into differing categories, but there is something for everyone, for the most part. How sweet it is.

Collector Freak said:
If you are seriously expecting more POTA, then you need a reality check.:banghead

With Sideshow's supposed "no line is ever dead" philosophy, I don't agree. And I don't agree with the thought that I should be able to afford the rush of new 1:6 because its equivalent in price to a PF and you can afford that. I don't buy PF, I think they're oversized and out of place. I'm not saying you shouldn't like them, just that I have no use for them. But their cost compared to 1:6 cost doesn't equate to being able to afford all the Star Wars and LOTR 1:6 coming fast and furious. Now, don't misunderstand, I love SW too and am very glad that Sideshow has the rights. I have also been a Sideshow fan since the first 1:6 Frankenstein. But we already have five Star Wars on deck and thats before the first has even begun shipping. I don't find it unreasonable, being as Sideshow are big fans as well, to ask for some completion to lines that most definitely have NOT run their course. Bond still has some prominent characters absent. Universal Monsters will never be truly complete without Maleva, Ygor and at least one of the Doctors. and the Ape line, whether anyone thinks so or not could still do well if even only has as a site exclusive.
To think expressing a little disappointment in hoping older lines might acquire additions at Toy Fair is insulting is rather absurd. If asking for more from Sideshow is insulting to you then, well, I'll keep it civil.
I did not complain that Sideshow is making Star Wars and LOTR, I have pre-ordered them all. I love 1:6. If anyone ever reads the words in these posts instead of jumping on the "let's defend Sideshow" bandwagon, they'd be able to see that. I love 1:6, but I don't think I should have to give up on incomplete lines just because new lines have been introduced. :D

Of course Sideshow is planning and releasing a lot of Star Wars and Lord of the Rings stuff....:rolleyes:

Can you name 2 bigger movie franchises???:D

You go where the money is...:naughty :D

Morgan the Raider said:
Personally, I don't think Sideshow is doing a great job for their fans anymore. They've cast out all of their old fans from their classic lines to pick up the mainstream Star Wars collector.

While I understand their business motives, to make as much money as possible, they shouldn't completely shun their older fans. That's my bone of contention. There's a possible happy medium. Plus, the Bond line always seemed to sell pretty well. Not the best, but certainly not the worst. Where are the Buffy items too? That's a line that put them on the map! How about Universal Monsters. One release a year seems to be a good year now.

It's not cool and that's how I feel.

BLAH:banghead....SS is the most customer freindly company in the collecting biz..they strive to keep their customers happy..few companies have the amount of resources to the customer SS does....we get weekly newsletters, free gifts with orders,dvds highlighting products,keys chains and live chat with SS employies!!!!WHO ELSE DOES THAT?????????

Bottom line is you are entitled to your opinion...but to call SS care for thier fans into question is wrong! Just cause SS cant produce everyline YOU want that hardly makes them a bad company.....

If you are uphappy with the company as a whole you should move on.I have been buying from SS for close to 6 years and can never think of a time I was unhappy with SS.....Sometimes you dont get what you want and you move on..you should do the same.

Last edited:
I got my Alien Warrior bust and The Duke in PF ! That makes me a happy man! :joy

With all the things I already have on pre-order I really can't use any more of that good stuff coming out! Plus there's more than just SS for me. Gentle Giant SW .. oh man that Royal Guard..

If Sideshow were trying to cash in they'd have the Star Wars figures in brick and mortar stores, and sell 10,000 more of each.

Hell, if it's all about money then they wouldn't close the edition sizes after a week.

bluesparrow said:
If Sideshow were trying to cash in they'd have the Star Wars figures in brick and mortar stores, and sell 10,000 more of each.

Hell, if it's all about money then they wouldn't close the edition sizes after a week.

uhm but the SW figures will come in regular brick and mortar stores.. :confused: I do think it is "all" about the money, to be honest. But I'm just saying I'm happy as it is right now woth the Duke and the Alien. Just being selfish.. but that's it. You can't have it all.. :(

bluesparrow said:

No, that's right, Sideshow aren't in this for the profit are they :rolleyes: ...and what regular edition do they close after a week???

Look, I am not trying to trash SS here, they produce a good product at reasonable prices...but, some people here have the brownest noses I have ever come across....It's gets a little sick after a while..

C'mon....bring it.

it is after all the "SideshowFreaks" board and not the "Sideshow Takem or Leave'em" board
:rolleyes:

darth dyp**** said:
No, that's right, Sideshow aren't in this for the profit are they :rolleyes: ...and what regular edition do they close after a week???

luke and anakin.

darth dyp**** said:
Look, I am not trying to trash SS here, they produce a good product at reasonable prices...but, some people here have the brownest noses I have ever come across....It's gets a little sick after a while.

true, there may be some brown nosers here, but there are also a bunch of adults acting like spoiled children because their favorite (and most likely money losing) line didn't have a figure at toyfair. :rolleyes:

as for sideshow wanting to make a profit, sure they want to make one. you have to profit to stay in business. but if sideshow was the money grubbing scum some here think they are, we'd be seeing these figures with edition sizes of 50,000 and in every wal-mart, target, toys 'r us, and every other big retailer there is.

to limit an obviously high demand figure like luke skywalker to 8,000 units shows they are not just here for some fast cash.

Yeah, I feel that a lot of us are really just taking this a little too close to heart... I mean, I'm a HUGE Bond fan and was looking forward to something for that line at Toyfare... But, I understand that SSC has a lot of stuff coming out and may be putting the Bond series off for a little while to focus on other things. Who knows, the line may be dead and gone...

But, I'm not complaining.. I have a bunch of really cool figures and more on the way. I wish we had Red Grant and a Donald Pleasance Blofield but all I can do is wait and see if we ever do...

Just seems a little wrong to call this Toyfare's outing as "disappointing"... We have a bunch of new licences, new LOTR and SW figs.. Finally have a Buffy PF to look forward to, and tons of other stuff. To me, this is great. Besides, I'm broke enough as it is!!

It's one thing to discuss what you wish they would put out, but quite another to say this whole batch sucks because they didn't make the one thing you wanted... :confused:

captain sack said:
true, there may be some brown nosers here, but there are also a bunch of adults acting like spoiled children because their favorite (and most likely money losing) line didn't have a figure at toyfair. :rolleyes:

Well, at least spoiled children can eventually grow up. A brown noser?....he'll always smell like ****. :D

And Jesse I like your idea of a POTA forum, and if we can't get that [or at least a friggin' smiley] I'd settle for one centered on your avatar.

Some people don't seem to understand the difference between making a profit and being greedy.

If Sideshow were the money grubbing creeps they're being portrayed by some of the people in this thread, they'd be selling these figures at TRU or a brick and mortar store. They are not. I'm not sure why people think Sideshow is selling through brick and mortar stores - a few collectors and comic shops may carry them but it is most assuredly NOT the same thing as distributing to brick and mortar stores. I can buy a SS figure and sell it on a stand on the street, doesn't mean Sideshow is making themselves available to street vendors.

Sideshow could just leave the edition sizes open *for ever* - they do not. They could probably sell another 10,000 figures through TRU, Suncoast, Spencers, Hot Topic, etc - they are not.

I realize some of the fans of other licenses feel they're being left out in the cold, but if these sold enough to make a profit then Sideshow would no doubt continue to make them. I'm sure Sideshow wants to make more POTA, James Bond, hell, they probably want to make more Monty Python figures - or else why would they even have the license in the first place?

If Sideshow were only interested in making money they'd be trying to sell themselves to Hasbro and invest that money in the stock market. You think this is a high profit business or something?

I don't even get the brown nosing comments - are you that bitter? What do you think I expect to get out of this? It's not like they're going to send me a coupon code. It's just my opinion. Just like my opinion that they made some awful figures in 2005 and should never be allowed to do rooted hair again ... or when I said if they charged $50 for a 1/6 scale yoda figure it'd be outrageous ... or when I said their female bodies are ugly ... or when, etc... uh oh, real brown noser here. I mean come on. It's just as bad as the people who respond to all criticism by calling the critics "sideshow bashers" - sometimes it's just an opinion.

You can collect these things and still be an adult and not resort to name calling. I realize that may come as a shock to some. But then again some people aren't interested in rational debate and would rather just troll.

Back