News Update On The Hobbit

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think we should be happy if we get a Peter Jackson "Hobbit" in one or two films. Nothing makes sense in Hollywood. I would not be upset or think it would be stupid if they split it into 2 movies. I would just like to see it come to fruitation.

I heard somewhere that Jerry Bruckheimer wants to make "The Hobbit" but wants to update it with a technological edge for today's kids; adding mechanized characters and machines. He wants to call it "The Hobbot".

:D

Magic Giraffe said:
Well if it's in two parts it won't be THE HOBBIT anymore...unless they call it The Hobbit I and The Hobbit II....

You couldn't be more wrong. There is so much action in this book that it could easily take two movies. I also wouldn't mind if they did a 3 hour theatrical release and then had an extended DVD version. I think some other movies did that and it was pretty sucessful.

Darth Loki said:
You couldn't be more wrong. There is so much action in this book that it could easily take two movies. I also wouldn't mind if they did a 3 hour theatrical release and then had an extended DVD version. I think some other movies did that and it was pretty sucessful.

I totally agree! The hobbit had so many things going on that it would easily make a two part movie. Also, the part about the extended edition sounds great as well.

Darth Loki said:

I think you misunderstood what I'm saying. I'm saying what would they call the two movies when there is only 1 book?

Magic Giraffe said:
Well if it's in two parts it won't be THE HOBBIT anymore...unless they call it The Hobbit I and The Hobbit II....
They could call it THE HOBBIT: There... and then THE HOBBIT: And Back Again.
:lol

DOH! Bannister beat me to this witticism... I feel dumb...

abstractharmony said:
Easy!

The Hobbit (Part 1 - There...)

The Hobbit (Part 2 - ...and Back Again)

I certainly don't mind that. I doubt they'd ever name a movie 'There', even though it'd be pretty funny.

Sorry about the confusion MG.:eek:

that will mean MORE collectibles to come.... what do you guys think, they will make a Balrog size of Smaug?

exerpt from AICN interview.

QUINT: I saw in Variety that THE HOBBIT came up. The MGM thing. Did you see this?

PETER JACKSON: Where the guy who runs MGM was announcing their tentpoles and saying they were doing TERMINATOR 4 and they want me to make 2 HOBBIT films? I was reading that this morning on the net. It's a rather strange thing to wake to. I'm up for it, but somebody should phone me because I'm getting a bit booked out at the moment!
Everybody asks me about THE HOBBIT, you know? But the reality is I've never had a conversation with anybody about it. Not one person has ever made a phone call to me. I don't know. The irony is that we're acquiring our own projects now and we're buying the rights to books. The reality is, to be quite honest with you, we're getting ourselves now nice and busy, in a good way, for the next 4 years. So, people have not (spoken to us) about THE HOBBIT and it's making it more and more impossible for us to be involved.

QUINT: So, if you got a phone call tomorrow telling you that you could have any budget you need and creative freedom, but it has to be finished and in theaters by December 2009. Would you find room for THE HOBBIT?

PETER JACKSON: Well, it depends. No one has phoned me, which is kind of weird, but I don't know. We're very, very excited and committed about the films that we're working on now, so I don't know. I'd have to sit down and look at it all. Obviously, I'm interested in THE HOBBIT, but right now we have no emotional investment in it. For the last few years, we have put our hearts into other projects. It would seem strange to have somebody else do it, although some part of me would be interested in going to see somebody else's HOBBIT, be able to buy my popcorn and go and sit and watch the film.
I'm not against that and if our schedule is impossible, then that's what they'll do. They'll certainly go and get someone else to make it. They won't wait, which is their right.

It seems if PJ did do The Hobbit he would want to make it more complex than the original story.

QUINT: And I'm sure they'd love the idea of two HOBBIT films. Twice the box office, more DVDs to sell...

PETER JACKSON: I saw that. Yeah, we're supposed to be writing The Lovely Bones, but of course Phil, Fran and I read the thing on the net and spent most of this morning talking about The Hobbit. We think the two film idea is really smart. One of the problems with The Hobbit is that it is a fairly simple kids story, and doesn't really feel like The Lord of the Rings. Tonally I mean. It's always may be a little worried, but with two films that kinda gets easier. It allows for more complexity. At that implied stuff with Gandalf and the White Council and the return of Sauron could be fully explored.

That's what we talked about this morning. Taking The Hobbit and combining it with all that intigue about Sauron's rise, and the problems that has for Gandalf. It could be cool. That way, it starts feeling more like The Lord of the Rings and less like this kids book. You could even get into Gollum's sneaking into Mordor and Aragorn protecting The Shire. That's what we'd do. Love to work with Viggo again.

He has to do the hobbit. All that stuff about the white council and the necromancer (Sauron) will be such a good addition. How else could you justify Gandalf leaving the dwarves right outside Mirkwood? All of that stuff would make it an even better prelude to LOTR, and would make everyone want to watch LOTR straight after the Hobbit. CALL PETER JACKSON! FLY, YOU FOOLS!

It's pretty cool that PJ has starting putting in some thought on this, so MGM better hurry up and get in touch with him. After hearing his ideas, I don't want anyone else making The Hobbit.

Darth Waller said:
It's pretty cool that PJ has starting putting in some thought on this, so MGM better hurry up and get in touch with him. After hearing his ideas, I don't want anyone else making The Hobbit.
When I was 16 (almost 16 years ago)I was told by a oui-ja board that I would die December 3, 2006. A few years later I was told by a palm reader I would die on December 3, 2006.

That date is coming (or comming ;) ) and I doubt PJ will have it done by then,so I don't care that much....:monkey2 :monkey2 :monkey2

Back