1/6 MMS152 - Superman: Superman Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys - MMS152 - Superman: 1/6th scale Superman Collectible Figure

I agree about the Clark Kent thing, but like you said, we've yet to see how they handle his secret identity. Reeve played up their personality differences well but still, anyone looking at him would know who he is. It is the lightest secret identity disguise in the history of comics, and as the decades go by, it gets harder and harder to swallow. With the popularity of contacts and lasik, I always wondered what they'd do in the comics if (when) we get to the point that eyeglasses were completely obsolete.

All-Star Superman did the secret identity thing really well, to a point where Clark glasses weren't on him for a moment in front of Lex! The idea was that Superman would never stoop so low to disguise himself to become a man such as Clark Kent.

He's superman, he doesn't need any costume. :) He certainly doesn't need a giant colorful logo on his chest - he's not selling hot dogs. These are things I didn't (and don't) have an issue with in the original movies, but they feel awkward in a modern interpretation. This isn't a period piece after all.

So Clark comes in for his first day of work... Everyone: "Holy sh&t-snacks! Superman's working in the office! Why's he wearing glasses?"

I'm sure the new movie will be (much) better than most of the Marvel stuff that has come to the screen. Seeing as how JJ Abrams is now playing both sides in Sci-Fi, it would be nice to see Christopher Nolan take on a Marvel character like Spiderman - who has never yet been portrayed even half-well in live action. The newest movie was even worse than the previous three and that was hard to imagine as possible before it was released.

Last edited:

I don't understand what kind of vision you want for this down to earth Superman movie? No costume? No S on the chest? You'd prefer a guy with powers saving the day...in civilian clothes?

Look, I'm with you that it seems more practical that way, but then, isn't that pretty boring as well?
Spoiler Spoiler:

The vision should be that he's larger than life, even though he's really not

I don't understand what kind of vision you want for this down to earth Superman movie? No costume? No S on the chest? You'd prefer a guy with powers saving the day...in civilian clothes?

Well we need to get rid of the suit for starters. Looks too ***gy.
And we don't want to see him fly.
We will need to have a battle at his castle. Where his guards fight some people who try to bust in.
Then we are going to need to see superman wrasstle a polar bear.
And fight a giant spider.
That's what we need from a new superman movie.

:rotfl

Sod it!! Move is taking ages so Superman has escaped the Phantom Zone (his blister box).

1F43A251-D539-49C6-AB1B-2BE40AB4FF90-7273-000003221A32F20A.jpg

My collection, so far.

3B6B306B-F3E9-4E96-9344-36EB702942BA-7273-000003225ED9A8F7.jpg

Coming at end of month: DX01 Joker (with spare TT body for cop outfit), Barney Ross from The Expendables and hopefully Rocky Balboa.

Then DX12, then..... ;)

Glad you got Supes out, he looks great with all the others! :rock

Look, I'm with you that it seems more practical that way, but then, isn't that pretty boring as well?
Spoiler Spoiler:
Hancock maybe?? Black super man!

We'll have to see how it's handled in this movie, but the fancy costuming is a product of mid-century comic book artists. It's not something I think would fit into the personality of a modern day character. I don't mean to imply there shouldn't be a costume, but that there be some (additional) changes and motivation which is covered in the story. I feel Batman did this wonderfully, the costume was both armor and part of the dark knight mythos. Green Lantern handled it well enough too - the character had no choice, the ring picked the look.

Yes, Batman's movie costume serves the practical purpose of being armor, as well as the pyschological purpose of being intimidating to criminals. And, it is true that Superman has no practical need for a costume, in that he doesn't (normally) need to wear any type of armor. But I think you're missing the point. All comic costumes are the product of their real-life creators, but just as Batman and Lantern have motivations for what they wear within the context of their stories, so does Superman. It's not out of place for a modern day character, under his motivations and experiences, to dress in that fancy way and make himself as visible as possible. Just because his costume isn't needed on a practical level though, doesn't mean it's not needed. It's a deliberate decision from the character's standpoint, it already makes sense within the context of the comic story. The movie doesn't need to twist itself too hard find some plausible reason for him to want to dress that way.

Martha Kent made it. The material was sent from Krypton, shown in the movie, and she created it. The material had to come from Krypton so it would be durable enough to withstand all of the explosions and other damage he was likely to encounter. Earth fabric wouldn't hold up and we'd end up with a nude Superman, lol.

Martha Kent made it. The material was sent from Krypton, shown in the movie, and she created it. The material had to come from Krypton so it would be durable enough to withstand all of the explosions and other damage he was likely to encounter. Earth fabric wouldn't hold up and we'd end up with a nude Superman, lol.

Martha made his costume in The Adventures of Lois and Clark.
But in almost every other variation, it has been provided as an artefact of the Fortress, or simply a kryptonian garment sent with him by Jor-El.
It's like a business suit from Krypton. An indestructible suit for him to wear when he is representing his Kryptonian heritage.

I guess I just have an easier time believing a man can fly than believing he'd choose to wear a pair of knee-high red boots and red underwear over his skin-tight blue suit, finished with a canary yellow belt. At least they've addressed some of those issues in Man of Steel. ;)

I love Superman. But the costume is whimsical 1930's, somewhat jarring and unbelievable today. Unless you're watching a cartoon.

An indestructible suit for him to wear when he is representing his Kryptonian heritage.

From the original movie, the suit is very much unlike any other Kryptonian fashion shown. ;) Plus the family "S" crest (why an S?) is very much unlike any of the other symbols on anyone else's wardrobe.

Last edited:

Martha made his costume in The Adventures of Lois and Clark.
But in almost every other variation, it has been provided as an artefact of the Fortress, or simply a kryptonian garment sent with him by Jor-El.
It's like a business suit from Krypton. An indestructible suit for him to wear when he is representing his Kryptonian heritage.

Right, but there are two discussions going on here now. One is "How did he get his costume?" Which I think is what you guys are talking about. Honestly practically any origin for the suit (Martha made it based on his swaddling cloth, it's a Kryptonian artifact, or even if he made it himself), is secondary to the other, larger question of "Why would he choose to wear that?" That question, the "why", not the "how" is what it seems pixelpiper has an issue with.

I guess I just have an easier time believing a man can fly than believing he'd choose to wear a pair of knee-high red boots and red underwear over his skin-tight blue suit, finished with a canary yellow belt. At least they've addressed some of those issues in Man of Steel. ;)

I love Superman. But the costume is whimsical 1930's, somewhat jarring and unbelievable today. Unless you're watching a cartoon.

But if the suit were packed in with his belongings and given by his father, then while explaining its origin, it also explains the motivation for wearing it. It's a traditional/heritage item and very much sentimental. I don't have an issue with that.

Correct. ^^^^^

And the why is explained in what I said before. Earth fabrics wouldn't withstand the fires, bullets, a train running over him, flying thru a red hot fault.

Once it's made, he has no choice, can't exactly nip down the local fabrics store and get more Kryptonian cloth! Lol

Correct. ^^^^^

And the why is explained in what I said before. Earth fabrics wouldn't withstand the fires, bullets, a train running over him, flying thru a red hot fault.
Once it's made, he has no choice, can't exactly nip down the local fabrics store and get more Kryptonian cloth! Lol

For the post-crisis Superman (not sure of post-new 52), because his costume is skin-tight, it doesn't matter if it is made of regular Earth fabrics, since his "aura of invulnerablity" extends a little bit around his body. Not enough to cover his cape though, which is why that is always in tatters after a battle/explosion etc.

For the post-crisis Superman (not sure of post-new 52), because his costume is skin-tight, it doesn't matter if it is made of regular Earth fabrics, since his "aura of invulnerablity" extends a little bit around his body. Not enough to cover his cape though, which is why that is always in tatters after a battle/explosion etc.

Yeah, but it's indestructible kryptonian cloth. As long as the tiniest part is left, it will regrow and heal itself.

Yeah, but it's indestructible kryptonian cloth. As long as the tiniest part is left, it will regrow and heal itself.

Not in post-crisis

In 1987, John Byrne revamped Superman's origin and completely restarted the character from scratch in the six issue "Man of Steel" miniseries. Though Byrne incorporated many of the first film's conceits, including the idea of Krypton as a cold, sterile planet, he maintained that Clark himself designed the "S" logo. While Ma Kent sewed the costume out of ordinary Earth fabric, which derived near invulnerability through its close proximity to Superman's aura (and explaining how Big Blue goes through so many capes), Clark designed the "S" emblem, which his mother incorporated into the final suit.

https://www.supermanhomepage.com/comics/comics.php?topic=articles/the-s-story

What you been upto?? Lol.

Back