Non-Refundable Deposits

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niceman

Super Freak
Reaction score
I'm sure we've all noticed the change over the last few months. More and more products are requiring a non-refundable deposit when we pre-order an item.

What do you all think about this? Has it changed any of your habits?

I get why they want a deposit. If tonnes of people pre-order and then cancel, that can really screw up their numbers. But what's reasonable?

The first item I ordered with a NRD was the Hot Toys Luke. I ordered it back in November expecting a March (?) release. I guess we're hoping for November now. I paid the NRD at the time, and made my first flex payment back in, I think, February. No idea when I'll get the figure, but in the meantime, they have my money.

The Hulk HT figure was just announced. It has a 10% NRD and they skipped the free shipping. The shipping estimate is March. No idea if that means it will ship in March, or June, or November. I ended up placing my order with Big Bad Toy Store instead of Sideshow. They didn't require the NRD, they charge about half as much as SS for shipping, and their price is $25 lower. The NRD, coupled with the lack of free shipping, cost SS my business this time.

I would love to grab the R2 and C3PO statue which is scheduled to come out in January. It's $800 and has a big NRD. No idea if it will come out in January, or March, or December 2013, but they want a sizeable deposit now. So, why should I pre-order? Why lend them my money for between 4 and 12 months???? If I want it, I'll pre-order the month before release.

I guess, given that release dates are so unpredictable, I'm not sure pre-ordering well in advance and paying a significant NRD makes sense. What do you all think? Has the change affected your habits?

Basically anything $250 and up requires the NRD. Anything under that doesn't unless you order more than 1 of it.

I admit that the lack of free shipping on the Hulk is getting me to shop around on him this time. With free shipping and rewards points, no dealer can beat Sideshow's price on a non exclusive figure. Without that free shipping everyone else is back in the game.

Basically anything $250 and up requires the NRD. Anything under that doesn't unless you order more than 1 of it.

I admit that the lack of free shipping on the Hulk is getting me to shop around on him this time. With free shipping and rewards points, no dealer can beat Sideshow's price on a non exclusive figure. Without that free shipping everyone else is back in the game.

:lol Around $350 shipped from SSC (w/CA tax) for a measly $15 in RPs sent me to order from BBTS for $287 shipped. :lol

I kinda like the NRD, because if you keep your order then thats just part of the expense of teh collectible already paif for and covered. I used $40 RP on the Hulk through SS and the NRD of $30 so its like gettimg him for $230 plus shipping when he is finally released.

Unless it is a exclusive I want to own, I'll wait and not pre-order.

A case like Loki which appears to be running low, I'll go to AE. I may wait a bit longer but it is cheaper, I earn points and it is "semi" local. It works for me...

I find that NRD are sometimes a pain because it can add up so quickly. This could effect your $$ when preorders are about to be shipped & charge.

the NRD doesn't count toward the final price

It's not about that but more of the deposits getting charged up front. They add up quickly. Sometimes you just don't have enough money when you need funds because your preorders are ready to be charged because of all the NRDs being charged.

They charge me more than $20 to ship an action figure. BBTS will charge me $11 to ship Hulk.

I was recently charged $16 for a 16 pound, large Bigfoot statue :dunno

For smaller items like 12" figures, they may be high, but for larger items, you can't beat their shipping prices.

Back