1/6 MMS216 - Man of Steel: General Zod Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Self taught in martial arts is inferior. Ive been doing it since '94 so I know a little about the subject. Kryptonians seem to be human like on the native world meaning there is only so many ways a punch and kick can be executed no matter the knowledge jorel may have come across, it would still be limited by the human body. The only thing left is training and Zod would have had more of it with experienced teachers and pressure testing. Self taught in intelletual pursuits tend to transfer a little better.

Self taught in martial arts is inferior. Ive been doing it since '94 so I know a little about the subject.
Kryptonians seem to be human like on the native world meaning there is only so many ways a punch and kick can be executed no matter the knowledge jorel may have come across, it would still be limited by the human body.

Then we can both certainly agree that a tad bit more goes into personal combat than merely kicks and punches.
We can both agree that strategic thinking goes into it as well, but I digress. I certainly wouldn't rule out the
possibility of genetic modification as well, and with Jor'El being Krypton's top scientist, it would certainly be
plausible of him augmenting himself if the Kryptonian warriors are indeed modified.

The only thing left is training and Zod would have had more of it with experienced teachers and pressure testing. Self taught in intelletual pursuits tend to transfer a little better.

Assuming Jor'El didn't or couldn't obtain the same type of training and tutelage given by Zod. Again, we know next to nothing
prior to the events in MOS to ascertain this. Kal stood toe to toe with Zod and he had no training whatsoever.

I would think kals time on earth absorbing sunlight would have made him stronger and more experienced with his powers than Zod and it is something that has been touched upon before Kal is like a battery that was more "charged" which is a little different than 2 humans, one experienced one inexperienced slugging it out.T

I would think kals time on earth absorbing sunlight would have made him stronger and more experienced with his powers than Zod and it is something that has been touched upon before Kal is like a battery that was more "charged" which is a little different than 2 humans, one experienced one inexperienced slugging it out.T

Not necessarily. It was established in Batman Superman apocalypse that the extra time that Supergirl spent on krypton made her more powerful and allowed her to absorb the earths sunlight more quickly. Remember Kal didn't grow up on krypton he grew up on earth.

Not necessarily. It was established in Batman Superman apocalypse that the extra time that Supergirl spent on krypton made her more powerful and allowed her to absorb the earths sunlight more quickly. Remember Kal didn't grow up on krypton he grew up on earth.

IDK I never read Loebs Batman/Superman. I was rambling on because Jorels fighting prowess is never explained so anyones opinions could be correc t only Snyder knows but Jor el beating Zod never sat well with me and made me not like the movie for some odd reason. Maybe I was never going to like it and needed to assign blame on something. I love the figure though and look forward to buying Faora as well.

Gotcha. It's one of those "you either love it or you hate it" type of movies. Personally I love it and BVS. I think they are the best Superman and Batman movies so far. I loved TDK trilogy but Bale just wasn't my Batman. Good but not the one I'd have in my collection.

Can we all agree that regardless of whether it was even possible for Jor El to defeat Zod in hand to hand, that as a narrative decision it was incredibly stupid?

It just seemed odd and out of place. Sure, Jor El could have taken a stand to give baby Kal time to leave, but Zod should have had the clear upper hand the entire fight.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Can we all agree that regardless of whether it was even possible for Jor El to defeat Zod in hand to hand, that as a narrative decision it was incredibly stupid?
i definitely agree. Just changing a few scenes would have made the movie so much better IMO(another scene that really bothered me is Supes telling the general he grew up in from Kansas, the next day the military would have known his identity). Like the Star Wars prequels I ignore the movie and start wit BvS which I really like. In my world I still don't know Darth Vader's origin, the character is still a big mystery because I don't acknowledge the prequels.

This comment is intrisically stupid.
If it is possible for Jor-El to defeat Zod the decision is validated.

I was rambling on because Jorels fighting prowess is never explained so anyones opinions could be correc t only Snyder knows but Jor el beating Zod never sat well with me and made me not like the movie for some odd reason. Maybe I was never going to like it and needed to assign blame on something. I love the figure though and look forward to buying Faora as well.

I can't speak for you because your opinion is your opinion and only you should know the reason why you personally came to have that opinion, but based on the last two pages, I get the sense that possibly may indeed be the case for you (that you were never going to like the film from the start and needed to find a reason to justify not liking it). There have been numerous, tenable explanations how Jor-El being just as good as Zod at hand to hand combat (if not better) is plausible, but you have rejected every single one of them because you seemingly don't want to believe it to be possible.

Not that you have to accept any of them of course, but you said yourself that maybe you were never going to like the film from the start, so you seem to be uncertain yourself as to why you don't like it.

You're correct that it was never directly explained how Jor-El was able to best Zod at hand to hand combat, but as I mentioned before, sometimes I don't think things need to be spelled out so to speak in films and explained in detail; I believe that sometimes, film makers do leave things open to interpretation or let the viewer follow clues placed within the film to figure out the answer for themselves. There simply isn't enough time to explain every little thing in detail and I personally feel that explaining in detail how Jor-El is just as good at Zod in hand to hand combat wasn't something that needed to be expounded at that particular moment, as it was beside the point.

No. Why would it be an incredibly stupid narrative decision if it was indeed possible and explanatory?

What in the hell are you guys arguing about, lol?

Jor El fought Zod and got the upper hand long enough for the baby to blast off. End of story.
Attributing reasons why and levels of training is just ludicrous.
Jor-El's training was merely plot related.
I can't believe every update i see is people arguing why a scientist couldn't beat a trained soldier(And then counter arguments to show why he could).
Accept it and move on. You'll go mad otherwise. Unless you already are mad.

Jor El fought Zod and got the upper hand long enough for the baby to blast off. End of story.
I can't believe every update i see is people arguing why a scientist couldn't beat a trained soldier(And then counter arguments to show why he could).

I don't get mad I was nerd debating, the funnest form of debate, talking about beloved fictional characters. The ghost of Jorel did say he took precautions to protect themselves and he and Zod were friends so it is possible for Jorel t be a comparable fighter but I'd rather Jorel had used some sort of technology or forcefield maybe of his own invention to block Zod from the launch which would showcase his scientific ingenuity, was distracted by the success of the launch and then have Zod kill Jorel. In my director mind that would have worked better.

No. Why would it be an incredibly stupid narrative decision if it was indeed possible and explanatory?

Narrative I mean as in how it effects the story negatively.

My point was that you end up with a villain who is usually meant to always have the upper hand against Superman basically getting his ass kicked throughout the entire film. I mean I'm sure we could argue that it's theoretically possible that Lara could beat Zod (what with her secretly being a master of martial arts and all),but it doesn't mean it wouldn't completely destroy his entire threat and narrative purpose of being this big scary villain. When Zod loses to Jor El it doesn't fit and it just comes across weird.

Zods entire character is that he's a warrior/ general, master of combat etc. When he can't stand a chance against a scientist and a goody two shoes like Superman he's basically irrelevant, and it's made worse by his two henchmen kicking ass throughout the film. Superman being too powerful has always been an issue narratively, and they finally get to show him against a proper villain and still somehow find a way to make Superman still a Mary Sue.

Just to clarify, still like the movie hahah. All I'm saying is is that it's really poor writing.

But it's so fun to debate about this stuff lol.

it doesn't mean it wouldn't completely destroy his entire threat and narrative purpose of being this big scary villain. When Zod loses to Jor El it doesn't fit and it just comes across weird.

To be fair, you could pick any one weak individual off the street who is good at chess(Or any other such strategy game), give him an army of fanatical followers and he could rule the planet without any physical strength whatsoever. Perhaps Zod was like any others of the Kryptonians. He had gotten metaphorically​(Not physically), weak. Perhaps he is 70 years old and hasn't kept up with his karate lessons, lol.

But it's so fun to debate about this stuff lol.

Of course! Debating about it is half the fun. I suppose the main problem is that none of the writers thought even half as much about these fact as anyone in this thread did.

Back