Marvel Studios - She Hulk

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn’t see Capt America being disrespected BUT I what I didn’t appreciate was the post credits scene immediately going into his virginity status quite specifically while my young son was watching.

During the episode the specifics were left out and it was only implied without detailed terminology being used.
Might be a tricky show then. From the trailers, it looks like Jen is only going to further the sexual narrative thanks to her new alter ego.

Especially since Hulk was standing there when they walked over to talk to Steve.
Yep, lol.

Banner: "Guys, I think we lost Steve forever, holy crap I can't believe this, we've got to figure something out!"

Falcon: "Yeah you keep at it, that random old guy on the bench just gave me a shield so I'm good. Too bad Steve died a virgin, catch you later."

Yep, lol.

Banner: "Guys, I think we lost Steve forever, holy crap I can't believe this, we've got to figure something out!"

Falcon: "Yeah you keep at it, that random old guy on the bench just gave me a shield so I'm good. Too bad Steve died a virgin, catch you later."

Although now that I think about it, I guess it would make sense for her to ask that question. It sounds like the general public thinks he died in the Endgame battle and wouldn't know he went back in time (I'm guessing, I haven't kept up on MCU shows). I did notice when Hulk referred to him it wasn't in the past tense so he obviously knows he's still alive, just old.

Although now that I think about it, I guess it would make sense for her to ask that question. It sounds like the general public thinks he died in the Endgame battle and wouldn't know he went back in time (I'm guessing, I haven't kept up on MCU shows). I did notice when Hulk referred to him it wasn't in the past tense so he obviously knows he's still alive, just old.
Yeah FFH opened with a montage showing the "deceased" Avengers and Cap was one of them. So I'm just pretending that Bruce knew that he didn't die a virgin but rather than explaining the whole time travel/Peggy deal just said it was with some other random chick.

You'd think she'd be more accepting to listen to Bruce who has been through absolute hell and can help her.

The fact is Bruce wasn't listening to HER for the better part of the episode and was projecting his problems/issues onto her without fully grasping her situation.

Ah the irony. Seems like 'the message' is still too subtle.

Dude, I was talking about someone who was just infected with gamma radiation and there is only one other person who has been there, done that. Nothing to do with male/female dynamics there.
Neither of them were listening to each other at the beginning but Hulk gets a pass and Jen doesn't. Why is that?

Neither of them were listening to each other at the beginning but Hulk gets a pass and Jen doesn't. Why is that?

Because Hulk is a scientist and has the experience and she doesn't. I mean if Bruce was on trial and not listening to her then I'd be saying he should have listened. Not everything is some sort of sexism, contrary to "the message."

Because Hulk is a scientist and has the experience and she doesn't. I mean if Bruce was on trial and not listening to her then I'd be saying he should have listened. Not everything is some sort of sexism, contrary to "the message."
True and she should have listened to him, but to quote Buffinator again...

Bruce wasn't listening to HER for the better part of the episode and was projecting his problems/issues onto her without fully grasping her situation.
He didn't know her whole situation, only the 'Hulk' side of it and his POV. So again, why is it "she isn't listening to him...BAD. He isn't listening to her...OK." ?

True and she should have listened to him, but to quote Buffinator again...

He didn't know her whole situation, only the 'Hulk' side of it and his POV. So again, why is it "she isn't listening to him...BAD. He isn't listening to her...OK." ?

It seemed her "whole situation" was just that she wanted to get back to her job, but the most pressing issue was getting her powers figured out first. Clark used to drive me nuts on Smallville when he wouldn't listen to anyone about his powers too, so I think we can end this conversation.

I enjoyed the first episode but I don't know what the hell they were trying to achieve with the Cap jokes.

His reaction to Natalie Dormer wanting a kiss in TFA clearly showed that he absolutely had not "been around the block" at that point, as did his discussions with Peggy and Howard about "fondue" and whatnot. So the writers obviously didn't even watch TFA. Check.

What makes it even more puzzling is the entire question of "did he die a virgin?" Okay so the writers didn't watch Endgame either? lol. Are we to believe that Falcon and Bucky told no one about their encounter with old Steve and the long married life that he had obviously lived? And that Steve himself never reconnected with any of his old friends? The whole thing is just so bizarre.

As for the completely out of character notion that he slept with either a dancer or a groupie on his USO tour was that intended to piss off Cap fans, fans with traditional values, or both? Or were they so clueless as to assume that such a revelation would actually make his character cooler? I really have no idea but the whole thing is so dumb that I'm just going to write it off as Bruce making something up out of the blue in order to get Jen to shut up about it.
I did not see the post credit scene.

I thought the discussion between Banner and Jen was fine. In fact I would say she was right. Cap was old fasion, never had the time, and his heart only belonged to one woman. If nobody knows about Caps trip to the past then it makes sense, she would maybe think that.

I mean you got this handsome man with a perfect body and a true hero and Patriot. But he may never have hooked up. I can see that being intersting to a single woman.

I dont recall what Bruce said exactly but I assume that he was just teasing Jen.. Or assuming no man with that sort of statue isnt knocking combat boots with someone.

Earlier in the thread I said that my main critique was that Bruce didn't really apologize for turning Jen into a monster, and she didn't really deal with the utter life-shattering TRAUMA in a realistic way.

I said the same thing about the Book of Boba Fett, where Fennec wakes up and Boba's like "Oh yeah...you have gross metal pistons inside your torso instead of organs. And you'll be like that for the rest of your life."

She should have had an absolute meltdown at the horror of her situation, not unlike the scene in the RoboCop remake where he sees that he's just a few scraps of tissue. But instead she's just like "What? Oh. OK. What do you wanna do?"

The general consensus was that it's ultimately a kid's Disney show, so they weren't gonna deal with traumatic body horror. Which is as good an explanation as any. I guess we just have to apply the same logic to this episode. It really only exists to get her as She-Hulk as quickly and simply as possible, and I suppose it worked. Certainly easier to explain than her getting a blood transfusion from Bruce....wasn't that the original story in the comics?

Ok so here are some of my thoughts and why I liked it.

While Professor Hulk (Smart Hulk) is not my fav incarnation of the angry green giant, I was happy to see one of the Original 4 (Yes Russo's its FOUR not three) being treated a bit more respectfully than what they gave us with Thor in his last film.

Amazing how both are comedies, but She Hulk feels so much less insulting to my intelligence.

I was worried that She hulk would show up and outdo Hulk in everything but that was not the case. He half assed it all and that was fine. Other then the yoga it was obvious who the strongest one there is, was.

The fight was about perfect. Bruce always holding back. It was not a fair fight and I thought they got that across.

Throwing a Boulder into space was nice to see also.

Hulk getting his arm back to working conditions fixes the stupid move by the Russo's. And while I will never forgive them for what they did to Hulk in IW by not giving Hulk, one of the original four, his moment to shine. This little 50 min opening at least let me know Hulk is somewhat back and will probably be back to proper form in a later film.

Personally I am a little tired of all the B list hero's marvel has been focusing on so having Hulk back was nice. I wish Thor could have made me feel the same way.

I thought she Hulk looked great. Felt like the comic come to life. I like the way the actress played her. This looks like it could be a fun show as long as they are respectful to the characters (I do worry about that abomination voice and how he will be treated).

Plenty of time for Disney+ to ruin this show but so far its off to a good start.

Earlier in the thread I said that my main critique was that Bruce didn't really apologize for turning Jen into a monster, and she didn't really deal with the utter life-shattering TRAUMA in a realistic way.

I said the same thing about the Book of Boba Fett, where Fennec wakes up and Boba's like "Oh yeah...you have gross metal pistons inside your torso instead of organs. And you'll be like that for the rest of your life."

She should have had an absolute meltdown at the horror of her situation, not unlike the scene in the RoboCop remake where he sees that he's just a few scraps of tissue. But instead she's just like "What? Oh. OK. What do you wanna do?"

The general consensus was that it's ultimately a kid's Disney show, so they weren't gonna deal with traumatic body horror. Which is as good an explanation as any. I guess we just have to apply the same logic to this episode. It really only exists to get her as She-Hulk as quickly and simply as possible, and I suppose it worked. Certainly easier to explain than her getting a blood transfusion from Bruce....wasn't that the original story in the comics?
Yep. Blood transfusion.

I thought it was handled fine for a comedy show.
Bruce was probably happy to have someone who could identify with him. I mean maybe she is his 2nd cousin. Hubba hubba

With the wokeness and She Hulk dating and all, do y’all think this is a good watch for my 5 and 8 year old daughters?

I’m hesitant now. I’ll def give it a watch first to make sure but I’m curious what the opinions are here.

My girls loved Ms. Marvel but I didn’t feel like that was pushing an agenda or being sexual or anything that would make for an inappropriate show. I feel like my daughters really were the target audience for that one.

With the wokeness and She Hulk dating and all, do y’all think this is a good watch for my 5 and 8 year old daughters?

I’m hesitant now. I’ll def give it a watch first to make sure but I’m curious what the opinions are here.

My girls loved Ms. Marvel but I didn’t feel like that was pushing an agenda or being sexual or anything that would make for an inappropriate show. I feel like my daughters really were the target audience for that one.
One of the early previews showed her apparently carrying a guy that she just met on Tinder off to her room to have sex on their very first date.

I do find MCU can be a bit weird when it comes to sex and violence. The Spider-Man films appear to be for the most part for younger people but one of them had a really crass scene with schoolgirls talking about which hero they would do. It felt so out of place. Ditto the violence which is becoming a bit more toned down but is pretty brutal in some of them, Winter Soldier and Civil War two examples.

Especially since Hulk was standing there when they walked over to talk to Steve.
Jen wasn't there though, and it was her who was speculating, not Banner.

So far in what was shown in the MCU, the fact that Old Cap was out and about seems to have been kept a secret to the public.

Ok so here are some of my thoughts and why I liked it.

While Professor Hulk (Smart Hulk) is not my fav incarnation of the angry green giant, I was happy to see one of the Original 4 (Yes Russo's its FOUR not three) being treated a bit more respectfully than what they gave us with Thor in his last film.

Amazing how both are comedies, but She Hulk feels so much less insulting to my intelligence.

I was worried that She hulk would show up and outdo Hulk in everything but that was not the case. He half assed it all and that was fine. Other then the yoga it was obvious who the strongest one there is, was.

The fight was about perfect. Bruce always holding back. It was not a fair fight and I thought they got that across.

Throwing a Boulder into space was nice to see also.

Hulk getting his arm back to working conditions fixes the stupid move by the Russo's. And while I will never forgive them for what they did to Hulk in IW by not giving Hulk, one of the original four, his moment to shine. This little 50 min opening at least let me know Hulk is somewhat back and will probably be back to proper form in a later film.

Personally I am a little tired of all the B list hero's marvel has been focusing on so having Hulk back was nice. I wish Thor could have made me feel the same way.

I thought she Hulk looked great. Felt like the comic come to life. I like the way the actress played her. This looks like it could be a fun show as long as they are respectful to the characters (I do worry about that abomination voice and how he will be treated).

Plenty of time for Disney+ to ruin this show but so far its off to a good start.

Just watched episode 1 and I agree with your analysis of the episode as well. I was kinda put off by her having to keep coming back to Steve Rogers having sex. And on top of that, extend it into an after credits scene.

If they wanted to pic a topic for some banter between the two of them, they could have went with something else for sure. That felt unnecessary and distracting. Especially if they’re aiming it at a younger audience.

Back