News Update On The Hobbit

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Josh

Ringer @ Heart
Reaction score
Thanks to TORN for the info. :)

MGM to Unveil The Hobbit!

9/10/06, 5:33 pm EST - Xoanon
Source: Variety (via comingsoon.net): In a Variety article talking about MGM's move back into the tentpole business, the trade mentions a few highly-anticipated projects that are in the works:

Over the next few years, MGM is planning to release half a dozen films, some in the $150 million to $200 million-plus range. Studio is ready to unveil such high-profile projects as "Terminator 4"; one or two installments of "The Hobbit," which Sloan hopes will be directed by Peter Jackson; and a sequel to "The Thomas Crown Affair" with Pierce Brosnan.

It has already announced a "Pink Panther" sequel and the next 007 pic "Bond 22," due out in November 2008. "Rocky Balboa" unspools in February.

The pics are all franchises that MGM owns the rights to through its 4,000-title library. The goal is to release two or three tentpoles a year, all of which will be made with financial partners, including Wall Street money or other studios.

:huh hmmmmm....so we should assume that their negotiations with New Line has been ironed out? Is this yet another rumor started in hopes it becomes true because of a fan-based groundswell? TORn has been known to be a mite quick on the draw to post things. ANYBODY KNOW FOR SURE?

I guess we'll just have to keep our fingers crossed.

I don't know but it gives hope. The thing I don't like though is 1 or 2 installments. The Hobbit is one book they can get it done as one movie. If they try as two it will suck I have a feeling.

If it's in Variety, more often than not it's actual news and not rumors since they have a clout as an industry news source.

Great news and I hope it is true. Hopefully Peter Jackson will be able to direct it. I also hope Weta is involved.

Well this bit of the article is incorrect

The pics are all franchises that MGM owns the rights to through its 4,000-title library. The goal is to release two or three tentpoles a year, all of which will be made with financial partners, including Wall Street money or other studios.

MGM don't own the Rights to "The Hobbit" (just the distribution rights).

I suppose they may have come to a deal with New Line (there was that recent (possibly false) "spy report" from New Line Offices that a start date for "The Hobbit" was marked on a calendar.) but I doubt they have actually gained the Rights to make the film.

I know Ian McKellen will at least play Gandalf. He said that if the Hobbit is ever made he would play Gandalf again because he couldn't bare seeing someone else in that role.

I think that "secret" project PJ was working on during the Video at SDCC is probably the Hobbit.

Man I hope its true... but I agree it doesn't need two-3hr long films. The book itself is much simpler in content and structure than the LOTR series and I think anything more than one film would could stretch it a bit thin.

And I can't imagine them releasing it with anyone but PJ at the helm... at least I hope not!

Yeah, it's much simpler but it's equally as great a story. I think anyways because when reading it then going LOTR it just plays out so perfectly. The movie if PJ is part of it and they do it as one movie will just plain kick ass!!

Well I just hope the Hobbit gets made. I hope that McKellen plays Gandalf in the new movie and that PJ does get to make it.
I thought I heard before but didnt the guy who played Bilbo in LOTR die. If so who will play Bilbo. Also I hope John Rhyes Davies returns to play Gloin and Andy Serkis plays Gollum and Hugo Weaving plays Elrond. I think thats about all of the characters that are in both right.

I agree this needs to be one 3 hour movie

Its only 1 book so of course it would only be 1 movie. And to be a little off topic.. OH GOD NOT ANOTHER Terminator... should have stoped at 2.

The Hobbit is my favorite book. I saw the LOTR movies before I ever read the books. I have a feeling I'd be a lot more critical if this does get made. The longer, the better. Two 2 hour movies is better than one 3 hour movie in my oppinion. But I know why many want it in one installment.

jason2885 said:
Well I just hope the Hobbit gets made. I hope that McKellen plays Gandalf in the new movie and that PJ does get to make it.
I thought I heard before but didnt the guy who played Bilbo in LOTR die. If so who will play Bilbo. Also I hope John Rhyes Davies returns to play Gloin and Andy Serkis plays Gollum and Hugo Weaving plays Elrond. I think thats about all of the characters that are in both right.

Ian Holm (Bilbo) is still alive. I hope McKellen, Serkis and Weaving return as well as PJ. And WETA is essential!

Last edited:
jason2885 said:

No, Ian Holm (who played Bilbo) is not dead. There is however (due to his age) no way he would he cast in the role for a new film though, unless they have him narrating it.

How can John Rhys Davies return to play Gloin when he did not play him before?
From his comments about how the makeup affected his skin I doubt he would ever want to play a Dwarf again anyway.

I've seen another posting of the article (still not the Variety original) that does mention (unlike the one in this thread) that the Hobbit would be a joint venture with New Line.

YES!!!

This needs to be two films at 2:45-3:00hrs each. Why the hell would you want only 1 film. I love the thought of going back to middle earth for a few more years. I highly doubt we would see anything else written by Tolkien for a long long time.

The Hobbit can easily be told in two films, there is so much material to explore and flush out.

The Smaug story line and Battle of Five Armies could take up an 1.5 hours alone.

Now we just need PJ, McKellen and Ian. What's cool is that we could possible see a cameo of Legolas because it's his dad that enslaves the dwarfs.

Back