Statue Weta Announces The Hobbit Collectibles License

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaber

Super Freak
Reaction score
With Weta getting the Hobbit license for statues and dioramas, I wonder if this spells the end for the maquette line... ?:dunno

WELLINGTON, New Zealand and Burbank, CA – June 05, 2012 – Warner Bros. Consumer Products and Weta Workshop announced today a partnership under which the innovative design company will develop and market a wide range of authentic prop replicas, collectibles and merchandise based on the upcoming films, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey and The Hobbit: There and Back Again, productions of New Line Cinema and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM). The licensing agreement grants Weta access to the library of characters, settings, and stories for the two films. The first products in the collection will be unveiled at San Diego Comic-Con at the Weta booth (#3513B) in July 2012, along with a limited number of exclusive pieces that will be available for purchase.

“Weta’s role behind-the-scenes of these two films makes them uniquely qualified to recreate the richly imaginative world of Middle-earth that their workshop helped brought to life,” said Kelly Gilmore, senior vice president, Global Toys and Themed Entertainment, Warner Bros. Consumer Products. “This story will transport audiences to extraordinary new places and we are thrilled to bring fans products that capture the artistry and spirit of these beloved properties.”

The Weta Workshop collection will be inspired by the scenery, characters and adventures Bilbo Baggins encounters on his remarkable journey in The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey from Academy Award®-winning filmmaker Peter Jackson, slated for release December 14, 2012. Fans and collectors will appreciate the remarkable craftsmanship behind each element of the collection, which will include collectible statues, dioramas, high-end jewelry and art prints.

"We are excited to be returning to Middle-earth,” said Weta Workshop's Academy Award-winning Creative Director, Richard Taylor. “We have been working with Peter Jackson and the product team on the design and production of the movies for the last four years, and we now get the chance to share our passion with fans and collectors. Our authentic prop replicas and collectibles are created by the very same artists who have worked on the two films, so effectively they come straight from Middle-earth."

Weta Workshop will also continue their incredibly popular range of collectibles for The Lord of the Rings, which began more than 10 years ago. They are now featured in the gorgeous art book Weta, The Collector's Guide.

The full collection from Weta Workshop based on The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey and The Hobbit: There and Back Again will be available for purchase in October at specialty retailers and on Weta Workshop’s website at www.wetanz.com/shop.

Re: Which Maquettes should be made next?

First of all - great news for Weta!!

And secondly, if anything, this could be GREAT news for Sideshow. When The Hobbit gets REALLY popular, people are going to get really into LOTR again too, and people are also going to want LOTR merchandise - hello Sideshow!

Excellent news! Completely expected, of course, but still excellent! :clap

I wonder if Weta will be the Master License Holder for collectibles on the new movies now? Hmm...

I wouldn't think this would alter Sideshow's existing LOTR license, though. (Except that it might boost sales, as FE noted. :wave) There's still plenty of awesomeness they can mine from the LOTR films!

And I would fully expect, given Sideshow's track record, that they'll probably manage to snag some kind of license for The Hobbit movies, too. (Gentle Giant got one already.) I'd predict they'll get to continue with the PF or maquette lines for the new movies. Essentially, I'd bet we'll see business-as-usual. Though, maybe the difference this time being that Weta may have a little more leeway in the kinds of stuff they can produce.

Just my two cents.

Its not gonna have a negative effect on the ss lotr line. If anything it will help it by drawing more awareness to it.

I am still four hobbits away from caring about anything else LOTR related. Once I get a complete Fellowship in the maquette line, my mind and wallet will be open to other things.

whew! :clap:clap Like others, I had always assumed (hoped) that Weta, with their involvement in the films and with PJ all these years, would get the license, but it's always good to have confirmation. Statues AND enviros (along with art and prop replicas).

Am wondering now what pieces of the pie Sideshow will get (if they get any at all).

Weta announcing that new things are coming in October has made me feel better about having to cancel my order for the Boromir EX. :) as great as it is, i just know there are goingt to be several things that i will want to buy :exactly:

Its not gonna have a negative effect on the ss lotr line. If anything it will help it by drawing more awareness to it.

Not trying to be a downer on purpose, but I'm not so sure it will help Sideshow. Many longer term collectors likely already have a fair collection of LOTR items (I know I do) and hence now, given a choice between more of the same characters from Sideshow, vs all new stuff from the Hobbit then ones money and display space could well head in one direction.

While it's all awesome news from Weta, that most of us expected, seeing the press release makes it all very real and no doubt SDCC will make it very visible.

I don't think every LotR collector will become a Hobbit collector, too.
No mather how awesome the movie's gonna be I'll stick to LotR.

I am just hoping sideshow get the PF licence too.

Give me a Bilbo and Thorin PF and i'm done with statues.
And as long as Weta continue with the environments I'm set.

Well I don't think I'll change my mind as we have already seen the main characters. Not talking about some monsters, if they've appeared in LotR, too.

he he i think FrodoEyes is right, there's bound to be a dwarf that you will want to get :wink1:
esp. since you have the ultimate Boromir now :duff

Not trying to be a downer on purpose, but I'm not so sure it will help Sideshow. Many longer term collectors likely already have a fair collection of LOTR items (I know I do) and hence now, given a choice between more of the same characters from Sideshow, vs all new stuff from the Hobbit then ones money and display space could well head in one direction.

While it's all awesome news from Weta, that most of us expected, seeing the press release makes it all very real and no doubt SDCC will make it very visible.

That may be for some but it might also cause those that I would call bandwagon fans to get interested and look to buy product from both stories. However, there will be some that want to add the new from Sidwshow be it I'd they have items or not. How much of an impact this has on the Sideshow line remains to be seen.

That may be for some but it might also cause those that I would call bandwagon fans to get interested and look to buy product from both stories. However, there will be some that want to add the new from Sidwshow be it I'd they have items or not. How much of an impact this has on the Sideshow line remains to be seen.

i think it will only help as other have said. people will watch the LOTR movies again and i think Smeagol/Gollum PF
will become very popular and sell out :exactly:

Back