1/6 MMS DX 02 - TDK- BATMAN full spec and pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys - MMS DX 02 - TDK- BATMAN full spec and pics

has anybody checked the the bicep armor (under the shoulder pad)? mines got oil in it too and there some bubbly on the rubber.

I just did, and it's starting to show up there too. It seems like it has to do with the material the bicep guard and ab armore are made of would explain why the rest of the suit doesn't show anything, as these areas are made of a more rigid material.

It's oil...it's not going to dry out. That's why it's there in the first place, to keep the abs from drying out. It's just going to sit there and...well, be oily. ;)

Au contraire, mon frere, sneak a peek at this:

Vegetable oils consist of glycerol esters of fatty acids, long hydrocarbon chains with a terminal carboxyl group. In oil autoxidation, oxygen attacks a hydrocarbon chain, often at the site of an allylic hydrogen (a hydrogen on a carbon atom adjacent to a double bond). This produces a free radical, a substance with an unpaired electron which makes it highly reactive. A series of addition reactions ensues. Each step produces additional free radicals, which then engage in further polymerization. The process finally terminates when free radicals collide, combining their unpaired electrons to form a new bond. The polymerization stage occurs over a period of days to weeks, and renders the film dry to the touch.

Thank you Wikipedia, your sooth saveth mine arse again.

Essentially, the oil should dry in a couple of weeks - so hang on to your lederhosen and cuppeth thine crotch for a while as Batman does a chemical change to get balanced again.

Can you say, "Holy atomic particles, Batman!"?

hmm I doubt we are dealing with vegetable oil like substance but I have to agree with Karnis that we are likely dealing with an oil that was integral to the ruber/silicone compound to maintain it's properties. Since none of us indeed know what HT is using then this quote really cannot serve as a supporting argument. Only time will tell if this will evaporate or break down enough for it to dissapear.

Au contraire, mon frere, sneak a peek at this:

Vegetable oils consist of glycerol esters of fatty acids, long hydrocarbon chains with a terminal carboxyl group. In oil autoxidation, oxygen attacks a hydrocarbon chain, often at the site of an allylic hydrogen (a hydrogen on a carbon atom adjacent to a double bond). This produces a free radical, a substance with an unpaired electron which makes it highly reactive. A series of addition reactions ensues. Each step produces additional free radicals, which then engage in further polymerization. The process finally terminates when free radicals collide, combining their unpaired electrons to form a new bond. The polymerization stage occurs over a period of days to weeks, and renders the film dry to the touch.

Thank you Wikipedia, your sooth saveth mine arse again.

Essentially, the oil should dry in a couple of weeks - so hang on to your lederhosen and cuppeth thine crotch for a while as Batman does a chemical change to get balanced again.

Can you say, "Holy atomic particles, Batman!"?

:rolleyes:

Sweet lord. :slap

Hate to break it to you.. but that whole thing you listed is about OIL PAINTS. And how OIL PAINTS dry.

:lol:lol:lol:rotfl:rotfl

I just did, and it's starting to show up there too. It seems like it has to do with the material the bicep guard and ab armore are made of would explain why the rest of the suit doesn't show anything, as these areas are made of a more rigid material.

Oh no, so now the oil is starting to appear in the bicep area as well. :(

I wonder what Hot Toys is going to do about this situation.

Oh no, so now the oil is starting to appear in the bicep area as well. :(

Just on the dotted kevlar plate. Thankfully, I think this problem is isolated to the materials the center of the abomen and the kevlar bicep plates are made. They're still bendable, but they're denser feeling than the rubber of the rest of the shirt part and the pants. Something about that denser material. In a way it's good that the effect is starting to show up on the biceps too, if it can be attributed to a material instead of just a location, might lead more quickly to a resolution.

I'm finding the effect spread on my ab armor now, the plate above the one that's been affected is getting close to looking the same and now the other too are starting to develop it.

Hi Guys, I'm the newest member to the leaky Batman club:

DSC02152.jpg

DSC02153.jpg

DSC02154.jpg

DSC02155.jpg

DSC02156.jpg

I got mine from Toys2 just like Geil and MF. Now, the question is:
To wipe or not to wipe?

It appears that the same or similar chemical makeup for vegetable oil is also a component of silicone oil. I would think that within a few weeks the oil should dry and the problem should go away.

:rolleyes:

Sweet lord. :slap

Hate to break it to you.. but that whole thing you listed is about OIL PAINTS. And how OIL PAINTS dry.

:lol:lol:lol:rotfl:rotfl

Actually, I looked at all different kinds of oils - it works for drying oils, oil paints, silicone oils, etc.

It will probably be fine in a few weeks.

I got mine from Toys2 just like Geil and MF. Now, the question is:
To wipe or not to wipe?

I would say, either start talks with Eric at Toys2 about it if you want to look into replacements and what options you have that way to try and get an oil free figure, or if you want to see what happens, I'd say don't wipe and let it be. I think enough of us wipers have found that's not taken care of it and can only risk rubbing paint away, seeing if it dissappears on it's own seems the best course at this point until we hear more from Hot Toys.

My Batman DX was delivered this week but because of the oil problem I haven't even dared to open him yet.

yeah look at me, a wiper as well :( nothing good came from it so I am leaving mine runny till they get back to me next week or so.

Thanks MF. Yeah, I think i'm gonna shoot Eric an e-mail and at least let him know i'm having the same issues as you guys. In the meantime, I think i'll leave Bats beltless and not wipe him. See how that works. It's too bad. Such a great looking figure, otherwise. I still have an order in with DCBS for the DC Direct batch. Hopefully, they'll have the issues worked out by then.

My Batman DX was delivered this week but because of the oil problem I haven't even dared to open him yet.

You might want to take a peek at him, at least. I received mine on Monday and just opened it tonight, and well, I think my pictures explain the rest. :lol

Part of me hopes to have to destroy this one for replacement, I'm curious to see what the base body they used to slim him down is like, if it's just the slim TT or some unique body designed for this.

Thanks MF. Yeah, I think i'm gonna shoot Eric an e-mail and at least let him know i'm having the same issues as you guys. In the meantime, I think i'll leave Bats beltless and not wipe him. See how that works. It's too bad. Such a great looking figure, otherwise. I still have an order in with DCBS for the DC Direct batch. Hopefully, they'll have the issues worked out by then.

It is a great figure, which is why I intend to do whatever to try and get one without this issue, if it weren't for the problem, I think I can safely say this would be one of my most favorite figures in my entire collection, he just looks very badass, the quality of how the suit is sculpted looks so nice. From a visual design standpoint they did a hell of a job on him.

As for Toys2, yeah, just let Eric know, I'm sure he's going to be ending up with a list of people, probably himself included, looking to hear something from HT to get this squared away, but, Eric's awesome for stuff like that and this incident just furthers my faith in ordering there, things happen with this stuff and I love knowing he's there to take care of any issues I run into.

I would say, either start talks with Eric at Toys2 about it if you want to look into replacements and what options you have that way to try and get an oil free figure, or if you want to see what happens, I'd say don't wipe and let it be. I think enough of us wipers have found that's not taken care of it and can only risk rubbing paint away, seeing if it dissappears on it's own seems the best course at this point until we hear more from Hot Toys.

I think that the oil residue is (even if I used the wrong wikipedia source) an organic substance that will likely go away within a couple of weeks. I strongly suggest patience on this issue rather than any replacement of the figure. Even if replacement is an option, it would be impractical: what are the dealers going to do for everyone? Take each batman out of the packaging and hang him upside down to see if he starts wetting himself with oil? That could take some time and as much as I'm sure there are some devoted and loyal dealers out there to their customers, I don't think they will go that far just to make a buck. As the old saying goes "Caveat Emptor."

Well, I don't think replacements are going to just happen, like the dealer just taking one out of their inventory and sending it to a customer, I'm thinking more of the dealers contacting HT and working things out, like what happened with the flaking paint and warped heads. This is going to be a process.

With regards to just leaving it be and seeing what happens, it's a good idea, but unless you can know for certain that'll be a cure, there's only small window in which to try and get a replacement should you want to do that, so anyone feeling that initiating that course of action needs to start the process fairly soon.

There's just no right answer to what should be done about this, all the options are a gamble, it's just a matter of what each person feels is the course they want to take. You can ride out the oil to see if it goes away and it doesn't or it does and the figure actually breaks down a bit because of, you can arrange a replacement, get one, and still have the problem. You could also leave the oil be and a month from now have a perfect Batman and move on, or HT could identify the problem and take care of its customers by replacing the defective ones.

As Obi-Wan would say, you must do what you feel is right.

Last edited:

Well, I don't think replacements are going to just happen, like the dealer just taking one out of their inventory and sending it to a customer, I'm thinking more of the dealers contacting HT and working things out, like what happened with the flaking paint and warped heads. This is going to be a process.

With regards to just leaving it be and seeing what happens, it's a good idea, but unless you can no for certain that'll be a cure, there's only small window in which to try and get a replacement should you want to do that, so anyone feeling that initiating that course of action needs to start the process fairly soon.

There's just no right answer to what should be done about this, all the options are a gamble, it's just a matter of what each person feels is the course they want to take.

I completely agree, it's a crapshoot; the answer is anyone's guess. I will, for one, when I get mine shipped to me, initiate a test of the figure; however, that may be as late as March and will probably be resolved by then. I don't blame you for wanting yours replaced, I just feel that someone (including myself if I had the figure) should try an alternative (variable) to see if the oil problem will work itself out naturally. Maybe all Batman needs is to be Ferberized.

Back