Statue Weta Announces The Hobbit Collectibles License

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i think it will only help as other have said. people will watch the LOTR movies again and i think Smeagol/Gollum PF
will become very popular and sell out :exactly:

Given Gollums place in The Hobbit, I'd say that is very likely to sell and I'm almost a little surprised it's not sold out already and as Josh says, new "bandwagon" fans that have next to notice will come in, but then they will also have the previous 200 items from Weta to choose from as a sort of eBay back catalogue of Weta.

I guess time will tell, tho from a SS point of view LOTR does seem to have slowed down a bit, their focus seems to be Marvel, Star Wars and now DC, so with Weta's name all over The Hobbit, is Sideshow in fact better of focusing elsewhere.

Obviously, being a fan of both companies I'd like to see them both participating in Middle-Earth. This I think give both a chance to succeed in this market and it's good for us the fans. Best of both worlds if you're a fan of both companies.

I'm happy with SS making the big ticket items such as PF's and LSF's from both stories, but they will only be 'grail' items for me (would love the RWoS PF and CT PF some day ).
WETA's announcement of statues has me more excited as they are more likely to be affordable at the moment and hopefully they go with the plain base look as before.

Good times :yess:

After see the quality of the Sideshow maquette line, I would like they could continue with this line on the Hobbit film. If the WETA statues are as the last they have released (Gandalf, Gollum and Strider), they are not good for me. If they have the quality of the old statues (some of them), then, I'll buy. Anyway, we''ll have to wait to see what they are going to do...

I don't understand all the license smallprint, but if WETA is doing Strider & Gandalf from LOTR and SS is doing the statue line at the same time; why can't the same happen for The Hobbit?

With as much design time goes into these things, I'm quite certain SS has a few more surprises for us LOTR/Hobbit fans. Don't count them out just yet.

After see the quality of the Sideshow maquette line, I would like they could continue with this line on the Hobbit film. If the WETA statues are as the last they have released (Gandalf, Gollum and Strider), they are not good for me. If they have the quality of the old statues (some of them), then, I'll buy. Anyway, we''ll have to wait to see what they are going to do...

i think Weta has the license for The Hobbit, i don't think Sideshow can make characters from the films? eg: young Bilbo Baggins, Balin, Dwalin and all the Dwarves. Beorn etc.

I don't understand all the license smallprint, but if WETA is doing Strider & Gandalf from LOTR and SS is doing the statue line at the same time; why can't the same happen for The Hobbit?

With as much design time goes into these things, I'm quite certain SS has a few more surprises for us LOTR/Hobbit fans. Don't count them out just yet.

Size is an issue with licenses as well as other things such as character likeness etc.
WETA currently has a license to make smaller statues around 6 inches high from LOTR, thats why they are making Gollum, Strider, Gandalf, SSC have the rights to make 1/6 scale statues (or maquettes) of the characters.
SSC are proving more 'high end' and I hope to see them come out with an exclusive Hobbit deal on big $$$$$ items that I can drool over and hope to get one day :lecture

Fantastic news! :clap:clap

Like some of you I kind of assumed they would attain the license. And, you know, I don't think this is a bad thing for Sideshow at all. Weta have done such a fantastic job in the past that we can only assume even further that their upcoming range is going to peek fresh interest in most lotr collectables, not just Hobbit. For many it might even re-kindle lost interest. :)
Sideshow have an oportunity to jump on this. Other than one or two, their lotr PF's have been stunning up to this point. Not to mention many of their diorama's. (Okay, so the legendary bust line kinda dwindled out, but still...)
Also there is still so much ground to cover with the original lotr movies, that Sideshow only needs to ride the fresh wave of interest that the new movie is going to stimulate.
Weta are great, but there are things that Sideshow does that they simply can't acheive.
It will be interesting to compare the upcoming line of Weta maquettes to the ongoing Sideshow line. I always thought the current Sideshow maquette line was intended to be limited just to key characters anyway (fellowship, Arwen etc).
So where would it go from there?
Thoughts?

I don't think every LotR collector will become a Hobbit collector, too.
No mather how awesome the movie's gonna be I'll stick to LotR.

Maybe but...

The hobbits is part of tolkien world in middle-earth and we will see really good statues from the next two movies. If a creature or a caracter is outstanding, people will jump on it, lotr or not.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

Guys come on. This thread should stay about the great news that is wets making The Hobbit Collectibles.

Given Weta's penchant for a fine art approach (the continued use of black bases, for example) I find it hard to believe they will top the John Howe Smaug statue. The resting pose is very much their style. Maybe SS will do a LSF scale or PF scale Smaug in mega destruction mode to go along with it though. I do wonder if we in the collecting world dont have some blinkers on about the general differences between the run up to LOTr vs the Hobbit. The world is much more hum drum now. I dont know. Can we expect to see the same level of releases for the Hobbit??

I think we will see a nice steady release. It might not be the same but it will be a nice amount of pieces in the end.

Dude have you even read The Hobbit? It's not just LOTR characters or creatures :slap

Blablabla...let me collect what I want and I let you collect whatever you want. People here really got some problems if they feel offended just because I don't collect something they do.

And I never said that it's only LOTR characters. I was refering to the dwarves and young Bilbo etc..

I said that I may pick up characters or creatures of the Hobbit line IF THEY APPEARED IN LOTR TOO.

Its crazy to me that people would collect one line and not the other, they are all the same universe to me. Sure f money is tight I get it, but these aren't different licenses, although I guess the technical end of it may make for a convenient cut off should you want to find one.

Im sure there going to be great movies, but I dont care for the hobbits or any other "regular" good guys. Bad guys and monsters only here

Maybe SS will do a LSF scale or PF scale Smaug in mega destruction mode to go along with it though.

I'm thinking maybe Weta will do a large 'diorama' as that is now in their license, of Bilbo talking to Smaug, and a smaller version of Smaug breathing fire on the mountainside.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back