MMS164 - Iron Man: Iron Monger Limited Edition Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The way I see it, this will take a while to sell out since it's not like everyone can afford to spend $500+ on 1 figure. On top of that, flippers who want to get a few of these to resell may find it hard to do so since people are not willing to buy them now at retail price, let alone flipper prices! So good luck to the flippers out there!

:goodpost: I just can't believe companies like Bowen and Hot Toys are now expecting people to pay just as much or more for their 12" figures as they do for SS 1/4 premium format & comiquette Statues..They will end up bankrupted by their own greed :lecture

:goodpost: I just can't believe companies like Bowen and Hot Toys are now expecting people to pay just as much or more for their 12" figures as they do for SS 1/4 premium format & comiquette Statues..They will end up bankrupted by their own greed :lecture

Bowen, maybe.

But I think HT will do just fine. IF anything, people are willing to pay more in the future, once these dries up. As evidenced by the Batpod, Tumbler etc.

Nothing Hot Toys makes costs anything close to as much as a comparable Sideshow 1/4 Premium Format statue. Generally they seem to cost roughly half as much if not a bit less than half as much.

HT makes a great product, but the majority of collectors have a price point beyond which they cannot continue to collect these figures on a continuing bases. Hot Toys could end up pricing themselves out of the market if someone else eventually comes along and offers similar quality for less. I can't justify some of these prices to my wife as it is.

Jakarta, Indonesia.

Since HT was selling like hot cakes a while ago, before they start reissueing/remaking with the Mark II AU. Collectors and non collectors were POing HT figures like mad, especially the non collectors.

Now they are afraid that HT will remake figures, that they stop collecting/scalping all together and sell it cheap, just to get their money back.

Shipping is gonna bump the price up to the retail prices you guys are getting from the US retailers though. Since the box is quite big and heavy, probably around $50-60USD.

Perfect bubble burst example. Low demand coupled with too much product supply will always drive down prices. This is only short term, as the speculators leave the market, prices will stabilize. I can see this happening with HT as more noncollectors buy to flip increasing available supply. Iron Monger is interesting though as the price point is high which may scare away the flippers meaning HT will not make a high enough ES to over supply the market, which will help the aftermarket prices. This is what happened to the tumbler, low ES due to a high retail price means a low supply that is not enough to satisfy demand hence price increases.

HT makes a great product, but the majority of collectors have a price point beyond which they cannot continue to collect these figures on a continuing bases. Hot Toys could end up pricing themselves out of the market if someone else eventually comes along and offers similar quality for less. I can't justify some of these prices to my wife as it is.

Same here, my wife looks at this and is like, if you like Iron Man so much, why not just get the cheaper $20 toys instead? :slap Iron Monger is dope but is so large and I have such a lack of space, my wife also will be like WTF?? :panic:

Plus the fact that Ht is bombarding us with SO MANY new items- the sheer quantity alone will cause many new items not to sell...really HT overestimated our buying power..they are trying to make as much $$$ as they can while this hobby is hot...

HT is a business. Period. Something tells me people will continue to buy as long as they continue to make awesome figures. Plus, nobody else can make these figures this awesome as there are so many license fees involved. More licenses = more figures = more cost to them = more cost to us. It's simple business. It sucks, but unlike a lot of hobbies, you can feel comfortable knowing that you're not completely pissing money away. You can walk away at any point and get at least what you put in back out. Most of the time, you're gonna profit if you sell when items are hot.

Now what will suck is if HT gets to the point where they are doing so much their quality tanks. So far, the quality and detail in their figures has gone up. So far so good.

HT is a business. Period. Something tells me people will continue to buy as long as they continue to make awesome figures. Plus, nobody else can make these figures this awesome as there are so many license fees involved. More licenses = more figures = more cost to them = more cost to us. It's simple business. It sucks, but unlike a lot of hobbies, you can feel comfortable knowing that you're not completely pissing money away. You can walk away at any point and get at least what you put in back out. Most of the time, you're gonna profit if you sell when items are hot.

Now what will suck is if HT gets to the point where they are doing so much their quality tanks. So far, the quality and detail in their figures has gone up. So far so good.

:exactly: Well said sir.

Even if HT or their distributors get stuck with quantities of unsold product for whatever reason, there are tons of new films & licenses coming out for them to do. I think they can easily stay afloat just on the newer more expensive, more hyped items alone.
There's no sign that sci-fi/comic films are going to slow down any time soon. Even if they do, HT can always go back and do older films- like Arnie Conan, more ALIEN, Matrix, etc.
My point is, they can afford to have several flops, which will be more than compensated for by fresh items which they already know people are screaming for.

I for one, would give my left walnut for a 12" Arnie Conan & James Earl Jones Thulsadoom in full armor.

Last edited:
How do you calculate and compare their costs?

Pretty easy. If Hot Toys maks a 1/6 scale version of something and Sideshow makes a 1/4 statue of the same thing during the same time period. Or even more simply just comparing 1/6 scale figures from Hot Toys with similarly sized 1/4 scale Sideshow stuff from the same time period (ie comparing a 12" figure to an 18" statue).

For example some Iron Man comparisons:

Sideshow Iron Man Mark I
- 1/4 scale (about 18" tall)
- $399.99

Hot Toys Iron Man Mark I
- 1/6 scale (about 12" tall)
- $169.99

-- 42.5% difference

Sideshow Iron Man Mark VI
- 1/4 scale (about 17", but is in a semi-crouched pose)
- $499.99

Hot Toys Iron Man Mark VI
- 1/6 scale (about 12.5" tall)
- $209.99

-- 42% difference

Sideshow War Machine
- 1/4 scale (about 20" tall)
- $549.99

Hot Toys War Machine
- 1/6 scale (about 13" tall)
- $179.99

-- 32.7% difference

Now this is a bit less exact, but the size and complexity are close. Meaning that while the AMP Suit isn't 1/4 scale, it's actually smaller than a 1/4 Iron Monger would be (21" vs . 25") but has roughly the same amount of detail and general mass. It's also a fair bit older than Iron Monger so if anything a 1/4 scale Iron Monger would cost more, so I think it's a fair comparison.

Sideshow AMP Suit
- Nonscale (21")
- $1199.99

Hot Toys Iron Monger
- 1/6 scale (about 17" tall)
- $479.99

-- 40% difference

One thing about the the sheer volume recently is that just because people cant get it doesnt mean they dont want it.

Say there are 8 figures you're interested in this year. You can only afford 5. You still want the other 3, you just cant get them now. So you don't buy them. Demand seems flat on the order numbers, but people still want the product. Maybe a yr or 2 later you get around to buying those 3 figures. But now the price has gone up since they really didn't make that many because not everyone could afford it (low supply).

But its a cycle because the same thing happens when HT released another 8 figures the next year.

Just a thought.

Back