Metal Gear Solid collectibles

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I definitely need that kubrick fox now.
My gecco has been in storage for at least a year. Such an awesome piece it is.

Any one getting F4F Snake Bust ? The PO opened less than an hour ago.

1662609891553.png

Last edited:
man you even have the kubrick grey fox! I tried to get that guy back in the day, super hard. I had the mini but sold him, just ain't the same as 12 inch.
Gray fox kubrick isnt rare. The stealth ver is rare but they turn yellowish over time so not so stealthy no more.

I'm not an MGS expert but isn't Solid's eye color green and Big Boss's blue? Pretty sure that's what Kojima said in an interview for fans to differentiate the two.

I'm not an MGS expert but isn't Solid's eye color green and Big Boss's blue? Pretty sure that's what Kojima said in an interview for fans to differentiate the two.
Yes, you're correct. That is what I came across during my research (for painting a sculpt). Solid should have green eyes.

@R_R_X 5ktoys posted this picture saying that it has a "newly improved body" any information you can give us about what's been updated?

Thanks

Attachments

• 306897232_569681934949323_1356232043902716219_n.jpeg
    306897232_569681934949323_1356232043902716219_n.jpeg
    291 KB · Views: 0
I'm pretty dissapointed that I missed out on the 1/6 Venom Snake figure from WJL (or the LimToys camo version).
Back then I wasn't as in-the-know about third party figures and it doesn't seem like I'll be able to get my hands on one for any reasonable price.
They look cool, I like seeing the pictures.

I definitely need that kubrick fox now.
My gecco has been in storage for at least a year. Such an awesome piece it is.

Any one getting F4F Snake Bust ? The PO opened less than an hour ago.

View attachment 598204
I ended up going for the smaller codec version. I think that's a pretty neat gimmick, plus I think it just looks better/classier than the fully painted one.
Shipping is damn expensive from them but it seems like the codec version is exclusive to their website.

Regarding the eye color debate:

His first appearance in Metal Gear 1 depicts Solid Snake with obviously blue eyes.​
90lqQKl.png
His appearance in Metal Gear 2 (both original and revised art release) again has him with obviously blue eyes.​
soA5dp1.jpg
IXpIYKg.jpg
MGS1 doesn't have the texture resolution to depict his eye color one way or another (and concept art doesn't seem to show it either). So at that point in time the obvious assumption would default back to MG1&2's blue, because you'd have no reason to assume otherwise yet in 1998. Blue has already been previously established and not yet contradicted in any way.​
p7RGXbSm.jpg
Shaking things up, Metal Gear Solid 2 depicts them as very obviously green. Solidus, a perfect physical clone of Big Boss, is also depicted with the same green eyes (despite Big Boss having explicitly blue eyes).​
DzY5VsX.jpg
However in the Twin Snakes MGS1 remake (released after MGS2) they appear to be nearly equally blue-green. (By doing so, Silicon Knights may have been hedging their bets, unsure of which color is canon at this point.)​
p21kw2u.jpg
In MGS4 his eyes become slate gray during gameplay, nearly colorless. The trailers for the game show a more obvious blue. It may have something to do with the filters applied to the final game (which were warm tinted and heavily desaturated). Either way, they don't appear to be green anymore.​
nhqCK8n.jpg
58bHVzAm.jpg

So really, the only evidence for distinctly green eyes is MGS2 alone, and all other entries are either blue or ambiguous. But that's not MGS2's only problem: Big Boss' eyes have been very explicitly established as blue in dialogue and depicted as such in several later games, yet in MGS2 Solidus' eyes are the same color as Solid's despite being the identical BB clone (unlike Solid or Liquid). Therefore MGS2 establishes that Solid canonically has the same eye color as Big Boss, it's just that the hue (for both) has gone awry in that particular game.
BpRngsm.jpg

So with that in mind, I'm inclined to just call MGS2 an artistic aberration, because it gets both Solid's and Solidus' eye color wrong when compared to basically all other appearances and evidence, while through relation also establishes that Solid has the same eye color as Big Boss. Blue-green might have been the safer choice for F4F to use, but if you felt like you had to commit to one or the other, there's more evidence for blue. Especially when viewing MGS1 as a player would have in 1998, when there wasn't yet anything to contradict blue.

It's totally understandable why Solid's green eyes would be more well known, though. Totally reasonable assumption. Most people started the series with MGS1, and between 1&2&4, the only really obvious eye color to players during that time would have been MGS2's green.

tl;dr visual continuity is screwed up anyway so both colors are valid, but blue eyes are probably more canonically valid for Solid Snake in the scope of the entire series.
(personally i'd probably just have gone with blue-green and called it a day)

Last edited:
Aaaaaanyway I think the likeness to MGS1 Snake could be better. I think the bandana & hair is a little too tall, the nasolabial folds are a little too prominent, the eyes a little too small, the nose bridge slightly too wide. And on the codec version, the bandana needs to be painted darker, paint beneath the bandana around the eyes could be darker, and also paint on the sides/cheeks could be darker too to invoke the codec art better.

QLq6lKK.jpeg

hBMQlLe.png

Last edited:
Back