1/6 NEXT Hot Toys STAR WARS Figure...?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm down with either, I just got one of those thank you coupons I don't want to waste.

And we know were getting cosbabies, they sell in Asia, and they'll continue making them.

So that's it -- a regular and a Deluxe cartoon character? For $250+?

You could probably pick something like this up with sounds and voices for $49.99 at Target.
Well, I am saving money, so there's that. Honestly, I'm so burned out I ended up shrinking my SW wishlist to about 10 figures (and another 10 or so EU characters we'll never see). I scrapped my FF shelf and I'm this close to scrapping my X-Shelf too. The more time goes on the more I'm reverting to my original plan of having just a couple of classics/representatives over entire displays. I don't know if it's age, burnout or just the fact that literally no new pop culture media appeal to me, but not even FOMO gets to me anymore. I was planning on my "Epic" X-Men display having all of the Summers/Grey people, plus Apocalypse, Sinister, and so on, but then I felt as if I was literally playing Barbie. "ZeeOhEmGee, I have to have Barbie, and her BF Ken, and her BFF, and her mum and her dad and her dog and-". I'll never get a hot redheaded wife, but my self-insert Cyclops' dolly will have a plastic dolly of a hot redhead next to him inside the cabinet... I don't know.

My point is, I'm more inclined to get the InArt Harry Potter even though I've not rewatched them in about a decade, simply because of nostalgia/pop culture importance, than I am to buy the entire FF and burn ~2K when I only like Reed (I'll get a single Reed for my Illuminati display and that'll be it). At this scale and price point, you have to go based on what you truly enjoy and want, completionism will screw you up.

The funny thing is, a realistic Buzz would've been a sure buy for me. But the end result is just an oversized toy, so what's the point? If I want to sate my childhood nostalgia I can go get a DeluxeExtraMegaGigaWhatever Toy Story Buzz for 60$ tops. This new HT looks just like a toy with a more realistic paintjob. It's not their fault as that's the design in the movie, but it feels like a wasted slot right now.

I was watching the review of the new WV Vision, and it hit me just how "toyetic" the whole thing looked. All these MCU/DC figures with those pleather outfits just end up looking worse and worse. The realism is lost when your Spider-Man 2099 has creases all over his plastic but supposedly nanotech/future fabric costume, and the hands have a clear gap in the wrist area. I think there's a fine line between what works in this scale and style, and what is literally an oversized toy, so you have to think about what you really want from this collection.

As it stands, beyond waiting for 2025 to see some ROTS re-releases and maybe a ROTS-centic Palpatine/Emperor, I'm in for a Thrawn and that's more or less it. I'm not even getting a Kenobi Vader, I don't want that sorry excuse for a show's branding on my Vader box. I'll just wait for a ROTS version. I'm hoping that they'll add Starkiller and Mara to the canon at some point so that I can get some dolls, but I'm not holding my breath. They'll probably get to ruining the KotOR era though, but maybe that'll get us a Revan dolly.

Buzz looks pretty cool, i dont see any problem with it.
For me it's just too much of a toy. I don't see the reason to do it in this scale. It's not HT's fault, it's the design in the film itself. But at some point you have to wonder what is the point of paying ~300$ for a figure if anything goes. I got into these things for the realism, and a Buzz whose jaw and chin are larger than the entire heads of my other figures certainly doesn't fit anywhere. Am I collecting this scale just because I think they're the perfect height for a collectible, or am I looking for something specific? Remove the actor's likeness, remove the soft goods and tailoring, remove the realistic aspect, and you've got a toy. A good looking toy, sure, but...

Personally I'm not opposed to such a figure existing. But considering their backlog at this point, and the fact that the movie isn't exactly lighting the world on fire, maybe they should've waited a bit.

Last edited:
Mace Windu gets teased almost 2 months ago - Nothing
Cad Bane gets teased 1 week ago - Nothing
Buzz Lightyear gets teased 1 day ago - Instantly put up for PO

This is me when Hot Toys doesn't release the old stuff they have shown years ago:

bored-gif-10.gif

I don't mind Buzz being turned into a 1/6 HT figure. Still debating on him. While I debate I've decided to primarily focus my 1/6 collection to the Clone Wars. Hoping they do some individual clones like Commanders and what-not. It is disappointing to see that they aren't really focused on their backlog.

All these characters we love have been literal cartoon characters at one point or another, and so Buzz is no different. My only objection to him is that he does not interest me :p But HT does not care about one out of their tens of millions of customers, right? Of course they dont. Hell, they dont care when thousands of collectors are all asking for the same thing.

I look at it like this: at least it wasnt another Spidey or IM.

Back