Marvel Studios - She Hulk

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, why not talk about Tony's sex life? Who didn't he nail in the Marvel Universe? In the comics he had a casual sex relationship with Black Widow in addition to all the models and actresses and stuff on the side.

Just watched episode 1 and I agree with your analysis of the episode as well. I was kinda put off by her having to keep coming back to Steve Rogers having sex. And on top of that, extend it into an after credits scene.

If they wanted to pic a topic for some banter between the two of them, they could have went with something else for sure. That felt unnecessary and distracting. Especially if they’re aiming it at a younger audience.
Yeah that was not cool I was very upset my son saw that post credits he was uncomfortable watching it with me.

I apologized to him that I didn’t catch that first and subjecting him to that dumb pointless discussion.

Yeah that was not cool I was very upset my son saw that post credits he was uncomfortable watching it with me.

I apologized to him that I didn’t catch that first and subjecting him to that dumb pointless discussion.
Finally watched the end credit.

Yeah. Dumb and pointless. Ruins Cap’s character a bit also.

Let's be honest, does anyone have literally any expectations from [current day] MCU? Come on. All I ask for are some cool dolls. I've waited my entire life to see Namor, Kang and Doom, and I'm getting what I'm getting. Like Brad said in The Counselor; "it's all ****; it's all ****".

43_The_counselor.gif

Underrated movie and I'm standing by it. I don't get why people hated it.
I wanted to like the Counselor. It has some of my favorite actors in it and the subject matter is interesting to me. Sadly after the passage of years the Counsleor still ranks among the worst I have seen.
It is possible that my initially high expectations set me up for disappointment in this case so that may be unfair. However, I have to say that I found the dialogue to be ponderous. It felt like whoever wrote the script tried too hard to make too much of the dialogue poetic or profound. It just didn’t feel real to me.

I wanted to like the Counselor. It has some of my favorite actors in it and the subject matter is interesting to me. Sadly after the passage of years the Counsleor still ranks among the worst I have seen.
It is possible that my initially high expectations set me up for disappointment in this case so that may be unfair. However, I have to say that I found the dialogue to be ponderous. It felt like whoever wrote the script tried too hard to make too much of the dialogue poetic or profound. It just didn’t feel real to me.
McCarthy wrote it himself. The dialogue critique is fair, because it can come off like that. I myself don't like it when midwit writers try and be "deep" while spouting purple prose nonsense. But I didn't really have that problem in The Counselor per se. The worst offenders are Diaz's character and the guy Fassbender gets in touch with towards the end through the phone (trying not to spoil anything for anyone reading). That last part is very "flowery" true. But the Counselor himself, Bardem, Pitt, they're relatively down to Earth, exchanging stories and anecdotes from which the conversations carry on the plot. The scene with the diamond dealer gets a little bit philosophical too, but I've never seen anyone comment on that so dunno how people reacted to it.

For my money, it's a problem of translating page to film. McCarthy was used to writing books, and not screenplays. So the entire movie feels like a series of conversational vignettes. I don't mind that because if the subject is engaging and the performances real, I like the genre. But it can go wrong easily, that is true. The Coens managed to turn McCarthy's words into a film and carry on the point. In TC he tried it himself to a more... "experimental" degree, I suppose? Some lines get too self-absorbed, but personally I think that as long as you can get the core point out of it without getting lost in contradictory epithets and any nonsense a lesser writer may add for fluff, I can deal with some tryhard elements. Even at its most self-indulgent, when the phonecall happens, you can easily understand that all the guy's telling the Counselor is "you ****** up moron".

It is a weird film in the sense that it always feels a bit out of touch. There is an atmosphere of dread that builds up and up. All the characters are a bit out of sync with their environments. I assume that's why it didn't feel real to you, and that's true, yes. But I find that it enhances the movie since few manage it. Although I suppose that what I see as a strength, could also be seen as a failure to be real. It could've been better, certainly. More polished and everything. But I don't get why everyone hated it and tore it down so. It easily gets its point across, it's got good performances, it keeps you waiting to see what happens. It succeeds as a movie IMO. I can understand some seeing it as mildling or too elf-absorbed for what is essentially a standard-fare thriller about hubris, but I've seen a whole lot worse stuff, and far more movies too much in love with their own pretentious shelves.

Finally watched the end credit.

Yeah. Dumb and pointless. Ruins Cap’s character a bit also.
I don't think it ruined Cap's character at all. If anything it made Jen look like many Freaks here in the Movie & TV Shows Forum pointlessly debating stupid stuff E.g. "Gurlz not gooder den bois in ackshun moobies!" ad nauseam. :lol

McCarthy wrote it himself. The dialogue critique is fair, because it can come off like that. I myself don't like it when midwit writers try and be "deep" while spouting purple prose nonsense. But I didn't really have that problem in The Counselor per se. The worst offenders are Diaz's character and the guy Fassbender gets in touch with towards the end through the phone (trying not to spoil anything for anyone reading). That last part is very "flowery" true. But the Counselor himself, Bardem, Pitt, they're relatively down to Earth, exchanging stories and anecdotes from which the conversations carry on the plot. The scene with the diamond dealer gets a little bit philosophical too, but I've never seen anyone comment on that so dunno how people reacted to it.

For my money, it's a problem of translating page to film. McCarthy was used to writing books, and not screenplays. So the entire movie feels like a series of conversational vignettes. I don't mind that because if the subject is engaging and the performances real, I like the genre. But it can go wrong easily, that is true. The Coens managed to turn McCarthy's words into a film and carry on the point. In TC he tried it himself to a more... "experimental" degree, I suppose? Some lines get too self-absorbed, but personally I think that as long as you can get the core point out of it without getting lost in contradictory epithets and any nonsense a lesser writer may add for fluff, I can deal with some tryhard elements. Even at its most self-indulgent, when the phonecall happens, you can easily understand that all the guy's telling the Counselor is "you ****** up moron".

It is a weird film in the sense that it always feels a bit out of touch. There is an atmosphere of dread that builds up and up. All the characters are a bit out of sync with their environments. I assume that's why it didn't feel real to you, and that's true, yes. But I find that it enhances the movie since few manage it. Although I suppose that what I see as a strength, could also be seen as a failure to be real. It could've been better, certainly. More polished and everything. But I don't get why everyone hated it and tore it down so. It easily gets its point across, it's got good performances, it keeps you waiting to see what happens. It succeeds as a movie IMO. I can understand some seeing it as mildling or too elf-absorbed for what is essentially a standard-fare thriller about hubris, but I've seen a whole lot worse stuff, and far more movies too much in love with their own pretentious shelves.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. Many of the things you said echo things that a really good friend of mine said about the film as well and I get what you both are saying. And I did enjoy the escalating tension and sense of dread and I did find the characters portrayed by Bardem, Pitt, and Fassbender to be compelling. But yes as both you and my friend suggest, for me the film was bogged down by the dialogue and execution I suppose.

Also the fact that I love “No Country For Old Men” may have created a situation that was unfair for “The Counselor” on its own merits.

I don't think it ruined Cap's character at all. If anything it made Jen look like many Freaks here in the Movie & TV Shows Forum pointlessly debating stupid stuff E.g. "Gurlz not gooder den bois in ackshun moobies!" ad nauseam. :lol
Well at first I guess I pictured Cap bragging about it to the other Avengers

But I could see someone like Bruce asking if he had been with a woman before.

I still say his heart and mind belonged to Peggie and he would have waited.

Well I assume you're happy that this show made Hulk a little cooler and Cap a littler lamer, lol.
Nah. I don’t need them messing with Cap. Keep giving Hulk moments to shine and get back to showing why he is “the strongest one there is” and I will forgive IW for its crimes against Hulk.

I still won’t forgive it for it’s lame ass time travel plot though :lol

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. Many of the things you said echo things that a really good friend of mine said about the film as well and I get what you both are saying. And I did enjoy the escalating tension and sense of dread and I did find the characters portrayed by Bardem, Pitt, and Fassbender to be compelling. But yes as both you and my friend suggest, for me the film was bogged down by the dialogue and execution I suppose.

Also the fact that I love “No Country For Old Men” may have created a situation that was unfair for “The Counselor” on its own merits.
If I've learned anything out of consuming so much media over the years, it's that ultimately it all comes down to how much something resonates with you. If you don't vibe with it, it's over. The vast majority of movies or shows and whatever else, don't really have anything that revelatory to say to someone past 15. At best you'll get watered down versions of a book or an ideology. So in all these visual mediums, what matters is this execution. If something isn't for you, if it doesn't "click", it's over. You can "like" it theoretically but in the end just be unable to gel with it. And it's fine. I'm of the opinion that we should give them a chance or two, because maybe you weren't in the right headscape when you tackled it, but if once, twice, thrice, something still leaves you cold, drop it.

The way I treat all such things these days is this. If it grabs me, whatever genre or story or anything it is, then I keep going. If not, I bail. Aesthetics trump all in easily consumable media.

8792361342396b640ea9c37c75ca1ec7.gif

. . . I still say his heart and mind belonged to Peggie and he would have waited.

Yeah - given the way that 1st movie progressed - 100% agree with this.

As regards Jen's curiosity - I simply don't understand why some folks are taking it as an insult to the character :dunno

I think Chris Evans' real-life behaviour & media comments have done more to sully the character (YMMV).

Well at first I guess I pictured Cap bragging about it to the other Avengers

But I could see someone like Bruce asking if he had been with a woman before.

I still say his heart and mind belonged to Peggie and he would have waited.
Nah, if he truly loved her he'd bite the bullet and plow through a handful of showgirls. The last thing he'd want is his first time with Peggy to be anti-climactic.

44a6f01ddbbb65f2fa1f7edeab056ef3.gif

:chase

Haven't read through all the replies in depth, because too much nitpicking and toxicity tends to ruin a show for me. But I saw a few people talking about this show being targeted for younger kids and the Captain America stuff not vibing with that. (Even though the trailer showing her hooking up with a guy)

I'm pretty sure this show is targeted at women and independence/empowerment. Just from a couple of lines that really stuck out to me, especially the one monologue from her about having to be in control of her emotions... Feels that way to me.

Much in the same way that Ms Marvel was a lot more targeted at a younger crowd and her cultural background, I think Marvel is aiming these Disney+ shows a little more than broad strokes like they used to.

Anyway, that being said, I really liked the first episode. I thought it was light and fun. But I tend to like everything to varying degrees and try not to be too critical.

Back