1/6 MMS152 - Superman: Superman Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys - MMS152 - Superman: 1/6th scale Superman Collectible Figure

Even when forums were on the go 10 years ago there was less prats. Now everyone has a keyboard to voice their views. Today... a fricken mess.

When did you first get online? same goes for nam, and DiFab...

Back in 89 there were dial up BBSs. I had an Atari 800xl and a 1200 bps modem. And even then there was a huge Batman hype on those boards, such as they were.

His style works incredibly well for some material, but not for others. The Batman movies make me think of the 60's show with a different color template. It's borderline comedy and I can't stand it. Keaton and Nicholson are the best things about it, but they're still trapped in that world. It's limiting. Only thing I still like about the tv show is the Batmobile (which is a thousand times more awesome than anything on screen until the tumbler).

All the films (including TDK) have humor in them but the only movie in the franchise that I would describe as borderline comedy would be Batman and Robin. Not even Forever truly fits that description.

Pretty sure you're thinking of Schumacher. ;)

I don't think either director took the material seriously.

I would describe the 60's series as "silly". Schumacher's films were silly. Burtons films, on the other hand, were whimsical. Really, every film Burton has made has been whimsical. And in most cases dark and whimsical.

I know I'm not going to convince you, however I think Burton's style was perfect for Batman. But again, I'm not a stickler for source material as I don't read the comics and am not distracted by comparisons.

Even when forums were on the go 10 years ago there was less prats. Now everyone has a keyboard to voice their views. Today... a fricken mess.

I remember hooking my mom's IBM portable computer up to the phone like back in the day to play bowling which consisted of zero's and "I's" and word-based D&D from her work's network. Black screen, green text, life was sooooo much simpler back then. :lol

I know I'm not going to convince you, but I think Burton's style was perfect for Batman.

Well there's little to none of that in Batman '89. In fact, I'd say Batman is one of, if not the least "Burtonish" films that he's done. It has it's own look to it and not Burton's. Can't say the same for Batman Returns though. I mean yeah, I really like Batman Returns but Burton's style and look is just too specific. That macabre, black and white, snow crap was cool in the early 90s but now it's just gone too far.

The Batman '89, claustrophobic, "as if hell erupted from the streets" art direction > Gothic German Expressionism aka, stylized nude statues with gears in a white Christmas setting.

Oh wait, wrong thread.

:monkey4

Well there's little to none of that in Batman '89. In fact, I'd say Batman is one of, if not the least "Burtonish" films that he's done. It has it's own look to it and not Burton's. Can't say the same for Batman Returns though. I mean yeah, I really like Batman Returns but Burton's style and look is just too specific.

It's there in both. But I agree it's definitely more pronounced in Returns. Maybe that's why I like Returns more. :)

That macabre, black and white, snow crap was cool in the early 90s but now it's just gone too far.

Well, for me, the fact that other movies have used that since, doesn't diminish a movie that did it first.

I can't imagine what the interweb would be without me. I feign to think of it. :lecture

What most of you seem not to realize about the old TV show is that it was MEANT to be comedy(even won an Emmy as such).And by the way, isn't this the Superman thread?...PS

Right, but we're talking about the movies.

wax murderer said:
And by the way, isn't this the Superman thread?

If this was a thread about apple pie, would it be inappropriate to discuss vanilla ice cream?

All the films (including TDK) have humor in them but the only movie in the franchise that I would describe as borderline comedy would be Batman and Robin. Not even Forever truly fits that description.

I said borderline because I don't think it descends fully into comedy. What I mean is that it's exaggerated in a manner that makes it something that I cannot take seriously.

Would caricature be a better word? Both films have a quality to them that makes me think of a musical. And for the most part, I hate musicals.

Maglor said:
I would describe the 60's series as "silly". Schumacher's films were silly. Burtons films, on the other hand, were whimsical. Really, every film Burton has made has been whimsical. And in most cases dark and whimsical.

And I don't like it. It worked for Beetle Juice because that was a comedy. It worked for Edward Scissorhands because it was a fairy tale. It worked for Ed Wood because the man was three sheets to the wind.

I like Sleepy Hollow the most because it was more muted there than any other attempt. It didn't stick out, so to speak. The subject matter and style were a perfect fit, and I had more interest in that subject than the rest of his stories.

Maglor said:
I know I'm not going to convince you, however I think Burton's style was perfect for Batman. But again, I'm not a stickler for source material as I don't read the comics and am not distracted by comparisons.

If that was the only version of Batman available, I would not be a fan. I can understand your appreciation for it though.

Superman, as a film, was nothing like Batman, which is why I think Bale and Reeve will make a better World's Finest display than if I were to use Keaton.

Last edited:

I don't read those threads. :dunno

I'm pretty sure the last one I posted in got locked (because I posted in it), so I think I had the right idea.

Arnie Kim posted this on his Facebook
307334_2297598367010_1460645150_2686412_100897_n.jpg

I think his way of replying to the big eyes and smirk brigade

Worst HT sculpt ever?

You must be new to HT.

Their Drago takes that prize.

rocky-12-ivan-drago-figure-hot-toys--2132-p.jpg

It's like Duke Nukem and Gumby had a civil union and a willing surrogate!

:eek:

Back