Official Hot Toys Pirates of the Caribbean Jack Sparrow DX06 Spec + Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I like the character, but he doesn't mean as much to me as most of the other characters in my collection.

On the other hand, he's is an Icon of modern cinema, I love Depp, plus Pirates in general are cool...

...ah lets face it, I'm just trying to justify! :lol

In all honestly I don't regret the purchase. I think he was worth every penny, and he looks great on my shelf, but it's not love at first sight like some figures/characters in my collection.

Well, as great as the figure is, it's unfortunately a character with a lot of room for variations and depictions in the portrait, and as well done as these 2 faces are, they may not be "Jack" enough for folks.

While I would have been content with using the serious face if this figure came with the original 2 portraits, the final smirking portrait IS Jack Sparrow for me, the definitive depiction of the character. With the original portraits, I myself would have felt a sense of lacking with this figure, or if I couldn't have customized it as I did, something wouldn't have sat right with me, and I love the character.

the thing for me I think is that I got pieces of the figure before actually having the full figure. the hands, shirt and Jacket are great. I love that the shirt is already stained but once I saw the hat I immediately was like "really?" and I think that's what has been bothering me since. All the pics everyone has posted make him look great but the hat really has me down about this for some reason. and I can't "fix" the spare hat I have until I have Jack in hand to place the hat on so it can be done correctly. from pics though, the main thing that gets me about this figure that I love is the baldric and. the embossed pattern just looks great on there and for some reason appeals to me. The one I can't wait for is the Cannibal Jack as DMC is my favorite of the Pirate movies

Well, as great as the figure is, it's unfortunately a character with a lot of room for variations and depictions in the portrait, and as well done as these 2 faces are, they may not be "Jack" enough for folks.

While I would have been content with using the serious face if this figure came with the original 2 portraits, the final smirking portrait IS Jack Sparrow for me, the definitive depiction of the character. With the original portraits, I myself would have felt a sense of lacking with this figure, or if I couldn't have customized it as I did, something wouldn't have sat right with me, and I love the character.

Yeah, the smirking portrait is fantastic.

the thing for me I think is that I got pieces of the figure before actually having the full figure. the hands, shirt and Jacket are great. I love that the shirt is already stained but once I saw the hat I immediately was like "really?" and I think that's what has been bothering me since. All the pics everyone has posted make him look great but the hat really has me down about this for some reason. and I can't "fix" the spare hat I have until I have Jack in hand to place the hat on so it can be done correctly. from pics though, the main thing that gets me about this figure that I love is the baldric and. the embossed pattern just looks great on there and for some reason appeals to me. The one I can't wait for is the Cannibal Jack as DMC is my favorite of the Pirate movies

What's wrong with the hat?

I mean, I know it feels like little more than paper, but it looks good doesn't it?

What are you gonna "fix"?

That's about how I felt when I got my spare coat ahead of the figure, I was eager to see what color it was because of the differences in photos, and when I took it out and saw it was brown again, I lost a lot of excitement, then I spun it into the custom work and I think focusing the feelings like that paid off. Likewise when my DX showed up with the smirking head damaged, at first it was very deflating but I got past it and really enjoyed the figure.

I believe we both share an interest in matching the movie as best as possible with our Jack figures, and as well done as the DX is, it has issues for folks like us and at first those can grab more attention than the positives, but trust me, once you tweak it and have "your" Jack Sparrow, you will light up with excitement, I did.

Size and shape for the most part, but if you really wanted to nit, color could use work too.

I mean, I know it feels like little more than paper, but it looks good doesn't it?

What are you gonna "fix"?

Well I want to try to make it not look so big. and also have sharper folds where the hat meets the head. then there's just an accuracy fix of the back of the hat. the way HT made this at was in the way of first 3 movies where at the back of the hat there's a bend down the middle so there's like 4 edges of the hat. but in OST the back of the hat just rolls and there's only 3 edges. I'm sure the hat will look better once I have it on the DX head. Like I said, having pieces of a whole was probably the worst thing.

That's about how I felt when I got my spare coat ahead of the figure, I was eager to see what color it was because of the differences in photos, and when I took it out and saw it was brown again, I lost a lot of excitement, then I spun it into the custom work and I think focusing the feelings like that paid off. Likewise when my DX showed up with the smirking head damaged, at first it was very deflating but I got past it and really enjoyed the figure.

I believe we both share an interest in matching the movie as best as possible with our Jack figures, and as well done as the DX is, it has issues for folks like us and at first those can grab more attention than the positives, but trust me, once you tweak it and have "your" Jack Sparrow, you will light up with excitement, I did.

indeed. exactly the same feeling I'm having right now. I felt the same when i got HT Thor, but once I fixed him to how I wanted him, he's definitely grown on me and has become one of the those figures that I tend to just stare at in my collection. and I'm sure the same will happen once I have Jack in hand. Plus, I for one LOVE PERS and Jack has always been the perfect candidate for the best use of PERS. It's just the waiting and hoping for the excitement to rise is what's downing I guess.

then there's just an accuracy fix of the back of the hat. the way HT made this at was in the way of first 3 movies where at the back of the hat there's a bend down the middle so there's like 4 edges of the hat. but in OST the back of the hat just rolls and there's only 3 edges. I'm sure the hat will look better once I have it on the DX head. Like I said, having pieces of a whole was probably the worst thing.

Something like that wouldn't bother me, unless an aspect of the figure was inaccurate to all the movies, the fact that the hat on this figure is accurate to 3 out of the 4 movies is good enough for me.

indeed. exactly the same feeling I'm having right now. I felt the same when i got HT Thor, but once I fixed him to how I wanted him, he's definitely grown on me and has become one of the those figures that I tend to just stare at in my collection. and I'm sure the same will happen once I have Jack in hand. Plus, I for one LOVE PERS and Jack has always been the perfect candidate for the best use of PERS. It's just the waiting and hoping for the excitement to rise is what's downing I guess.

Personalization is a key in this hobby for me. I'd be happy with most figures as they are out of the box, but with any where there's room for modifications to make it suit my tastes, I don't love the figure until that's done.

I took everything off Jack to get him down to his shirt vest and pants and reapplied the sash and belts to get them just how I wanted, I customized the coat, swtiched out that hat. Out of the box he was a great Jack Sparrow figure, but now, he's the one I've wanted all these years.

Well I want to try to make it not look so big. and also have sharper folds where the hat meets the head. then there's just an accuracy fix of the back of the hat. the way HT made this at was in the way of first 3 movies where at the back of the hat there's a bend down the middle so there's like 4 edges of the hat. but in OST the back of the hat just rolls and there's only 3 edges. I'm sure the hat will look better once I have it on the DX head. Like I said, having pieces of a whole was probably the worst thing.

Something like that wouldn't bother me, unless an aspect of the figure was inaccurate to all the movies, the fact that the hat on this figure is accurate to 3 out of the 4 movies is good enough for me.

It's actually not accurrate to any of the films. HT went with close in order to make it out of real materials, but the folds and shape aren't like any of the movies.

I guess it's just a matter of our own tastes for the specific charcter. just for example purposes, I feel that the DX01 Joker outfit is fine even with it's inaccuracies, but you bought the Kato outfit. I want to try and get the hat to be like it was for this specific movie so I bought a second hat but you think it's fine the way it is.

Personalization is a key in this hobby for me. I'd be happy with most figures as they are out of the box, but with any where there's room for modifications to make it suit my tastes, I don't love the figure until that's done.

couldn't of said it better myself. I'm the same way.

Size and shape for the most part, but if you really wanted to nit, color could use work too.

I took everything off Jack to get him down to his shirt vest and pants and reapplied the sash and belts to get them just how I wanted, I customized the coat, swtiched out that hat. Out of the box he was a great Jack Sparrow figure, but now, he's the one I've wanted all these years.

I agree about personalization being the key to this hobby. It's why figures are better than statues. Even futzing a figures clothes can make it feel more your own. But when you do mods that make the figure even better in your eyes, then it really becomes something special. When I mod a figure and am happy with the results I can't keep my eyes off of it.

Regarding the jacket and hat, I've always cared more about how a figure looks on the shelf than screen accuracy. For example, I've always loved the red lining in the Jokers coat even though it should be orange. Red looks great on the shelf. I feel pretty much the same about the hat and jacket here. I like the color of the jacket. I'm not sure what Gipetto is talking about with '3 or 4 edges of the hat', but I might be interested in a custom hat that looks smaller...

Keep me posted with this. :)

Small thing but it drove me crazy watching people posting pics with Jack's shirt untucked showing in the front, it didn't look bad, but it's wrong to how Depp wore the costume so it drove me nuts, I tucked it in as one of my futzes. I also don't care for the way the magents tug at his sash and won't let it lay against him right, plus it looks a bit flat and ironed so I undid that and reapplied it not using the magnets and giving it some more wrinkling and worn look.

^^^Yep, little things like that are what I need to do to connect with this figure. I should really strip him down and re-dress him, I don't even know what magnets you're talking about. :lol

I guess it's just a matter of our own tastes for the specific charcter. just for example purposes, I feel that the DX01 Joker outfit is fine even with it's inaccuracies, but you bought the Kato outfit. I want to try and get the hat to be like it was for this specific movie so I bought a second hat but you think it's fine the way it is.

True, regarding Joker, to me the tailoring needed a boost in actual quality along with the many inaccuracy's corrected with this figure however I think hot toys nailed it as far as quality goes whether aspects of the suit are accurate or not to ost I don't know I haven't studied that ..I guess I have no desire to make it more accurate to ost because the first movie is the only pirates movie I actually like.

^^^Yep, little things like that are what I need to do to connect with this figure. I should really strip him down and re-dress him, I don't even know what magnets you're talking about. :lol

They stiched 2 small magnets in the sash so the little flap he folds over his scabbard will lay down, which was a nice iead because on the old Jack's I hadn't figured a way to make that fold lay down right and not pop up because of the light weight of the fabric, but the result is, in some photos, the flap pulls the long part away from his body and it doesn't look right.

With regards to gipetto's comments on the hat, here's a crude illustration.

HATS.jpg

If you look at his hat from an overhead view, in the first 3 the back curves out form his head a bit, almost forming a 4th point, but in OST, it runs a straight line between the back 2 points.

I'm not sure what Gipetto is talking about with '3 or 4 edges of the hat', but I might be interested in a custom hat that looks smaller...

well look at the back of your DX Hat and then look at the one that comes with the UU Jack.

69464edegw1dndxn9665oj.jpg

the way that the back of the hat folds for the HT hat is inaccurate to OST. it's minor, but it's something that I want to try and fix for my Jack whenever he arrives from AE's second shipment.

The original medi hat is the most accurate hat to the first 3 films from what I've seen. Maulfan has his with the medi hat but painted to OST colors if I'm not mistaken

Keep me posted with this. :)

will do!

They stiched 2 small magnets in the sash so the little flap he folds over his scabbard will lay down, which was a nice iead because on the old Jack's I hadn't figured a way to make that fold lay down right and not pop up because of the light weight of the fabric, but the result is, in some photos, the flap pulls the long part away from his body and it doesn't look right.

I see. I'm starting to get excited about this figure again. :)

With regards to gipetto's comments on the hat, here's a crude illustration.

HATS.jpg

If you look at his hat from an overhead view, in the first 3 the back curves out form his head a bit, almost forming a 4th point, but in OST, it runs a straight line between the back 2 points.

Interesting. I never would have noticed that, but I'm up for anything that makes the hat look smaller.

Cheers for the info.. I'll have to keep an eye out for those pegs now, I've seen similar but they were white. The clear ones could have so many uses..

You are most welcome Manticore and those clear pegs can be used in a lot of discreet ways. Just thought of it as it work well against glass, cheers!!

Interesting. I never would have noticed that, but I'm up for anything that makes the hat look smaller.

Also, on Jack's hats, the back side is a flap of material and is fold in towards the center of the triangle, like you see here.

IMG_8190.jpg

If you look at your DX hat, it makes this odd fold at hte back. I think it was done that way to add stability to the real material construction, but it just adds to the hat not looking right.

Back